WEEK 1 - Chillicothe @ Hamilton Township

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: WEEK 1 - Chillicothe @ Hamilton Township

Post by datchillicav »

When I watch games, especially early in the season for young teams or teams with low expectations, I try to get a feel for things that will effect the team down the road rather than just watching the game like a lot of people. I took several things away from this game. Some good and some bad.

The first and most important thing I took away from this game was that the Cavs had no quit in them. They were down big early and never gave up. They fought back from a 28-8(26-8?) halftime deficit to narrow it to 9 at one point and although the stat sheet says they should have lost 70-0 they managed to make it competitive throughout and fought the last play as hard as the first. The coaching staff was teaching on the board and they were listening and adjusting. The difference between the first half and the second half was night and day. Last year they sometimes quit when things got tough but there was none of that last night. While the execution was totally wrong a lot of times, the effort was totally right all the time.

The worst thing is that this is by far the worst tackling team I have ever seen. I don't think they could consistently tackle a good freshman RB. I doubt they could tackle a 1 legged man in a potato sack. The defense needs major major work. The fits in the run game were bad. There were several blown assignments in the passing game. but by far the worst part was the tackling.

The middle of our defense is soft. The D-lineman are not controlling there gaps. Too many of them are trying to make tackles and in turn are taking thamselves out of position. The linebackers need to be scraping better and filling holes to make the tackles. Our LB's should make every tackle between the offensive tackles in our defense. If a D-lineman makes a tackle then he made an outstanding play or most likely the other teams O messed up. The LB's should make every tackle.

The offense looked better than I expected so early in the season with a brand new style. The offensive line had several break downs and definately must do better but they improved as the game progressed and started picking up on more and more things so they are learnign and improving which is great. We need to continue to try to get Isaac Beverly the ball in space. In space being the key words. He is not a RB nor will he ever be a RB. The execution on the screens they called could have been better. There was one screen in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter that they ran to perfection and it was beautiful. They all need to be run like that. The offense doesn't need mush except for timing and some fundamental things.

Great attitude and some good signs of improvement in the second half. If they keep fighting lik they did, the record may not show it, but they will improve a lot and lay a good foundation for the future of the program.

green-n-gold76
Waterboy

Post by green-n-gold76 »

Who missed tackles when a guy goes 85 yards untouched? The Rangers completed two passes-both for TD's...didn't see a blown assignment on either, just a receiver that was a step or two ahead of the defender(s) and a perfect throw.

Give the Rangers a little credit. They have done this against every team that they have scrimmaged..

Your right, though. Your guys did not give up and they showed enthusiasm until the end. If they keep that up and buy in to what the coach is teaching them, Chillicothe will be a formidable (and vengeful) opponent in the not too distant future.

buckeyebuddy
Waterboy

Post by buckeyebuddy »

When you give up 650 yards your defense is porous to say the least. I agree..I Beverly is not a running back. Get ball to Oates and Whittaker. Corcoran made both big plays for and against the Cavs. Must be more consistent or offense is in trouble. In my opinion Chillicothe got beat by a below average football team. I know the players were saying all wek that they would win but..... Now on to Big Walnut. Remember our Cavs won there the last time they visited Sunbury.

Cav4life
Waterboy

Post by Cav4life »

Wow. I ve been waiting to get my thougths about this game, so here goes.
The cavs looked great at times on offense. Terrible on defense. I agree, they cannot tackle. As for the BIG plays, give HT credit, although not that good of a team, they continued to be able to throw at will, beating the corners, also, 365 yards rushing. WOW, an amazing game for the young man.
Offense, yes we had some great plays, Max made some great plays that helped them, but made some terrible plays that killed them. I think that he will mature and realize its a team game, the cavs will bounce back, but not this week. Oats should be the goto guy....Im sure Hinton will see to that. If Chilli starts off 0 - 5, look for alot of Soph to start playing and preparing for the future.

buckeyebuddy
Waterboy

Post by buckeyebuddy »

There's 1 of the problems. Look at the roster. There simply are not very many soph or juniors on the roster. This IS a Senior laden team so the question is when will they start to play like it. By my count there are 9 srs on offense and 9 on defense. And several of the 1st subs are seniors. Mallow, Beverly,Bonner, Oates,Corcoran,Osborn,Whittaker,Doles,etc all seniors. Johnson only underclassman to make an impact that I can name. Elliott is another that I feel will make an impact.

Return to “Football”