Burg fans...Ironton and Oak Hill

TheBigOakTree
Waterboy

Re: Burg fans...Ironton and Oak Hill

Post by TheBigOakTree »

You people are Crazy!!1 Oak Hill would shove it down Irontons throat!! No one in this area can beat Oak Hill Like it or Not. This is our year get use to it NOW, because you are going to here about the Oaks so much you might just SHOOT YOURSELF!!!!!! I LOVE IT

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

Downtown wrote:Oak Hill must be a pretty good team for Ironton to want to play them just for one year and get plenty of playoff points (Not that I do not blame Ironton there). Plus, knowing that this would never happen for one main reason: What if Oak Hill did play Ironton this year and beat them? (Which could have potentially happened). Ironton would never lower themsleves as a town or team to playing these "lowly" Oaks. Lutz will eventually retire, which begs the question: Who will replace him? Someone will but, would he ever measure up to the pristine condition that Lutz will leave Ironton football in? Triplett coached there one year, got Ironton into the playoffs and had a winning record that year. I feel for the man who has to replace Lutz. Measuring up to the man, the myth and the only legend of Southern Ohio! But, poor, poor Oak Hill will never measure up to the big bad wolf who raided (year in and year out) the OVC of quality players so he could win. Nobody will ever measure up to this man! I could go on for days about his 1940's style offense also. Not that it doesn't work now-a-days but, it always seems like Ironton has great athletes. You could throw the ball at least 5 times a game. It is 2010 now!
Typical. You are demonstrating that you know very little of what you speak.

If you want to measure up to Ironton and Bob Lutz, there is an easy way to measure yourself. Just start with Playoff Appearances, State Championships, and number of wins. There you go. Knock yourself out and let me know how it turns out for you.

I have heard this for so long know it gets old. One team gets decent for a few years and all of a sudden Ironton doesn't want to play them, can't beat them, yada yada yada. I could go back list DOZENS of teams that scheduled Ironton for one year, at their place, because they thought they had the team to play with Ironton. EPIC FAIL!

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

You're not understanding this: If Ironton is so good, then why did they want Oak Hill to come to their place and play them?

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Oak Hill wanted a one year deal at Oak Hill?

Ironton had 5 away games and 4 home games. Leaving a conference, we needed a balance of home games. It would be unitelligent for our AD to put a one year away game on the schedule.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i've gotten pm's over my comments, be a man, if you have something to say address me on here. does oak hill, and west play this year. 1 game does not a powerhouse make. from the sounds of all the feedback i've heard west would beat ironton, if they met in the playoffs. west didn't asked to be brought into this conversation , i did it. coach triplett is establishing a tradition there at portsmouth west, and it sounds like they are rolling right along. but i doubt very seriously that oak hill, can win that game. wherever it's played. no i have not seen either play. and again , i'm very proud oak hill , is now becoming a football strong school as well. but to be frank with you, ironton always starts slow. i don't care how good of a team we have, and we play ultra conservative football, in the burg game 95 percent was right up the gut , at 10 men in the box. but in the same respect , if you cannot line up and physically stop that play after play , after play. ironton will wear you down, to where you can't hardly get in your stance. and have done that since 1972. now theres another aspect ironton has going for it this year depth. if a main player goes out , they can plug another in, and still do that. but not like teams we've played like columbus saint francis desales , or bishop watterson , who have 100 players , and probably 60 huge lineman a squad. but we also have a winning record against youngstown mooney university. don't think they play a tough schedule. look at it chalked full of d1 powerhouses. i guess what i'm trying to say is one victory over a common opponent. and both teams ran the middle all night. does not draw a comparison between the programs, our schedule is a completely different animal.i guess what i'm trying to say is get through this year, and see what happens then we'll talk. but i have nothing but praise for oak hill, and what it's been doing the last couple of years. i think it's great. but i don't think you are ready to bite mike tyson's ear off yet.

oak hill oak
Waterboy

Post by oak hill oak »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i've gotten pm's over my comments, be a man, if you have something to say address me on here. does oak hill, and west play this year. 1 game does not a powerhouse make. from the sounds of all the feedback i've heard west would beat ironton, if they met in the playoffs. west didn't asked to be brought into this conversation , i did it. coach triplett is establishing a tradition there at portsmouth west, and it sounds like they are rolling right along. but i doubt very seriously that oak hill, can win that game. wherever it's played. no i have not seen either play. and again , i'm very proud oak hill , is now becoming a football strong school as well. but to be frank with you, ironton always starts slow. i don't care how good of a team we have, and we play ultra conservative football, in the burg game 95 percent was right up the gut , at 10 men in the box. but in the same respect , if you cannot line up and physically stop that play after play , after play. ironton will wear you down, to where you can't hardly get in your stance. and have done that since 1972. now theres another aspect ironton has going for it this year depth. if a main player goes out , they can plug another in, and still do that. but not like teams we've played like columbus saint francis desales , or bishop watterson , who have 100 players , and probably 60 huge lineman a squad. but we also have a winning record against youngstown mooney university. don't think they play a tough schedule. look at it chalked full of d1 powerhouses. i guess what i'm trying to say is one victory over a common opponent. and both teams ran the middle all night. does not draw a comparison between the programs, our schedule is a completely different animal.i guess what i'm trying to say is get through this year, and see what happens then we'll talk. but i have nothing but praise for oak hill, and what it's been doing the last couple of years. i think it's great. but i don't think you are ready to bite mike tyson's ear off yet.
not sayn oak hill can beat them but who cares bout what you done in the past! its this year and i believe it would be a good game! so if we can brag bout our team for 1 year then we will! a team like oak hill dont come alone to often! so 4get your past and play in 2010!!

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

To expand further from earlier.

Knowing both of these ADs and their past, I would say they tried to make a game work.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

What was done in the past, is in the past. Not be a smartbutt, but as far as BURG: Their tradition, which they do have there, didnt get them a "W" at Oak Hill.

Its a "what have you done for me lately" society. Nobody really cares about what you did 10 years ago or a month ago for that matter.

Yes Ironton has that tradition too. But IF they played Oak Hill and IF they meet West in the playoffs, neither team would be thinking of how many playoff appearances or state championships their opponent has as they block, pass, tackle etc. the other team. Its just that simple. To me the mentioning of "state championships, traditon and playoff appearances" is just a way to take everyones focus off of the recent stuff that isnt panning out.

While I wish my alma matter had 2-3 championships, they wouldnt help this years team win any games! Its all about this year's coaches and kids!

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

You're right Tiger Bait. Ironton does win many games based on this offense and "pholiosophy". But, my biggest concern is when Lutz does leave. I would be afraid for that man simple for the fact that he is following a legend (and in many people's eyes), a god. It's hard to follow that. I just hope they're not as hard on that man as they were on Tripplett. And Ironton will win alot of games this year based on that philosophy that has been at Ironton for over 30 years. Bleeding Red is right as well: Tradition does not win you games and in this age it's about "what have you done lately?" type of mode that has ruined many people and kids and strayed them away from a holy game. And lastly, I think it would be a great tangle, Oak Hill vs. Ironton. Agility and Athletes (with an amazing line both ways to say the least) versus the tradition and standing power of Ironton.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Downtown wrote:You're right Tiger Bait. Ironton does win many games based on this offense and "pholiosophy". But, my biggest concern is when Lutz does leave. I would be afraid for that man simple for the fact that he is following a legend (and in many people's eyes), a god. It's hard to follow that. I just hope they're not as hard on that man as they were on Tripplett. And Ironton will win alot of games this year based on that philosophy that has been at Ironton for over 30 years. Bleeding Red is right as well: Tradition does not win you games and in this age it's about "what have you done lately?" type of mode that has ruined many people and kids and strayed them away from a holy game. And lastly, I think it would be a great tangle, Oak Hill vs. Ironton. Agility and Athletes (with an amazing line both ways to say the least) versus the tradition and standing power of Ironton.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------downtown, you and several others make great points. my point is this. obviously there was a chance for this game to happen, and it did not. and it will not in the playoffs, because they are in different divisions, at least this year. i do not think of anybody as god, but the good lord himself. though coach lutz is the winningest coach in the state of ohio , and like 20th in the nation.

then what do we base this mythical game on. but the past. and the fact is when ironton saint joe was coached by bob lutz they won, as one of the smallest school enrollments in the state. so tell me how else do we make this comparison, and do it with grace. i've pointed out several times , i'm thrilled with their success. and their new stadium, i think it's great for southeastern ohio. but without oak hill's girls basketball success, north of columbus they have never heard of you, which is sad, but true. people up north say they've never heard of ironton, though we've played in nearly every big venue in the state, regular season, or playoffs, are in the top 10 in playoff appearences, had the ironton tanks, tank memorial stadium, people in the pro football hall of fame, and constantly sending players to ohio state, and other colleges all over the state to play ball. and they still say they've never heard of ironton, horsefeathers they ain't. unless this game is scheduled the only thing we can do is speculate. and i saw it coming as soon as i saw the burg/oaks score. our trophy cases all full of league championship , state champ. runner up champ. regional champ, ap poll champ. thats all i have to go by , and thats not being cocky, sinister, or snubbing oak hill, in any way. all i can say is state your argument back. i fear for many of you , that you'll get a much closer look at ironton , within the very near future and we may be actually able to make these games reality. because literally this year we were 5 males away from d5, i know i'm beatin a dead horse , right. if some jobs don't come to i-town, n soon. we'll be able to have home/home games and see what happens, careful what you ask for. and finally yes. coach triplett was treated like crap. by people who claimed to be friends of his. the stuff i heard in the stands made my ears curl.it was truley the prodigal son returning. and would have done an amazing job at ironton, thats why i'm so proud of what he is doing at portsmouth west. because we have been friends for decades. i'm amazed to this day the grace he showed asking to step down , to make room for coach lutz again. he took the job , when nobody else wanted it n ran with it. and i might add, nearly beat logan, had a winning season, and made the playoffs, i'm just glad he is appreciated now where he is , as he deserves it. this in no way is a comparison of him and coach lutz, merrill triplett did what was asked of him, to coach the ironton fighting tigers. and was blackballed for it. it's a dang shame, how he was treated.and i fear the same will happen to anybody that succeeds coach lutz.unless he can coach for eternity, it will happen again. and i only hope they give whomever comes in some type of grace period to work with, and do it with dignity.bait.

MinFalcon
Waterboy

Post by MinFalcon »

Great post bait. I agree fully with you. Also, this matchup will never happen in the future either, even if I-town comes down a division because after this year, Oak Hill is done. They won't be making the playoffs after this. Heck, they may not even make it this year after their loss to the Falcons.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I'm also glad Oak Hill is enjoying success this year and of what the did last year.
But to bash Ironton and say they wouldn't play them is ashame.
As was mentioned earlier Ironton does start slow and always has it's a 10 game season and to compare to two games between Ironton and wheelersburg and Oak Hill and Wheelersburg would be a wrong thng to do.
Wheelersburg is always pumped for Ironton and the same with Ironton for wheelersburg.
It would be a good game but as Ironton plays out the season they will get stronger as the season plays out

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Amazing post Tiger Bait. In agreement 100 percent. And in the very near future, Oak Hill may be playing Ironton (I hope). Any time there is tradition on hand, it makes for something very special for foootball and the community it surrounds. Oak Hill exactly hasn't been bad in the past: They just haven't been the most consistent team in Southern Ohio. Tracing back all the way to the 70's, Oak Hill has only had maybe 10 losing seasons (which isn't bad for such a small school). Now I know people are going to say that Burg, Ironton and Portsmouth are better but, they should be: A slew of athletes almost every year and an entire town backing you, which is something even rarer than having talent or good coaching.

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

Speaking from experience, the Ironton tradition DOES matter. Ironton generally gets everyone elses BEST shot. Most teams on the Ironton schedule circle the Ironton game and use it as a measuring tool. Where the tradition really matters, is that nearly every opponent that Ironton faces EXPECTS to get beat. Deep down in the depths of their souls, most teams know of Ironton's success and tradition and they know they are an underdog. I have experienced it first hand on more than one occasion. A team may be really jacked up at the beginning of the game, etc etc, and after a long drive, and few punishing blows, a turnover here, penalty there, the opponent starts to give and caves in to the pregame inner thoughts of being the underdog anyway and that they were really expected to lose.

It can also work against Ironton. Take an underdog and let him hang around and hang around and they start believing they can play with the beast. I have seen that too. But trust me, when the big Tiger Greyhounds come rolling to your town, and not the yellow school bus, teams take notice, are intimidated, and expect to get beat. That is a fact.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i cannot believe this is even a topic, though i saw it coming. based on 1 common opponent, in a run up the middle battle. puh-leeze. no way oak hill can play with the tigers , ever. this is nonsense, and i might add , i'm very proud of oak hill. i think it's awesome we have such great d4, and d5 teams in this area. but don't back up to a load you can't pull.
This season in a Game If they played Oak Hill would beat Ironton. But what do I know I have only been around high school football for ........38 years now ;-)

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

D-5 wrote:...This season in a Game If they played Oak Hill would beat Ironton.
Or not.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I have seen Oak Hill play this year and these guys are tough. Very physical team and they have some good play makers. There recievers dropped some breadbasket passes against chesapeake but what can you expect for a first game. I will see Ironton in 2 weeks. Everything I am hearing is they are a well coached team as they are every year but they do not have the play makers they normally do. As every year they are a very good fundamental team but they can be beat.

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

Downtown wrote:What's even funnier about that "potential" matchup is that Ironton wouldn't play at a nuetral site or even Oak Hill. Something very odd about that. Lutz with his big, mean rolling machine wanting little ol' Oak Hill to come down to his house. That's a mystery.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They beat a common opponent and think they can prognosticate the outcome of Ironton/Oak Hill match-up. I thought everyone knew due to different styles you just can't do that. I guess not.

Hopefully our Ads can get together and schedule our big , mean rolling machine at the little ol' Oaks place. :lol:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

I-town-90 wrote:Speaking from experience, the Ironton tradition DOES matter. Ironton generally gets everyone elses BEST shot. Most teams on the Ironton schedule circle the Ironton game and use it as a measuring tool. Where the tradition really matters, is that nearly every opponent that Ironton faces EXPECTS to get beat.

It can also work against Ironton. Take an underdog and let him hang around and hang around and they start believing they can play with the beast. I have seen that too. But trust me, when the big Tiger Greyhounds come rolling to your town, and not the yellow school bus, teams take notice, are intimidated, and expect to get beat. That is a fact..
:lol: :lol: IN YOUR DREAMS !!!

Now how on earth would you know what other teams mark on their schedule or what they think ?............ other than........IN YOUR DREAMS?

You be a funny boy.... but I'm afraid your daydreaming is getting the best of you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I don't understand why the Ironton people are so sure of themselves that they would win at Oak Hill.

Don't they know that Lutz learned everything he knows that one year he was in Oak Hill.

Return to “Football”