Paladin's Pigskin Picks - Wk. 1

javagt
Varsity

Re: Paladin's Pigskin Picks - Wk. 1

Post by javagt »

Paladin wrote:And All SEO District. :mrgreen:

And that was when it was Triple AAA which included Lancaster, Chilli, Marietta, Portsmouth, Ironton and most of the old SEOAL. So being selected then was a great honor.

Ah yes, the good old days ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mel Adams was "the Man" and a coke cost 10 cents at Leon's ...

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Amen.

Old story on Mel. He was the departing coach at Zanesville H.S. when I applied for the Head Coach job at Rosecrans. The Priest who was conducting the interviews called Mel since I had used him as one of my references . Mel was highly respected as a coach & a man in the area. He told the Priest I was the man for the job. Supposedly, he stopped the process, interviewed me and offered the job. Saw Mel years later ( he had gone into school administration around the Marion, Ohio area) and we laughed about that. But Mel had big influences everywhere he went.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i don't buy it, my sources say different.
I had two grandsons play youth football here in Lancaster. They played against Nathan Carpenter and Ryan Cheek. I do not know any of the stand outs that did not play at the high school level. Fisher Catholic's ace pitcher, that just graduated did not play FB after his freshman year. He is the most outstanding player that I remember at the youth level that did not play highschool football. He did not go to Lancaster High School. There are many county players who come to Lancaster to play youth football. There are players who were never in the Lancaster school district who don't show up at Fulton Field on Friday night. The Fisher Catholic player is one example.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

It really isn't important. That was all years ago. What is important is all the memories and friendships I've held thru the years. Honors won are nice, still have those trophies stored somewhere here, lol. But to remember all the azz kicking you put on other teams & players............................................................................................................ can't take that away. Priceless ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, being All SEOAL & All SEO District still gets me a cup of coffee anywhere I go

with $1.50. :mrgreen:

P.S. -- always a treat when I go back home to see all the "elite " athletes as we "suck" in our gut and limp around. Time evens out all the players. 8)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

javagt wrote:
Paladin wrote:And All SEO District. :mrgreen:

And that was when it was Triple AAA which included Lancaster, Chilli, Marietta, Portsmouth, Ironton and most of the old SEOAL. So being selected then was a great honor.

Ah yes, the good old days ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mel Adams was "the Man" and a coke cost 10 cents at Leon's ...

Man you must be getting old-lol

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Paladin wrote:It really isn't important. That was all years ago. What is important is all the memories and friendships I've held thru the years. Honors won are nice, still have those trophies stored somewhere here, lol. But to remember all the azz kicking you put on other teams & players............................................................................................................ can't take that away. Priceless ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, being All SEOAL & All SEO District still gets me a cup of coffee anywhere I go

with $1.50. :mrgreen:

P.S. -- always a treat when I go back home to see all the "elite " athletes as we "suck" in our gut and limp around. Time evens out all the players. 8)
Nothing like living in the past? LOL. I couldnt resist. i enjoy your posts and hope you always continue to post. however it is great to see someone who criticizes "tigger" posters for living in the past and then talk about it themselves. Ive enjoyed your walk down memory lane. Excuse me while I doze off into memory Lane and remember 3 straight butt kickings over the Chefs, including two in Logan. Never forget dressing in an old crappy gym one time and the city sess pool, er I mean swimming pool the next time.
Enjoyed your picks. I think you are pretty much right on.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Thanks !!

We'll see.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i don't buy it, my sources say different.
Buy it Bait! I'm as impartial as anyone to Logan and even one of the few Logan posters that think Logan might get it handed to them in this game but them two teams were clearly better for Logan,The first game Lancaster did have quite a few injuries even had to go with their 3rd string QB,but it wouldn't have mattered Logan would have found a way to win ,they were just too talented and I knew Logan would beat them 2 years in a row back before that first one.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

So far with 5 games played , I'm 4-1 on the picks. Waiting for the Portsmouth & Jackson games.

My only miss has been lowly Chilli. They got stomped by Hamilton Twp. 55-30, one of the worst teams in Central Ohio. Cavs must really stink this year. Absolutely no D.

Predicted winners were Warren who beat Belpre 42-12, Gallia who whipped up on Athens 36-21, Marietta who downed Morgan 28-7 and Lancaster who won over Logan 37-24. Warren appears to be a decent team this year as expected. Gallia is an improvement over last year, also expected. Marietta beat a team who may go winless and the gauge on the Tigers won't get much higher this season. Logan had a good second half O & D against a Lancaster team picked to make the playoffs again in D-I and I expect them to keep making improvements.

Jackson & Portsmouth up tonite.

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

Who cares if Logan makes the playoffs or not! If they do there 1 and done as always :122245 :122245 nothing has changed.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Paladin wrote:All right sports fans, here we are in 2010 for another exciting year of SEOAL football............... not. Logan has been running roughshod over everyone ( boring), including the now departed tiggers who quit & threw in the towel and at this point , it doesn't look to change much. Logan looks to be a favorite for the title again this year. Heres our first week match-ups --

Warren & Belpre match in a backyard rivalry game. Warren should be improved this year but may not show it on the season record. Warriors should win the opener and get some momentum going. WARREN.

Gallia & Athens match-up in a contest between a current & former member of the SEOAL. Unfortunately for the Pups, they'll discover again why they ran from the league. Devils are better than last year's awful mess and look to be middle of the SEOAL pack. Devils will butt kick the Bulldogs. GALLIA.

Jackson & Wellston apparently will sell tickets for a game, but the slaughter will make most fans wonder why the Jackson program continues to duck playing anybody thats any good and why fans would continue to watch a mismatch . This one will be over by half time. In a laugher .... JACKSON

Marietta plays Morgan in a game of poor programs. Both don't look to win many games, if at all. But someone has to win this one , so one team avoids a possible goose egg with a win. In this case, give the edge to the Tigers. MARIETTA

Chilli hooks up with Hamilton Twp.,one of the worst programs in Central Ohio. Unfortunately, Chilli isn't a powerhouse either. In another ugly game where someone has to win, the expectation is the new coach for the Cavs may have just enough discipline to hold off the Rangers. CHILLI

Portsmouth takes on the Wilmington Hurricanes who has been devastated by huge job losses that has ruined the town. Trojans have a solid team this year and look to get off to a fast start. Wilmington should give a good fight but go down swinging. PORTSMOUTH

Logan and Lancaster hookup in a rivalry game. While all the SEOAL teams are picked to win openers, this game is an exception. Logan has good talent again this season and should win another SEOAL title. However, with limited experience and playing the toughest schedule again in the SEOAL with 3 straight D-I games ( two against playoff teams from last year & 2 projected to go again this year), it may take them a few games to get the kinks out and be fine tuned. But when they do... Katy bar the door. LANCASTER

Looking for an overall record of 6-1 for the SEOAL openers.

In a "laugher", Wellston puts it all over the mighty SEOAL Ironmen. How can a SEOAL team lose to such a lesser conference?? LOL!

:122249 :122249 :122249

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

sports junkie wrote:Who cares if Logan makes the playoffs or not! If they do there 1 and done as always :122245 :122245 nothing has changed.

That is great! :122246

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

SEOAL is a joke. Wow.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

fuzzhead wrote:SEOAL is a joke. Wow.
So Jackson loses a game and now the whole league is a joke? Don't be ridiculous.

Sports are crazy like that. Any given Friday.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

No, the conference was a joke before the season ever started, long before. A bunch of either very weak or nothing-special DIIs mixed with mundane to poor IIIs. Note that this is in regards to football, not necessarily any other sport. You'll notice that most of the people who defend it are Logan football fans who prop it up so they'll have something to hang their hats on since they are nothing special outside of SE Ohio.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

So, Saturday ends up .500 for my picks overall to finish 5-2. Not a great week-end for me.

Portsmouth beats Wilmington 14-7 as expected. Congrats to the Trojan. But in an upset, Jackson gets blasted by Wellston. The Irongirls lose 33-13 to the Rockets. Major embarassment.

However, the SEOAL finishes with 5 wins in 7 games , so the points will start to add up. League favorite Logan needs to win its league games for the points to pile up and win some non-league games to make the playoffs again..

Next week's games should be another interesting set of match-ups. Week 2 predictions coming.

pigskinguru
Freshman Team

Post by pigskinguru »

The ole' SEOAL ain't what she used to be. Don't let the Logan posters fool you. They know it! They dominate the league and bow out off the playoffs in round 1 or round 2 every year.
Why? Ask Paladin, he knows the answer...Schedule strength! Logan plays the big boys (Division 1) early on, but after 7 of weeks playing inferior competition, they can't answer the bell in the playoffs. Non-league games 1-3 on your schedule don't have any affect on how well your playing at the end of the season once you have spent the weeks leading up to the playoffs playing smaller, inferior competition throughout your league schedule.

Who else in the SEOAL scares anyone now?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

pigskinguru wrote:The ole' SEOAL ain't what she used to be. Don't let the Logan posters fool you. They know it! They dominate the league and bow out off the playoffs in round 1 or round 2 every year.
Why? Ask Paladin, he knows the answer...Schedule strength! Logan plays the big boys (Division 1) early on, but after 7 of weeks playing inferior competition, they can't answer the bell in the playoffs. Non-league games 1-3 on your schedule don't have any affect on how well your playing at the end of the season once you have spent the weeks leading up to the playoffs playing smaller, inferior competition throughout your league schedule.

Who else in the SEOAL scares anyone now?
Who in Southeastern Ohio scares anyone? It's not an SEOAL problem, it's a geographical problem.

Reality is, Ironton hasn't won a regional title since 1999. Wheelersburg, Nelsonville-York, Jackson, etc. haven't made playoff runs in quite a while.

Outside of Portsmouth West a few years ago, SE Ohio teams continue to struggle against teams outside the area.

THAT'S the reality.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

fuzzhead wrote:No, the conference was a joke before the season ever started, long before. A bunch of either very weak or nothing-special DIIs mixed with mundane to poor IIIs. Note that this is in regards to football, not necessarily any other sport. You'll notice that most of the people who defend it are Logan football fans who prop it up so they'll have something to hang their hats on since they are nothing special outside of SE Ohio.
I'm really not in the mood to defend the honor of the SEOAL tonight, and I see your point, but the SEOAL isn't a "joke". It's just as good as any of the other leagues in SE Ohio, it always has been, and it always will be. Success on the state level doesn't come very often for our area, so I don't think you can really hold that against the SEOAL when discussing football in SE Ohio. There should be a few pretty good football teams in the SEOAL this season, just as there always is. Will they make deep runs into the playoffs, or even make the playoffs? Probably not, but that remains to be seen. Let's wait and see how things look in Week 10 before we go judging an entire conference because one of its teams just lost to its archrival for the first time since 1989.

pigskinguru
Freshman Team

Post by pigskinguru »

ironman02 wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:
Let's wait and see how things look in Week 10 before we go judging an entire conference because one of its teams just lost to its archrival for the first time since 1989.
Not trashing Jackson, Ironman02. Just don't believe the Seoal is as strong as it used to be. More making a point that Logan has benefitted from a weaker Seoal. Don't believe the league is as strong as it used to be from top to bottom. Just my opinion.

I do agree with you that it is a geographical problem though.

Return to “Football”