Division IV: Region 15

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Division IV: Region 15

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth's run defense needs to be much better to go 10-0 with West, Wheelersburg, and Ironton on their schedule.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Trojan Dave, come watch me eat that 'free' footlong sub from Subway with a bottled water n' chips anytime after the 29th of October! ;-)

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I think Portsmouth will be very good this year. Much like basketball, they have an unreal group of athletes. The situation with PHS will be the same, they will need discipline and defense to win the big games. They may outscore alot of folks this season, but the farther you get up the ladder, the better defense you must play.
Ironton has scored 208 points in the past 5 games vs. PHS. That is an average of 42 points per game. if Ironton scores 42 this season, I like their chances against anyone.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with the comments about Portsmouth's defense........we do return 7 starters on defense from last year, and have added Andrew Bendolph at CB and Mason Jordan at S.......the Trojan defense should be faster than last season's edition......so it makes sense that our stop troops will be better........and we were without defensive stalwart Tre Underwood for last year's Ironton game........the Tigers were a better team on that night, but not having Underwood did hurt us somewhat. Underwood ended up, I believe, the leading tackler on the team.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

kantuckyII: There's a Subway right down the street from where biggdowgg lives, so make sure you've got enough gas in your tank to make that drive to Portsmouth.......he said he'll make sure he has an empty stomach on that day!!........ :-D

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

According to Irontonfootball.com, Portsmouth has scored 144 points vs. Ironton the last 5 games.........for an average of almost 29 points a game.......not too shabby.......of course we won only 1 of those 5 games, that being a 41-18 win at the Tigers' homecoming in 2007.........but also scored 42, 27, and 28 in 3 of the losses........the 1-9 Trojans of 2008 lost to IHS 37-6.......but overall the Trojans haven't had too much trouble putting up points on the Fighting Tigers' stop troops........and most of those games were not decided until the 4th quarter, so it's not like Ironton subbed liberally after halftime.......even in last year's game it was 42-28 in the 4th quarter.......and Portsmouth had possession of the ball.......but then IHS sealed the game with a clinching TD.

Portsmouth hasn't had a really good defensive showing vs. Ironton in quite a while, but this could be the year that the Trojans can get more 3 and outs or at least keep the Tigers bottled up at their end of the field. I don't expect to completely shut Ironton down........nobody does that........but we should be very capable of getting enough stops to win the game.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Portsmouth has scored 144 points vs. Ironton the last 5 games.........for an average of almost 29 points a game.......not too shabby.......of course we won only 1 of those 5 games,
Wow, great way to put a positive spin on four losses ;-)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Got bored and watched the West-Portsmouth and Burg-Portsmouth games lately on Time Warner. It basically backed up what we've been saying here. Portmouth has tons of speed, but when West made some changes to the O-line and settled down they basically ran at will on Portmouth from then on out. They almost came back to win after getting down 14-0. I'm sure Burg used the West film. They just ran Portmouth off the field.

Like we said they have a ton of speed and can really defend the pass, but that is basically useless against West, Ironton, and Wheelersburg. They use that speed to shoot gaps and get alot of big plays, but you see very little read/reacting from the LB's. They are in trouble against a good disciplined running team.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

siderman, engage Biggdowgg, he's willing to give away a free foot long sub to any team who can beat his P-town Trojans. I know I've got mine reserved! ;-)

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Is this the same Bendolf that transferred to Wheelersburg? If so, why move back?
trojandave wrote:I agree with the comments about Portsmouth's defense........we do return 7 starters on defense from last year, and have added Andrew Bendolph at CB and Mason Jordan at S.......the Trojan defense should be faster than last season's edition......so it makes sense that our stop troops will be better........and we were without defensive stalwart Tre Underwood for last year's Ironton game........the Tigers were a better team on that night, but not having Underwood did hurt us somewhat. Underwood ended up, I believe, the leading tackler on the team.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

kantuckyII wrote:siderman, engage Biggdowgg, he's willing to give away a free foot long sub to any team who can beat his P-town Trojans. I know I've got mine reserved! ;-)
I do like subs, but I don't like crow. I'll be careful here. :122249

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

Post by D_Journey9 »

siderman wrote:Got bored and watched the West-Portsmouth and Burg-Portsmouth games lately on Time Warner. It basically backed up what we've been saying here. Portmouth has tons of speed, but when West made some changes to the O-line and settled down they basically ran at will on Portmouth from then on out. They almost came back to win after getting down 14-0. I'm sure Burg used the West film. They just ran Portmouth off the field.

Like we said they have a ton of speed and can really defend the pass, but that is basically useless against West, Ironton, and Wheelersburg. They use that speed to shoot gaps and get alot of big plays, but you see very little read/reacting from the LB's. They are in trouble against a good disciplined running team.

Very very good point....my opinion ....i think when west plays portsmouth...Pendleton is goin to come out of that game with possibly the best rushing stats any individual has ever gotten against Portsmouth....he is just too big for anybody on that D to slow him down

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

siderman wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:siderman, engage Biggdowgg, he's willing to give away a free foot long sub to any team who can beat his P-town Trojans. I know I've got mine reserved! ;-)
I do like subs, but I don't like crow. I'll be careful here. :122249
...but, if you're willing to eat crow every once in a while (and I've dined on it on many occasions) then, the rest always taste so sweet! :lol:

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I'll stick by my prediction for the Trojans.......I'm not afraid to make a 10-0 forecast for my team when I feel it is warranted........and if I'm wrong.......so what.......it won't ruin my day......I'll still love those Trojans..........I look on the positive side of life........I'd rather be optimistic and wrong then pessimistic and right!!

There's a whole lot of people in this world who look on the negative side of everything.......and they are not pleasant to be around!!

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

The Bucks will be lucky to get to 500 this year. Sorry but no playoffs for the buckeyes.........................

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Looks like Ironton at Portsmouth (week 10) will be a good one!

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

How did everyone make out this week? Who won? Who lost? What surprises were out there?

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Not much conversation here... Wellston won, West won, Ironton, Portsmouth... the list goes on I think this is one of the deepest regions out there

catfan4ever
Waterboy

Post by catfan4ever »

Utica (Grandview 42-7), Heath (Madison 33-0) and Johnstown ( Granville 41-14) all won last week with Johnstown's win being a shocker. These three teams play each other this season with Heath hosting Johnstown and Utica the next two Fridays.
As far as these teams go, Johnstown and Utica are polar opposites. Johnstown is very physical with a run oriented offense. They threw two passes and completed both...to the other team. Utica is a pass oriented team that runs the QB out of passing formations. They have a duo of Jason Hoar (QB) and Scott Cline (WR) that are as good as any in this region.
Heath fields an experienced defense (10 starters from last year's team). The offense returns 7 starters but lost all-ohio Charles Gresham in the backfield, so they will not be a quick strike offense as in past years.
I see two of these three teams making it to week 11, with one hosting a game.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Hartley looks to be strong this season. They will play a very tough schedule as well. They travel to Ironton in week 6 I believe. That will be a playoff atmosphere in Ironton.
I also like Coshocton to be a factor in this race. Dont be fooled by their game with East Knox. East Knox is small, but regularly have very tough football teams.

Return to “Football”