Muskingum Valley League

teach1coach2
All State

Muskingum Valley League

Post by teach1coach2 »

Discuss all things MVL this season here :)

Week 1 scores
Upper Arlington 24
Tri-Valley 17
UA 39 yd pass for TD with 7 sec. left

Marietta 28
Morgan 7

Fairfield Union 6
New Lexington 0

Sheridan 47
Hebron Lakewood 0

Barnesville 21
John Glenn 13

Crooksville 20
Berne Union 6

Maysville 55
Collinwood 20

RiverView 34
West Muskingum 20

Licking Heights 16
Philo 7

Bonus
Zanesville 41
Newark 7

Paladin
SEOP

Re: Muskingum Valley League

Post by Paladin »

Other than Sheridan & TV, looks to be a down year for the MVL. While TV lost , they took UA down to the wire before losing.

ZHS should be very good again this year.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

I agree, looks like a two horse race with Sheridan and Tri Valley. This could be the trend for a long time to come. The MVL was really down last year and even worse this year. Sheridan and Tri Valley Schools seem to keep growing and getting tranfers and the others not keeping up. I just think Sheridan looks down this year from the past few, still very good but down. The Lakewood game wont tell you anything at all. Tri Valley done well in scrimmages against some good teams and could have, maybe should have won the Upper Arlington game. Games at Tri Valley, going with them in this one. Zanesville, still can't beat a Tri Valley or Sheridan but should have a good year with another weak schedule!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The fight should be for third place and down with Sheirdan and Valley fighting it out for the title.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Wish tri-valley could have knocked them off. Lakewood does tell you nothing, we played sophs from mid second quarter on and let the clock run out inside the ten in the first half up 47-0. Did the same two or three more times, taking knee in second half. Drifter, you crack me up. How is this team not better then last years? They literally lost two difference makers, everyone else is back. Disagree with coach culver, read the season preview last week.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

When and where do Sheridan and Tri-Valley play this season? That might be a game to watch if Logan is away.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

new lex/ sheridan, crack you up? Man, get a grip. I know you are very close to this years kids for Sheridan as you should be, but get real. As I mentioned on the other topic, you want to promote and market this group of kids so bad you just throw crap out and hope it sticks! Or you hope that someone that knows nothing about the Sheridan team or past teams on here will agree with you. Comments about recievers that caught 8 passes for 78 yards in a ENTIRE SEASON being one the best in years, only loosing 2 difference makers,are you stoned? You crack us all up! You lost ALL OHIO player Carpenter that started both ways on the line, Cremeans which was the take it all the way kid, deep threat ( that you DO NOT have this year. Also started both ways. Both of these kids played in the All Star Game. You also lost Golden, he started both ways center and LB, ALL League, All District, played in the All Star game. Kyle Phifer, most Sheridan folks I speak with considered him the team MVP last year, All League, All District, played in All Star game led team in rushing and scoring! Abrams DB, also palyed in all star game, two year starter. Kyle Carpenter starting safety, and Garth Hall, starting fullback and LB. I think they all made a difference! Now this, what we seen in the scrimmage, and what most parents and kids from past Sheridan teams say is why I, and most I talk to does not feel this team is as good as past, and yes that includes last years team. It is opinions buddy, dont take it personal. As far as the preview you keep going to I have it read it several times. NO WHERE do I see any comments made by Culver that say, this years team is better than last years, pretty much same comments he always makes. Good talent, good skill players ect. Sounds like a typical Sheridan team. Anyone with eyes that work can see this group is simply not with past groups. It is not personal.

When the season is over and you have went undefeated, won the MVL, been ranked # 1 in the State of Ohio, had 8 or nine kids make your all league teams, All District teams, All Ohio Teams, play in the All Star games, win some playoff games, then I am sure you will be considered one of Sheridans best ever. And when your players this year can achieve what palyers of the great teams did, they will be considered with the best. Bottom line is that at this time they are 1-0, beat a horrible Lakewood that most teams Freshman wouldn't have any problem beating, you have alot of kids that have done nothing to this point but sit the bench behind the kids you like to disregard or put down! But again, good luck to you, hope were done here it is getting old and boring!

Dazed&Confused, the game is at Tri Valley, i THINK IT IS GAME 7?

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Offensive line-returning starters-Busby, Sigler, Tolliver. TE-George and Mattis-Returning starter. QB-Myers-Returning starter. Fullback-Sweeney-Returning starter. Wide recievers Horsley/Crane-returning starters.
Defensive line-Busby/Snider/Phipps all started games last season. Crane/Sweeney started last year at corner and linebacker this year they are free safety and General (flat defender) we do replace our interior linebackers but they are all capable with vanwinkle and mcglaughlin (both juniors) being better athletes then whom they replaces and sweeney moving outside.
I have no complaint with the fact that they are not as good as two years ago, they have a lot to accomplish to get to that point and I hope they do. But to say they are not better then last year is funny because they are what was there last season. You can't replace carp in the middle, that goes without saying and I felt that Cremeans was the best player on the team last season. But outside of that we have more then capable replacements for them everywhere except center IMO. I think Helser has a chance to be an outstanding guard. You are correct, our backfield is less experienced but Fouch and Vanwinkle have big play potential, they lack experience but hopefully they get there. Both Helser and Sigler do a nice job at nose in the 3 man front. The goal of these kids every year is to be the best and to say they aren't as good as last year is to say coach culver has not improved them. Hopefully they perform to a level that puts them on par with the team from two seasons ago. You mention those numbers for taco from the TR, don't trust all you read there, that was his contribution in the Tri-Valley game last season :) They didn't mention Horse and he is our best athlete and probably our leading reciever last yr as a soph, whom we didn't even throw to against lakewood cuz we didn't need to which will likely happen again Friday. It is not the fault of these boys that they played a poor team first game or that the league is relatively weak this season. Tri-Valley, Cambridge and Hopefully Maysville will provide tests this season.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I have read this forum and a few other similar forums for the past few years. I find them interesting and entertaining for a variety of reasons. For me it is easy to pick out posters who have a reasonable understanding of the game and particular programs. I played in college and have recently started coaching the sport as well. The reason I chose (against the wishes of my wife) to register and administer my two cents is to clarify the argument that has been taking place on this thread and on another, it's much more time efficient if you two would just keep it on one, fyi.

I am pretty sure I know NL/SHS and if it is who I think it is he has a good grasp as to what happens with the program and would be able to evaluate all of the kids in question athletically. I also feel that Drifter is knowlegable in most aspects of the game based on what I have read to this point.
My opinion of the argument, or arguments haha are based on first hand knowledge of these athletes. I agree with the last poster on the Logan thread in that I believe NL/SHS was speaking of the group of wide recievers as a whole being better. I assume the wide out Drifter is talking about is bobby denny. If so, he was a very good football (and even better baseball) player. You are correct with stating that bobby is faster then Horsley/Crane/Sweeney. However, speed does not make you a better player, big play threat possibly but not always a better wide out. Bobby was a smaller player (about 5'9 maybe 5'10) while all three wide outs this season are 6'2 or better. Bobby weighed in at around 170 lbs as a senior, Horsley is every bit of 200, Sweeney close to 190 and Crane around 180. All three are better leapers then Bobby. I would give the award for best hands in the group to Crane, he seems to come down with everything they throw his way. All parties in this argument are very good in the weight room as well. Not sure any of them are as good as Josh Davy was a few years back.

So, in my honest and non-partial opinion, this years recieving corps is better top to bottom then 08' and two of the three are atleast on par with the lead reciever from that season. Now as a team if this one ends up reasonably close to as good as that team I will be suprised as I don't feel they are deep enough to achieve that. I do agree with the fact that they are much better then last season. The proof is in the pudding as they say, nearly the entire team returned. I would add Pipher (spelling?) as an impact player that was lost along with the two listed but I also agree that he can be replaced. The only irreplacable player to me from last years team is carpenter, he was special.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

mustangs-red, very well put, and if you are who I think you are, I very much respect your opinion. Just got me a little fired up with some of the comments made in the beginning. I believe there was a lack of respect for things that had been done and players that had done them. And alot of smack talk about things not close to being proven after a scrimmage game! I also enjoyed and remember Josh Davy, great baseball player as well. I would like to have seen Culver have Davy, Denny and Crane at one time with the strong armed QB Berrea? All of these players very talented and had great skill sets. Big advantage for Crane and this years group with a QB like they have this year. I do feel the QB will not get to showcase that strong arm as much with the speed they have at receiver this year. But with their schedule and the MVL being very weak again this year, they may beat a few teams deep? I do agree with you that speed is not the only thing that makes a great receiver, but you can not beat the good teams, beat the good DB'S and hit the big play without it. Sheridan will most likely find this out when they get out of the MVL schedule. The best hands in the world are nothing if you don't get open, there is no substitute for speed in football! I think you found that out with Eastmoor Academy as Logan has in the palyoffs as well.

Like I said before, if this years team runs the table and is undefeated, wins the MVL, Gets ranked # 1 in the State, wins some playoff games, then they can be talked about as one of the " best ever" And if they have players that can lead, help the team acheive this, make a All League, All District, All State team, play in a All Star game, ect, then they will most likely be mentioned as some of the best at Sheridan. But until then, this is all opinion and a lot of smack talk. I do hope they acheive all this as a team, and -players, Good Luck, and GET R DONE.

purple pride 2008
Waterboy

Post by purple pride 2008 »

good talk, good points. i would have to see taco on the scales, 180lbs? with a set of ankle weights on mayby. gotta agree with speed too. all these guys could catch the ball one might have looked better at it but you gotta have the speed and quickness and seperation when you get playin the better teams and talent.still say horse not a receiver but a tight end, .as far as jumping ability you always go with the basketball players, they got the ups.but denny,crane and davy are all awesome players and get my respect. denny proboly got ripped off a little. liked to see him with this years qb throwin to him and with another good receiver like taco, then you couldnt load up on him. whats up with maysville? they seem to be gettin plenty attention and people givin them a chance.still thank trivalley and sheridan will decide it but some people thank maysville in the mix? whats up with john glenn? the mvl is really down i hear, what does the future look like?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

My guess is Maysville is getting all this attention because of their coach Whit Parks,whose been known to get teams turned around pretty quick,I also believe the gridrion glory show said they have alot coming back,I personally would like to see them make some noise with the big 2 and shock a few people,they destroyed a D2 team from Cleveland whos not very good last weekend but Parks thinks they have a real shot at making the playoffs this year.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Tonight we'll see where Maysville is really at,they take on a biggie,if they keep it close I'm sure it will open some eyes,we'll see.....

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

DRIFTER wrote:
Dazed&Confused, the game is at Tri Valley, i THINK IT IS GAME 7?
Oops! Too far and too late for me. Good luck to the Generals, though.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Looks like Maysville has a little ways to go yet,Tri-Valley must be the real deal,I might have to see that goliath battle with Sheridan, its getting bigger every week.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Tri-Valley will have the benefit of being tested week one and by dover (whom I hope they beat, I can't stand dover). Unless cambridge gives them a game Sheridan will come in to that one having played nobody who can make them keep their starters in for an entire half let alone the game. I hope cambridge provides a challenge in a few weeks for the boys.

Return to “Football”