Best Running backs. Fullbacks. Quarterbacks. At Ironton??

bioTrain
Waterboy

Best Running backs. Fullbacks. Quarterbacks. At Ironton??

Post by bioTrain »

Running backs
1. Jermon Jackson
2. Bobby Brice
3. Jason Harmon
4. Hugh Donald-Scott
5. Jason Cain

Fullbacks
1. Heath Brownstead
2. Keith Wetzel
3. Matt White
4. Jared Murphy
5. Red Burcham

Quarterbacks
1. Mark Lutz
2. Aj Edwards
3. Robert Pleasant
4. Josh Sands
5. Travis Wylie

85inside
S

Re: Best Running backs. Fullbacks. Quarterbacks. At Ironton??

Post by 85inside »

Running backs

Jermon Jackson, Bobby Brice, Mike Smith, Jason Harmon and Jimmy Morris

Fullbacks
Dennis Bacon, Heath Brownstead, John Pemberton

Quarterbacks

Hal Spears, Mark Snyder, Mark Lutz

I dont remember what position Alfonzo Johnson played, beit fullback or tailback, but he was fun to watch when i was young. As a youngster I thought he was Jim Brown. I think Fonz wore number 44.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Running Backs.............Elvin Harvey-Clyde Nelson

Fullbacks.....................Marv Imes-Woody Hall

QBacks.......................Dick Playmale-John Leach-Charlie Fletcher

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Running Backs-Gabriel Lewis and George McAfee
Fullbacks-Tim Hodges and Dennis Bacon
Quarterbacks- Brent Wilcoxen and Jimmy Peyton

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

From an outsider, you know their have been some good ones when the past records show the success that Ironton has had and the opinions vary greatly from each individual about best at each position.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

is nobody but turkey including players from the past. hal spears was a great addition. does anyone remember bill tarzan osborne as a fullback. i seen films of him, he was like tackling a runaway train. and i know linemen weren't mentioned, but my dad was one of the most decorated fighting tigers of all time, as a guard and nose guard. at like 185 pounds.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Some other notables:

QB - Mike Brown (one of Ironton's best all-around athletes ever)
Mark Vass (one of Ironton's better throwing QBs)

FB - Bobby "Brick" Smith (one of Ironton's early weightlifters)
Terry Mowery (not huge, but fearless w/o regard for life or limb)

HB - Delandual Conwell (played on state champs w/scholly to UK)
Ricky "Meat" Boykin (teamed w/Brick Smith to form scary-good backfield)

And as for receivers, 2 of the best were Jimmy Payne (played in SEC at Miss St.) and James Taylor (great high jumper who starred on the gridiron at OU).

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:is nobody but turkey including players from the past. hal spears was a great addition. does anyone remember bill tarzan osborne as a fullback. i seen films of him, he was like tackling a runaway train. and i know linemen weren't mentioned, but my dad was one of the most decorated fighting tigers of all time, as a guard and nose guard. at like 185 pounds.

I'm with "Bait" on this one. Most of the answers you get on questions like this contain only names of players for the last 10-15 years. It doesn't matter what school you're asking about, before people can seriously answer these type questions we need to go to the history books and archives to find out who the real best players were. All these "young-uns" as I call them on here crack me up. I know this is an opinion forum but let's do some researching before we just blurt out someone's name because maybe you remember them playing and thought they were the best. Let's do some comparative analysis to come up with a real super team. I'm not from Ironton but I would like to see some of the older folks who remember both older and younger players (and I know there are some of you on here) who played in different era's piece together an all-star team of all positions. This would be very interesting, especially for the last say, 40 years which is truly the time frame in which Ironton has really become a name everyone all over the state recognizes. I'm sure that if we have any really "old timers" on here, they can probably piece together something from way back. Everyone always says it's hard to compare era's but can you imagine what some of the old player's that were great in their day could do if they had the weightrooms, equipment, uniforms/clothing and the field turf and some of these things the kids have today !!!!!

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I had Hall of Fame George McAfee in my list and I don't think anyone mentioned anyone older than that player.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Just who are the "young-uns" on this thread? :lol: :lol:

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Seriously, as good as IrontonFootbal.com is, the one thing it is missing is individual statistics of former players. Not sure where that information resides, if at all. It may all be lost to history. How many yards rushing did Jermon Jackson have? How many yards passing did Hal Spears throw for? Who has scored the most TDs in an Ironton Fighting Tiger uniform? Would the Tribune have this information? The Tiger Clan? The coaches or athletic department? Gator Jones? If ever complied, these statistics would spark a lot of friendly debates and bring back a lot of memories. And, FANOSPORTS, you are right, there are a lot of historical greats who have not been mentioned on here.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

There are NO individual stats kept at Ironton. I've checked...no one has them...or at least, they're denying having them if they do

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Charlton "Shorty" Davies (IHS 1917)- Ohio State and Ironton Tanks . Premier player at IHS before the McAfee family arrived in town.

George 'Lefty' McAfee's brothers were all outstanding athletes. Wes McAfee (played in backfield with George at Duke and later played in the NFL with Philadelphia Eagles), John McAfee (lettered at Ohio State in 1933 and 1934)...just one large family full of athletes!

In the school's long and rich football history, only four players played in the NFL. George McAfee, Wes McAfee, Coy Bacon and Danny Pride.

Half of that list is named McAfee!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

very good point henry

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Pembroke:

Jermon Jackson, a two-time first-team DIII All-Ohio RB, rushed for 1,849 yards and scored 29 TDs his senior year to earn the Ohio DIII back of the year. Jermon's performance his senior year resulted in USA Today naming him an honorable-mention prep All-American.

During his career at Ironton High, Jackson totaled 4,452 yards and 70 TDs.

Jackson played well at OSU when given the opportunity to play. Jackson had 698 career yards on just 137 carries- an impressive 5.1 yards per carry average. Jackson, a two-time OSU letterman (1995 and 1996), scored seven TDs in his career. Jermon also tied Archie Griffin's record for most TDs by a frosh in a single game.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Thanks, Henry!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

honorable mention, you gotta be kidding. with those kind of numbers.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

henrysteele wrote:Pembroke:

Jermon Jackson, a two-time first-team DIII All-Ohio RB, rushed for 1,849 yards and scored 29 TDs his senior year to earn the Ohio DIII back of the year. Jermon's performance his senior year resulted in USA Today naming him an honorable-mention prep All-American.

Jackson played well at OSU when given the opportunity to play. Jackson had 698 career yards on just 137 carries- an impressive 5.1 yards per carry average. Jackson, a two-time OSU letterman (1995 and 1996), scored seven TDs in his career. Jermon also tied Archie Griffin's record for most TDs by a frosh in a single game.

You got to remember something about those stats too most of those were gained by only playing 3 quarters or less. You can probably count on 1 hand the number of games except for playoffs that Jermon actually played all 4 quarters.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thats true as well.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

tigercannon71 wrote:
henrysteele wrote:Pembroke:

Great point. I think of the 1981 season with a backfield of:
Mark Snyder-Ok State/Marshall
Mike Smith-Naval Academy
Jim Morris--Morehead State
Dennis Bacon--Syracuse
Many of the games were over by halftime. Dennis Bacon was a superfreak.

You got to remember something about those stats too most of those were gained by only playing 3 quarters or less. You can probably count on 1 hand the number of games except for playoffs that Jermon actually played all 4 quarters.

Return to “Football”