The future of the TVC.

DILLIFAG
Waterboy

The future of the TVC.

Post by DILLIFAG »

The letters will come to stand for "Tomcat Victims Checklist".

Seriously, word on the street is that River Valley is about to join. what is the scoop?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: The future of the TVC.

Post by Raiderball »

Been hearing those rumors for a few years now. Who knows whats going on there.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I figure at some point RV will ask for a vote....

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Word on the street is that River Valley attended the last TVC meeting in Athens and they will petition for membership into the TVC in the near future. River Valley would have the votes to be admitted from what I hear.

BUT.....it might not stop with River Valley. Adding River Valley gives the Ohio Division 7 schools, an odd number.

The Hocking has 9 schools.....an odd number. No Hocking school wants to move up to the Ohio, as all Hocking schools will be D6 within the next couple years.

So here is the likely future of the TVC ---- an 8 team Ohio and 10 team Hocking............OR.....the creation of a third division, with 6 teams in each division.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

What it will be EVENTUALLY is just what it was 40 years ago before the TVC was formed:

HOCKING : Mostly the OLD SVAC (Eastern, Southern, South Gallia(Hannan Trace / Southwestern) along with Wahama who has played all these schools forever. River Valley (North Gallia, Kyger Creek & part of Southwestern) will be in the Ohio. Throw in Belpre, Miller, Trimble and Fed Hock & Waterford.

OHIO: Mostly the OLD SEOAL (Meigs, Wellston, N-Y, Athens) along with Jackson & Gallipolis when the SEOAL folds. Throw in Alexander & Vinton County.

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

I am hearing if RV joins league will split to 3 divisions.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

:aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa115

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I dont ever see Jackson or Gallia in the TVC.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Jackson tried once already and was voted down 10-3 with Athens being the only Ohio division team voting yes. Gallia would only try to join if they had no other options.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

gahs4ever wrote:RV should be in the Hocking. Then you wouldnt have the odd numbers in both divisions.

River Valley is too big for the Hocking. I know their athletic programs aren't the greatest, but they are still a division 4 school.

River Valley should have been in the TVC Ohio a long time ago.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

gahs4ever wrote:If River Valley is too big for the Hocking, what does that make Athens in the Ohio?

You do have a point. Although I think most people in southeastern Ohio know how much of a joke that is.

Maybe River Valley should follow the Athens blueprint. River Valley is a division 4 school, and the Hocking is predominantly a division 6 league. I'm just saying :aaaaa12

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I know this is beating a dead horse just talking about this again but, the league will allmost definately expand to 18 teams in 3 divisions as soon as the can find schools to come on board. I would guess Warren Local and River Valley would be the first choices to the league to be added to a "bigger" school division if both were interested as has been speculated. The logical thing to do after that would be to separate the 6 smallest schools out into the "small" school division leaving them to find one school in division 4, 5, or 6 to fill the "middle" division this would give the league the most flexability to add the last team as the middle division would cover teams allready in division 4, 5, and 6. I haven't heard any comments about Fort Frye D5 (would be in the middle division) but with their location I would think they may give it a look. I know you can't keep everyone happy and people will complain about a league with three division not really being one league and that may be true to an extent but something has to happen with a 9 team Hocking division and I don't see contraction of the league happening anytime soon. Possible TVC in 2012 as I see it.

Ohio Division

1. Athens
2. Alexander
3. Meigs
4. River Valley
5. Vinton Co.
6. Warren Local

Muskingum Division (Just a guess as it is the 3rd river valley locally)

1. Belpre
2. Federal Hocking
3. Fort Frye (again this could be any # of teams and I'm not trying to imply anything by listing them)
4. Nelsonville-York
5. Trimble (largest of the D6 schools and the allready plays schools in this mythical division)
6. Wellston (smallest of the D4 schols could be D5 at the next count)

Hocking Division

1. Eastern
2. Miller
3. Southern
4. South Gallia
5. Wahama
6. Waterford

What do you guys think?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The problem with that lineup is that its based on current school size and those numbers will change in the future. Example -- Trimble has "Waterford-like" numbers in the elementary grades. Belpre and Fed Hock will be D6 if not the next count than the one after that.

Unless several larger schools are added, I think NY would remain in the "big school" division. NY has always played larger schools throughout its history. NY has winning records against every school listed in the big school example above, so the Buckeyes can compete at the bigger school level.

The TVC Hocking is large enough that you could almost split that group up into two different divisions.

Warren tried to join the TVC not long ago and they were just shy of having enough votes. Maybe they will have the votes in the future. Maybe not.

I would think Point Pleasant would have to at least be on a short list of possible additions. Point Pleasant and Wahama are part of the the same school district, as are River Valley and South Gallia. I would think it would be convenient for those school districts to have each of their high schools in the same league.

I don't think Jackson would ever have the votes to get into the TVC, or Gallia Academy. But if Logan and Chillicothe bolt for the Mid State League when that league announces its expansion plans next year, that would leave the SEOAL with only 4 schools, and each of those schools would almost have to start thinking of whats best for their programs in the future. Portsmouth is too far away to be in the TVC. I don't see Jackson or Gallia Academy getting an invite. Warren might be able to come back. If the new schools vote in favor of Warren, that might be enough to give them the votes they need....assuming each TVC school voted as it did the last time Warren tried to join. But, I could also see Warren joining the MVL or ECOL as well. At any rate, Warren would almost certainly find a home if something happened to the SEOAL. I don't know about Jackson and Gallia Academy. The SCOL turned Jackson down in the past. If the SCOL turned them down again, all that would be left would be the SOC and OVC.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I think it would be a good fit for NY in other sports tho. For some reason NY kids start to lose interest after football season (at least when I was there).

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

96 I understand your points but let me make a few counter arguements. I agree that other than possibly Warren I don't see any other SEOAL teams entering the fold unless Point would think of making the jump but with WVA being a week off of Ohio in schedule it would make scheduling tough for them week 10. Secondly even if Belpre of Fed or someone else dropped a division unless their curreent enrollment at that time was drastically less the break down would remain the same. If they get 2 bigger schools say Warren and Point for example then Alex would have the lowest numbers and would drop to the middle division. This is based solely on current #'s but adjustments could allways be made down the line if necessary. Now as for N-Y I understand that in football they are able to compete against the larger schools and the would like the computer points better in the bigger division if they are able to continue to play at a high level every year but football isn't the only sport to consider when aligning the divisions. I'm sure the non division portion of the N-Y schedule would find Athens and Alex on it as they are inter county games that draw huge gates. Obviously we can speculate on this kind of stuff till the cows come home and until whatever is going to happen happens I'm sure we will and that's why this site is able to continue to operate.

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse just talking about this again but, the league will allmost definately expand to 18 teams in 3 divisions as soon as the can find schools to come on board. I would guess Warren Local and River Valley would be the first choices to the league to be added to a "bigger" school division if both were interested as has been speculated. The logical thing to do after that would be to separate the 6 smallest schools out into the "small" school division leaving them to find one school in division 4, 5, or 6 to fill the "middle" division this would give the league the most flexability to add the last team as the middle division would cover teams allready in division 4, 5, and 6. I haven't heard any comments about Fort Frye D5 (would be in the middle division) but with their location I would think they may give it a look. I know you can't keep everyone happy and people will complain about a league with three division not really being one league and that may be true to an extent but something has to happen with a 9 team Hocking division and I don't see contraction of the league happening anytime soon. Possible TVC in 2012 as I see it.

Ohio Division

1. Athens
2. Alexander
3. Meigs
4. River Valley
5. Vinton Co.
6. Warren Local

1. Belpre
2. Federal Hocking
3. Fort Frye (again this could be any # of teams and I'm not trying to imply anything by listing them)
4. Nelsonville-York
5. Trimble (largest of the D6 schools and the allready plays schools in this mythical division)

Hocking Division

1. Eastern
2. Miller
3. Southern
4. South Gallia
5. Wahama
6. Waterford

What do you guys think?
Not a bad idea, but I see a couple of flaws...

Fort Frye won't leave the PVC, period.

You will never get Alex or Vinton to vote for anybody that they think might beat them so that leaves out Warren, Jackson or Gallia getting yes votes from them, but the other schools could still vote either of these in since it takes only a 75% yes to get in. My guess is, Alex and VC are wishing Athens would just go away but they can't do anything about it now.

Going to 3 divisions of 6 each is the best idea for the TVC. They need to tell RV to get 2 other schools to come in with them. Preferably larger schools for the Ohio.

I will use your 3 divisions and make it look like this using current OHSAA and WVSSAA numbers for boys sports, girls are very much the same...

OHIO
Athens 363
Jackson 301
VC 296
Gallia 268
Meigs 223
Alex 206
(not a bad spread of numbers from largest to smallest. You could sub Warren-362 for Jackson or Gallia if needed since they missed getting back in by 1 vote the last time.)

MUSKINGUM
RV 190
Wellston 181
NY 161
Belpre 140
Fed Hock 138
Trimble 112
(even better spread from largest to smallest)

HOCKING
Wahama 110
S.G. 100
Miller 97
Eastern 95
Southern 91
Waterford 90
(a difference of 20 boys from largest to smallest, can't get much better than that)

This would be the logical thing to do but we all know how logic works with the TVC ADs and principals. Instead of using the "ol boy" voting scheme, the TVC schools should look at and vote according to what is best for their own school, not what is best for a school that is much larger and runs from competition.

You currently have 15 schools in the TVC. You need 75% to vote yes to get someone in. That means 11 votes. If you take the 6 schools in the proposed Hocking division and the 5 existing schools in the proposed Muskingum divisions, you have your 11 yes votes for 75%. Athens will vote yes so that makes 12 regardless of how VC or Alex votes. My guess is Meigs will vote yes so you have 13. You get your 3 new teams, 3 new divisions, 3 champs instead of 2 for most sports and 3 divisions that are more competitive, especially for the smaller schools.

Of course, I don't think this will fly with the TVC knowing the lack of intestinal fortitude of some of their ADs and principals.
Last edited by ccrunner on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

ccrunner wrote:
A-Town Big Dog wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse just talking about this again but, the league will allmost definately expand to 18 teams in 3 divisions as soon as the can find schools to come on board. I would guess Warren Local and River Valley would be the first choices to the league to be added to a "bigger" school division if both were interested as has been speculated. The logical thing to do after that would be to separate the 6 smallest schools out into the "small" school division leaving them to find one school in division 4, 5, or 6 to fill the "middle" division this would give the league the most flexability to add the last team as the middle division would cover teams allready in division 4, 5, and 6. I haven't heard any comments about Fort Frye D5 (would be in the middle division) but with their location I would think they may give it a look. I know you can't keep everyone happy and people will complain about a league with three division not really being one league and that may be true to an extent but something has to happen with a 9 team Hocking division and I don't see contraction of the league happening anytime soon. Possible TVC in 2012 as I see it.

Ohio Division

1. Athens
2. Alexander
3. Meigs
4. River Valley
5. Vinton Co.
6. Warren Local

1. Belpre
2. Federal Hocking
4. Nelsonville-York

Hocking Division

1. Eastern
2. Miller
3. Southern
4. South Gallia
5. Wahama
6. Waterford

What do you guys think?

You will never get Alex or Vinton to vote for anybody that they think might beat them so that leaves out Warren, Jackson or Gallia getting yes votes from them, but the other schools could still vote either of these in since it takes only a 75% yes to get in. My guess is, Alex and VC are wishing Athens would just go away but they can't do anything about it now.

Going to 3 divisions of 6 each is the best idea for the TVC. They need to tell RV to get 2 other schools to come in with them. Preferably larger schools for the Ohio.

I will use your 3 divisions and make it look like this using current OHSAA and WVSSAA numbers for boys sports, girls are very much the same...

OHIO
Athens 363
Jackson 301
VC 296
Gallia 268
Meigs 223
Alex 206
(not a bad spread of numbers from largest to smallest. You could sub Warren-362 for Jackson or Gallia if needed since they missed getting back in by 1 vote the last time.)

MUSKINGDOM
RV 190
Wellston 181
NY 161
Eastern 154
Belpre 140
Fed Hock 138

HOCKING
Trimble 112
Wahama 110
S.G. 100
Miller 97
Southern 91
Waterford 90
(a difference of 22 boys from largest to smallest, can't get much better than that)

This would be the logical thing to do but we all know how logic works with the TVC ADs and principals. Instead of using the "ol boy" voting scheme, the TVC schools should look at and vote according to what is best for their own school, not what is best for a school that is much larger and runs from competition.

You currently have 15 schools in the TVC. You need 75% to vote yes to get someone in. That means 11 votes. If you take the 6 schools in the proposed Hocking division and the 5 existing schools in the proposed Muskingdom divisions, you have your 11 yes votes for 75%. Athens will vote yes so that makes 12 regardless of how VC or Alex votes. My guess is Meigs will vote yes so you have 13. You get your 3 new teams, 3 new divisions, 3 champs instead of 2 for most sports and 3 divisions that are more competitive, especially for the smaller schools.

Of course, I don't think this will fly with the TVC knowing the lack of intestinal fortitude of some of their ADs and principals.

well i hope it dont fly its hard enough watching trimble play some of the teams in the hocking the way it is.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I think your numbers for Eastern are off. Did you look up Reedsville Eastern? They have 95 boys. Beaver Eastern has 154 boys.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

DILLIGAF wrote:
ccrunner wrote:

Ohio Division

1. Athens
2. Alexander
3. Meigs
4. River Valley
5. Vinton Co.
6. Warren Local

1. Belpre
2. Federal Hocking
4. Nelsonville-York

Hocking Division

1. Eastern
2. Miller
3. Southern
4. South Gallia
5. Wahama
6. Waterford

What do you guys think?

OHIO
Athens 363
Jackson 301
VC 296
Gallia 268
Meigs 223
Alex 206

MUSKINGDOM
RV 190
Wellston 181
NY 161
Eastern 154
Belpre 140
Fed Hock 138

HOCKING
Trimble 112
Wahama 110
S.G. 100
Miller 97
Southern 91
Waterford 90
(a difference of 22 boys from largest to smallest, can't get much better than that)

You currently have 15 schools in the TVC. You need 75% to vote yes to get someone in. That means 11 votes. If you take the 6 schools in the proposed Hocking division and the 5 existing schools in the proposed Muskingdom divisions, you have your 11 yes votes for 75%. Athens will vote yes so that makes 12 regardless of how VC or Alex votes. My guess is Meigs will vote yes so you have 13. You get your 3 new teams, 3 new divisions, 3 champs instead of 2 for most sports and 3 divisions that are more competitive, especially for the smaller schools.

well i hope it dont fly its hard enough watching trimble play some of the teams in the hocking the way it is.
Eastern has 95 or 96 boys not 154

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I really don't see Gallia ever wanting to join this league unless for some reason they had to. Jackson I know has tried but I think it'd still be a struggle for them to get the votes. Warren was just short and in my opinion is a great fit both geographically and size wise for a bigger division. River Valley and Point Pleasant would be great fits also for the same reason and would allow Alex to move to the middle division possibly making the votes required for the bigger schools mentioned easier. And again I know it's a football forum we're on here but league expansion would have to benefit schools in travel and competition across the board for both boys and girls sports. If you could get Point, Warren and River the league contests would be much like they were 6 or 7 years ago with a few exceptions. Athens, Meigs, Point Pleasant, River Valley, Vinton Co. and Warren in the big school division. Alexander, Belpre, Federal Hocking, Nelsonville-York, Trimble and Wellston in the mid size division. Eastern, Miller, Southern, So. Gallia, Wahama and Waterford in the smaller division. That would be pretty cool in my opinion but then again I don't have a vote so I'll just sit back and see what happens with the rest of you.

Return to “Football”