All State

Re: Week 3 Symmes Valley @ Chesapeake

Post by pbuck »

SV

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

Symmes Valley wins. the streak is over. many many chickens will die after this one.

Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovcman »

chesapeake has been playing hard. nearly beat wayne. played great in the second half. but all for all this game should be a knock down drag out. looking foward to this one. but im going to have to take peake extending the streak one more year

SVDad
Freshman Team

Post by SVDad »

I think the Vikings pull it off this year. The loss last year in 3OT was a very bitter pill to take. Hopefully this year it will be different - sweet victory.

s.v.h.s.71
Waterboy

Post by s.v.h.s.71 »

sv wins

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I think the big difference between the two programs when they play is level of competition. For years now Chesapeake has been opening up with Portsmouth, Wayne, and now Oak Hill. Those game help Chesapeake imo when this one rolls around because SV plays school of the puff.

Chesapeake 21
SV 14

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Chesapeake may have played better teams during the first 2 weeks but some years they didn't play well. Even their own coaches would say that. Then they would make adjustments that would work out well against SV. Some of the Portsmouth games were blowouts.
You said school of puff but RV, Chesapeake plays then later SV will play Oak Hill.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

CHesapeake was playing Portsmouth when they were going to the playoffs on a regular basis in division 3 and 4. I remember talking to Coach Harmon at Wayne about some of those Portsmouth teams, and he said after watching film he was glad he didn't have to play Jo Jo Parker and Jerimiah Bolden, because they would have got beaten just as bad. This coming from someone who has won state titles and was beating those Chesapeake teams by less then a touchdown. When you see Portsmouth and Wayne the first two games of the year you don't really worry about what SV has.

I am saying the first few games that Chesapeake plays better prepares them for lesser teams, and it is true. Hince the reason Chesapeake beats SV every season (20 some straight).

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

If SV played Oak Hill and Wayne right now, they would be 0-2. Record at this point means little. How many times has Chesapeake been 0-2 and beaten SV?

michiganfanlafon
Waterboy

Post by michiganfanlafon »

Everyone always says symmes valley plays smalls schools and blow them out ....sv is a small school 200 boys i mean why would they play portsmouth... they play chesapeak that is bigger school ... and some other bigger schools such as river valley last week then like everyone else they play schools their size .

michiganfanlafon
Waterboy

at any level teams will have cupcakes on your schedule..... I mean did anyone watch college football this week wow cupcake after cupcake ....

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

My point exactly.

Chesapeake is a d5 school with 181 boys compared to Portsmouth who is d3-d4. Playing better competition makes you better. I am speaking in fact here. Look at the record. There is a reason SV has not beaten Chesapeake in years. Go play better teams that prepare you for someone who is bigger and better and you will beat them at some point imo.

Lets face it d6 football in SEO sucks.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I am not saying go play portsmouth, but go play Wayne or go play Newark Catholic.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Symmes Valley is my 2nd-favorite team in the county, but I gotta go with Chesapeake until SV proves they can knock em off. That being said, if SV comes out and wins this game by 3 TDs I'll not be surprised at all. This is a darn good SV team.

michiganfanlafon
Waterboy

avalanche actually what you are saying makes no sense at all ...your saying chesapeake plays bigger schools then them so they can beat a team smaller then them ....and sv should play schools bigger then them to prepare them for teams bigger then them you make no sense ..... who would you have to play i mean chesapeake oakhill river valley are those teams you are talking about ....

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Let me make this simple for you to understand.

THe better competition you play, the better you will be.

Case and point- 1999 Ironton team went 6-4 in regular season but played bigger schools who were very good, and then when they went to the playoffs it helped prepare them to play again top notch teams in their own division. They went to the state title game that year.

I am not talking size, I am talking level of competition. If you can find a good d6 team then it would benefit your program to play them instead of awful RV.

DId Chesapeake bite off more then they could chew with Portsmouth in the early 2000's? Probably, but they were also playing schools like Minford who was a playoff team, Belpre, Tolsia (playoff team), etc.

Chesapeake is the second smallest team in the OVC, everyone besides Coal Grove is bigger then them. I am not talking pure size, I am talking competition.

michiganfanlafon
Waterboy

Every team in america is bigger then symmes valley......if level of compitition means so much then y did ironton run and hide away from the conference they was in ...id say they had good compitition there

michiganfanlafon
Waterboy

And playing those teams can help you or hurt you ..... you get banged up in week one and two and then you cant recover injuries sometimes or just lack of confidence.....on the other hand yea you are preparing yourself to be able to play bigger schools

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

If you can't wrap your mind around playing better competition makes you better, then I don't know how to dub that down for you.

There is a reason SV has not beaten Chesapeake in a million years, and that imo is one big reason.

Chesapeake has started 0-2 or 1-1 since 2000 and beaten SV in the third year every single year. I can say since I had a lot of friends that played on those teams that they would always look forward to SV after playing two power houses in Portsmouth and Wayne because they knew they would not see the same type of talent they saw the previous two weeks.

Return to “Football”