Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) at West (1-0)

Who wins??

Total votes: 0

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) at West (1-0)

Post by Westfan »

trojanofthepast wrote:Everyone keeps saying our defense isn't very good and can't stop West. They only gave up 7 points to a very solid D2 school with good athletes. Did we miss some tackle YES, did we make some mistakes YES, but we only gave up 7 pts. Offensively we will put points on the board against West, not having Compton will hurt some for West if he's not playing. I'm not into predicting scores I think this game will not be decided until the last possession. I think we will pass a little more this week, I don't think West secondary can control our receivers. We were open last year the whole game, but we played very conservative in the second half last year and did not attempt a pass in the second half last year and almost gave that game away. This year I don't think we play it that conservative again.
I just watched last years game again and this isn't true. Portsmouth did throw the ball in the second half with one being a long completion to evans out of your own endzone. Reason Portsmouth looked worse is because West adjusted and played much better. Portsmouth came out with all kinds of emotion in their new stadium. West was very young and kinda got shell shocked. We were down 14 before we started playing. That won't happen this year. In the second half West kept getting stronger and Portsmouth was spent.

I'm sure Portsmouth will come out with some different looks. They have good personel and the spread takes a while to adjust to. What we have to do is stay close early. If the game is close in the second half, I think our depth and conditioning will take over just like it did last year, when we weren't near as big or deep up front. West's nose and 1 d tackle goes 1 way. Other D tackle is rotated among several kids, so we are mostly plattooning up front. That was a noticable difference friday and I think it will be again. Portsmouth can't really sub for Sanders and others.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

it amazes me,how one schools kids can get better,stronger,faster,and more experienced then others, Im not only talking about this thread,but EVERY team thinks their kids is the only ones that worked on the off season,or their kids is the only ones that grew over a year,I understand you are around your group and SEE the work they are doing,but I think it is safe to say, ALL kids should be better and stronger then they was last year.

this was a close game last year,and expect it to be this year

Mohawk06
Waterboy

Post by Mohawk06 »

i am taking west only because it at west but should be real close game

bigcline81
Riding the Bench

Post by bigcline81 »

sportsfan43 wrote:it amazes me,how one schools kids can get better,stronger,faster,and more experienced then others, Im not only talking about this thread,but EVERY team thinks their kids is the only ones that worked on the off season,or their kids is the only ones that grew over a year,I understand you are around your group and SEE the work they are doing,but I think it is safe to say, ALL kids should be better and stronger then they was last year.

this was a close game last year,and expect it to be this year

i agree with u 100% portsmouth has done the same to so im getting tired of some ppl acting like portsmouth hasn,t improved!! we are way better on are o line then last year... and are d is alot better!! its gonna be a heck of a game tho

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Portsmouth IMO

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

West will win by a comfortable margin in a hard fought game.

sider_zone
Freshman Team

Post by sider_zone »

Have to agree with siderman; I know one game isn't enough to see it,but our sophs are going to add a lot more to this Team than people think. I really believe our Depth will be the difference come Friday. Nobody is saying Trojan kids don't work as hard as West kids, but if you have enough depth that some of your lineman don't have to play both ways then you can ware the other teams down. I think if its close at half time West will Win. IMO

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

The game will not be close. West will dominate this game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I don't know about this dominate stuff. Portsmouth is very good. Containing their offense has got to scare coaches to death. Our 5-2 defense is not built to stop the spread, but it can be good to keep Myers contained.

Depth on the defensive line to stay fresh and chase him all-over the field can be an advantage. Myers is a great player.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

This game will not be won by Pendleton or the Portsmouth throwing game. It will be won or lost on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage. Whoever is physically tougher for 4 quarters will win. I give the edge to West. I think West will need to win this game to make the playoffs.

Fubar
Waterboy

Post by Fubar »

Weather is likely going to play a role in this game. Most people around this area know that when it rains, it's hard to beat West because of their running game and power. Right now, the weather is calling for Isolated T-Storms, but it's still 5 days until the game, so it could easily change before then. If the weather does change to something decent, the game will be much closer than it would if it rains.

However, I still give the win to West, regardless of the weather. West is just too deep for Portsmouth to handle, plus the fact that the entire West Side will be at the game, making it an extremely loud, hyped up atmosphere which the West players will feed off of. The offensive line for West is huge this year, and I think that will make a nice wall for Pendleton to run crazy behind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 5-6 yards per carry, if not more. Along with that, West has started to develop a bit of their own passing game, which makes them even more dangerous.

Projections:
If rain: West by 20+
If decent: West by 7

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

PHS 27-24

TartanPride
Waterboy

Post by TartanPride »

After watching the Trojans game Saturday it would be smart for me to take West. BUT! It was the first game of the season and mistakes, Turnovers and Penalties are expected. I think the Trojans will come out fired up and get past West!

Trojans-28 West-7

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

I've done some pretty fair analysis for this one and I expect a war at The Rock. I think it will be West with the big early emotional surge and The Trojans will be the ones who need to hang close. Of The Siders first 5 games this is clearly the most important. The Trojans always look at West as Big Game but Wilmington was a pretty tough team and we have The Burg Next week. I am hoping to see steady improvement weekly from PHS. I can't see West holding anything in reserve after looking down their schedule and this is supposed to be The Trojans year. A score similar to last years game wouldn't surprise me.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

This is a must win for West if you look at their schedule if they lose this game they probably don't make it in the playoffs. This is a playoff game for them win and get big points, lose and week 11 will be tough to attain. All the pressure is on the home team. I hope everyone keeps thinking the Trojans played a weak team in Wilmington. Wilmington's front 7 was very big, strong, and physical and the Trojans held their own. I don't think West's front 7 is more physical then Wilmington front 7 . West's best defense will be their offense if they keep the ball away from the Trojans with the run game. If the Trojans O gets to many opportunities it could be a long night for West.

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

West has too much talent. They take this game easily 35-14

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I think the talent level is about the same for both teams. What will determine this game will be turnovers. Who ever wins will win by a very small margin. I will take Portsmouth with a 24 to 21 win and we see our first field goal by Nate Newton.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West had the same situation in points last year. We lost to Portsmouth and after a few wins we were looking good for the playoffs until we lost to valley, Minford, and burg. All of those teams will win a bunch of games this year and we play all of O V C teams except coal grove and river valley so you can almost count how many points you get there when they all play each other. If West goes 9-1 we're in.

Portsmouth still has probable losses with Logan and ironton to go with a very possible loss at wheelersburg. If Portsmouth looses Friday it's gonna be tough.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

I watched the film from last year and #44 for West played a heck of a game. We ran 57 plays last year and he #44 blitzed 39 times out of 57 plays. Him doing that freed #8 to rover and make plays not having #44 that will effect the defense for West. Word is he will not be able to play this game and if that's true it will be a big loss for West. With a 5-2 defense and blitzing on every down mean if Myers has just a little time our passing game will dominate this game. The middle of the field is wide open against West if you have a little time. With 6 rushing the line one inside backer that tends to be over aggressive leaves the middle wide open with the receivers the Trojans have the means trouble for West.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

siderman wrote:West had the same situation in points last year. We lost to Portsmouth and after a few wins we were looking good for the playoffs until we lost to valley, Minford, and burg. All of those teams will win a bunch of games this year and we play all of O V C teams except coal grove and river valley so you can almost count how many points you get there when they all play each other. If West goes 9-1 we're in.

Portsmouth still has probable losses with Logan and ironton to go with a very possible loss at wheelersburg. If Portsmouth looses Friday it's gonna be tough.
I'm not so sure that West beats Valley,Minford, and Burg. If they don't win this week they may be looking at a 6-4 season again. West should how ever win the OVC this year LOL!

Return to “Football”