Greatest Multi-Sport Athlete to come out of the S.E.O.A.L

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Greatest Multi-Sport Athlete to come out of the S.E.O.A.

Post by loganlocos »

I92 -

In a word, No.

You are absolutely correct.

Olympic Caliber in Volleyball, Basketball, and Track & Field. 12 Varsity Letters, State Champion in Shot Put and Discus, 3-time Gold Medalist in Basketball, and on and on and on.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

In a word yes.....Tom Spencer

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Ironman92 wrote:I've got the winner of this thread. You gotta go a little outside of the box.

Katie Smith anyone? Is there anyone remotely close to her all-around accomplishments?
I have to agree ! How could we have forgot about the great one who put Logan on the map,well Scott gasser just moved to number 2 in my booK,,I mean she was only all state in everything she did :122246 and had state records in track for some time before they were broken and you didn't want to be on the other side of the net when she would get ready to spike.

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

John Shoemaker, Waverly. Went on to Miami of Ohio and played basketball and baseball. Only reason he went to Miami is because they let him play two sports. The bigger schools wouldn't. Recruited by the University of Michigan to play QB. Was drafted by the SF Giants out of HS and the LA Dodgers out of college (still in Dodgers organization, 33 years). Has been very successful as a Coach and Manager. Drafted by the Chicago Bulls out of college (went to camp and was cut). Was all-state in three sports in HS. Also, a 4.0 student. Miami played two years in the College World Series (never making it to Omaha). John played with two former Reds (Charlie Liebrandt and Bill Doran). In basketball they went to the NCAA tourney. Upsetting defending National Champions Marquette John's senior year. One of John's teammate was former OSU Head Coach Randy Ayers. John got into alittle scrap with Jerome Whitehead. BTW, Whitehead got the gate. John wasn't much of a fighter.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Katie is it. Was in HS at the same time, she was amazing! Made me go and watch girls sports to see how great she was.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

phil king, pete anderson,donnie johnson :mrgreen:

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

WWH wrote:John Shoemaker, Waverly. Went on to Miami of Ohio and played basketball and baseball. Only reason he went to Miami is because they let him play two sports. The bigger schools wouldn't. Recruited by the University of Michigan to play QB. Was drafted by the SF Giants out of HS and the LA Dodgers out of college (still in Dodgers organization, 33 years). Has been very successful as a Coach and Manager. Drafted by the Chicago Bulls out of college (went to camp and was cut). Was all-state in three sports in HS. Also, a 4.0 student. Miami played two years in the College World Series (never making it to Omaha). John played with two former Reds (Charlie Liebrandt and Bill Doran). In basketball they went to the NCAA tourney. Upsetting defending National Champions Marquette John's senior year. One of John's teammate was former OSU Head Coach Randy Ayers. John got into alittle scrap with Jerome Whitehead. BTW, Whitehead got the gate. John wasn't much of a fighter.
I agree. watched Shoemaker light ,my Trojans up his senior year in basketball. One of the best baseline shooters I have seen.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah....shame on you Smith forgetters.

I witnessed one of those "other side of the net moments"....Katie went up for the 15th point to win game 1 @ Jackson....ball was not seen but somehow dug and it went right back over the net to her and she smeared it off that same girl's nose......that girl didn't play again that night.

I love how she won the shot put and discus in state performance fashion and then just for the hell of it would go over and win the 100m.

THe first time I saw her play basketball as a frosh on the road at SEOAL favorite Jackson....she came out at half of the JV game with other Logan varsity players in her gow-awful late 80's outfit with accompanying hair and we were making fun of her about every way possible.....and during this time we began to notice that this girl had not missed a shot in about 5 minutes of shooting......then later came out for warmups.......tore off the hideous snapped-side pants and smacked her hand off the backboard on her first layup.....then once she switched to the rebounding line came in for the rebound and grabbed the freaking rim.....we nearly crapped our pants and then she went out and scored 28 in the first half in completely dominating fashion..at age 14 yrs and some 6 months.

Needless to say....if her Logan team of any kind traveled to Jackson....we were there to witness. To this day I've seen nothing even remotely close to her dominance. We were freshman boys making fun of this girl.....and by halftime we were seriously debating if she could beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1. I have zero doubt that she could've scored 50-60+ per game.

During any volleyball match you'll see the top hitters busting the ball off of perfect sets during warmups.....Her sr year in volleyball she took the volleyball and dunked it on the basketball rim.

One accolade left off....she was THE National Gatorade High School Athlete of the year....along with being a 4.0 student

Rumors were that she bench pressed 220 lbs....this I do not know.....I witnessed all the others.

If I had one thing in sports I could go back and watch again in person....it would be Katie Smith playing high school basketball.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I92 -

Just to make it more disgusting, her older brother was a starter and National Champion at Mt. Union and younger brother is still the league record holder in the discus and went to OU for football and track & field. John is the football coach at Bexley HS and Tom is a doctor.

Great family full of great athletes.

And, I can tell from experience, Katie is still down to Earth and has gotten me tickets to OSU sporting events in the past despite being 8 years old when she was graduating from HS.

Also, I have some old VHS tapes for all of Logan's tournament games from 1992 up through the state semi-final, the school TV class wasn't allowed to tape the final per OHSAA rules. Maybe I'll work on getting those converted to DVD since I haven't watched them in SOOO long.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I don't doubt the 220lb press,,,,and from the looks of her legs i'd say at least 400 went up on the leg press,I remember one summer me and my friend were playing pickup with some of the boys players from Logan in the hilltop gym and she was there and he relished the chance to guard her because he was really competetive and needless to say that was the last time he guarded her,she schooled him the whole game......

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

her stories are simply legendary

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

C-Bolt wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:I've got the winner of this thread. You gotta go a little outside of the box.

Katie Smith anyone? Is there anyone remotely close to her all-around accomplishments?
I have to agree ! How could we have forgot about the great one who put Logan on the map,well Scott gasser just moved to number 2 in my booK,,I mean she was only all state in everything she did :122246 and had state records in track for some time before they were broken and you didn't want to be on the other side of the net when she would get ready to spike.

AS PROVEN HERE! THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS IS............. A FEMALE WOULD NEVER COME TO MIND FIRST IN A DISCUSSION ON GREAT ATHLETES.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Might throw out the name Josh Glancy class of 97 Warren. Third place in state (97)Wrestling finishing behind Becks and Heskett two of Ohios best. Sixth in state in (97) Pole vault and regional qualifier in golf. I know these are not what you would call major sports but 4 year letterman in all three sports and placed in two sports in state in same school year as well as SEOAL All Acedemic is at least worth a mention here. From the young men mentioned he should be listed in their company at least. And Katie Smith WOW, and Olympic medal winner as well. This is a great thread, I know that there are many more out there going back decades if some research was available. The SEOAL has produced many quality individuals in all sports both male and female.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

3 gold medals I believe......and she got screwed not being on the 1996 team....and I swear she could've played in 1992 as well

4theKids
Freshman Team

Post by 4theKids »

Just ones that I have seen personally...........

John Shoemaker, Waverly
Katie Smith, Logan
Al Collins, Jackson
Jared Humphreys, Jackson

(all played multiple sports, then on to Division I sports in college)

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

4thekids....On an unrelated matter to this topic, I just emailed you.

Taking a break too from all of my fall sports preview production

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

nobody even considering the ironton fighting tiger players since they are no longer in the league. i cannot claim to tell you the best. but just a couple years ago. chad miller, could run over you , tackle you, intercept you, run a kickoff er punt back on you, shoot the lights out on a basketball court, and toss a no hitter, or be the best shortstop in the league all in the same calender year.

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

Katie would make a great choice.

I also wanted to mention some older folks such as Todd Snyder and Dick Adams of Athens, Chuck Kemper at Logan, Tommy Spencer of Gallia Academy, Roger Estep of Wellston, and Roger Hyden at Jackson.

Someone help me on this one (especially the folks from Meigs): was it Tippy Dye who went to Ohio State from Pomeroy?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

coachper -

You are right on Tippy Dye.

Great choices from you also.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

On that same note ^^^^^ Fred Crow (Pomeroy) was also on Ohio State's team at the same time.

Return to “Football”