Week 1: Lancaster AT Logan

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: Week 1: Lancaster AT Logan

Post by C-Bolt »

Refs were bad both ways tonite IMO,Logan's first touchdown was beneficiary of a horrible call against the defensive back who a few plays before the td had great postion to intercept the long ball but the reciever tackled him to keep him from intercepting and somehow they call it on the defensive back but there some questionable holding calls on Logan too so it usually evens out no complaints here they are human.Lancaster was the better team tonite but man did Logan ever keep fighting to stay in the game,just when it looked like the Gales were about to blow them off the field the offense would patiently bring them back.Both defenses got gashed bigtime tonight,which is surprising because I heard Lancasters was so tough but give credit to Logan offense they never gave up,toughie next week nbc4 said Pick North killed Mooney tonight, look out Chiefs. but tonight had to give the offense some confidence going into that bear next week,Jurgie looked very good running and throwing,recievers dropped way too many balls though and once again them dang penalties but all in all better than I was expecting.kudos to the line too opened some big holes for the backs to run through

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

Actually I believe Mooney beat North 31-14

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Not surprising maybe I heard them wrong but They've done that before giving wrong scores

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Just confirmed it 31-14 Mooney but it will still be a bear, but I'll be there supporting.....

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

I was at times pleasantly surprised at Logan's performance. Coaching was bad, play calling was pretty iffy (I could have told you the slow developing backfield actions wouldn't work, Gale D faces an offense that does to much of that stuff). I was very happy with the performance of Jurgensmire, he was accurate throwing, and was actually better the further he went down field, there were to many drops. I saw good things out of the wideouts, especially Lindsay, but Jurgensmire wasn't worried about spreading it out. Offensive line didn't do that hot, there was more than once where it looked like there were guys coming through untouched, so scheming needs to improve. Defensively, poor tackling and pursuit. It doesn't help when you have no godly idea who has the ball and the shine bone technique which is usually effective against offenses running wing T stuff seems to do nothing. Linebackers seemed slow to fill, but that was probably due to misdirection. Sometimes in the open field, there seemed to be a lack of intensity in pursuit and tackling, but I know that will get straightened out. Hustle play goes to Wesselhoff, who chased down a back forty yards down the field from his nose guard spot. when most of the defensive backfield had given up or was out of position. Coverage was weak, to my immediate recollection there was no great coverage besides the one interception. Special teams were good, certainly didn't lose the game, I don't know what was up with Lancaster and those squibs, our guys weren't getting that great of returns when they were putting it deep. Pretty sure there was a late hit on Montgomery's leg that was uncalled, but that was only one of the many bad decisions on a poor night in officiating. There was heart shown by players, they never came close to giving up, and the fans seemed somewhat more supportive than they have been in years past, but a little adversity can do that.

Got to give some props to everyone representing Lancaster, from what I saw they conducted themselves with class. I'm happy to see a great number rise for the Alma Mater, It's a great sign of respect Logan fans should pay forward when we go on the road. I thought Lancaster performed pretty well, although they showed signs of being turnover prone, and didn't do such a great job of the open field tackling themselves. The precision with which they ran the offense this year was not what it has been before, but it was good enough to leave me confused. They also looked like they were gonna let Logan back into it, and against good teams, that's a big no no, and Lancaster will see at least a few better than Logan.

This could shape up to be a good year for the Marching Chiefs, as they had a great sound, even though the precision of their drill seemed to be off (freshman, I imagine). Gale marchers looked good for a concert band, but they usually are the best we see with that style of marching (sorry to any Marching Gales fans about the audio cutting out). An all around enjoyable evening (except for the loss, and getting home I suppose.) Good luck to Lancaster, and let us hope for Logan's continued progress and a victory next week.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

I was not to dispointed, our kids need cooler heads so the pentlies and unforced errors are limited. That being said here are the grades!

Offense show both good and bad decisions let' give them a C+
Defense Hit and wrap they need work! D
Special Teams will be a strong point this year need to work on punting B+
Coaching frist game jitters will get better C-
Ref's Hope this crews never returns! D-

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Just curious ... Does anyone know how many people were at the game?
How many does the stadium hold?

According to the webcast people were still coming in the gates well into 2nd quarter..

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

people were still coming in that late because the traffic flow coming into the school and stadium was not at all good. they announced just before the game that traffic was backed up past 93 on 33. My buddy that came with me to the game thought I was crazy for getting there at 6pm until he saw the traffic mess.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Watched the Mooney -Pick North game. North will be a problem for Logan. While Mooney won easily, this is not a real good Mooney team as they are down and will get beat this season. North's O will give Logan fits. Good personnel for North and Logan still needs more experience. Still, if they can play with North and keep it close, Logan will be prepped for the rest of their schedule.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Just think--Logan won the 2nd half 21/14
Too many mistakes in the 1st half cost Logan this game.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

In the pressbox we thought it might have been a stadium record as far as crowd. They had cars parked everywhere and the visitor side was as full as it has ever been. Great show of support!

As for the game, overall I found it encouraging. Outside of the 8 minute stretch to end the 1st half, I think Logan played pretty even with an experienced Gale football team. Logan was able to move the ball, and if it weren't for some penalties would have put more points on the board.

Lancaster's defense made a huge play in the 2nd quarter when they brought Roberts off the edge to hit Jurgensmier and cause the INT that led to Lancaster's second TD. That was set up by a false start penalty that turned a 3 and inches into 3rd and 6.

And on the Gales 1st drive was aided by a crushing off side penalty on a 3rd and 5.

Needless to say, penalties were a problem for the guys in purple.

I thought the Chiefs brought a great game plan offensively, they moved the ball pretty consistently against a veteran defense, Jurgensmier made some really nice throws and showed very good pocket presence. Both he and Graham, along with Cavinee, made some nice runs. Isaac Lindsey showed his burst on the outside. Overall, I thought the O-line did a nice job for a bunch of guys making their first starts.

Defensively, Logan struggled in space, leading to a lot of missed arm tackles. That MUST get better. Saw depth developing which is a good sign this early.

Make no mistake, Lancaster was the better team last night and is going to have a fine year. But I thought last night could be like 2006 or 2007 (38-0 and 31-7 loss), and the purple team competed much better than those two games.

If Coach Wolfe can keep getting the improvement he wants each week, its going to be another great year to be a Chieftain fan!

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

I agree locos tackling needs alot of work but they will get better i hope this town dosent give up on these kids because they might lose a few games.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Same here Locos,much better than I was thinking might happen like the 38-0 shellacking years ago when we thought we were pretty good,the defense is a big worry speed seems to be lacking swarming to the ball and helping out tackling like we've witnessed the last 4 years,I watched the replay and noticed Lancaster had alot of reserves on the field when Logan scored their last touchdown but I'm still impressed with the offense on this night,they just never gave up and Jurgensmire keeps getting better it seems which will help things out tremendously.On that called back touchdown they called chop block,two logan backs went high and low on a rushing lineman which was unfortunate because they didn't mean too but it will be a good learning experience for them.I 'm not giving up on them,I'm going next week and as many as I can

Return to “Football”