Logan (0-3) @ Jackson (2-1) (SEOAL)

redrocket
Riding the Bench
Location: Along the river where the shotgun protects my humble abode 4 notes a week. You guess which four.

Re: Logan (0-3) @ Jackson (2-1) (SEOAL)

Post by redrocket »

I see the Chiefs getting on track this week and will keep on rolling thru the rest of the year.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

my heart tells me LOGAN but my mind is telling me that there are a lot of questions yet to answer.
has anyone heard about brandon?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

1987 -

I haven't heard anything about Graham or Long. Neither finished the game on Friday. Long had his arm in a sling and Graham was on crutches - and those aren't good signs.

I would think Logan is preparing to play without either of them. Heard long had a sprained non-throwing shoulder? So not sure what the recovery time is on that. I would say Graham had at the least some kind of major sprain in his leg that would likely keep you out 2 weeks at a minimum.

Purely speculation from what I saw on the sidelines.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

LoganLocos wrote:1987 -

I haven't heard anything about Graham or Long. Neither finished the game on Friday. Long had his arm in a sling and Graham was on crutches - and those aren't good signs.

I would think Logan is preparing to play without either of them. Heard long had a sprained non-throwing shoulder? So not sure what the recovery time is on that. I would say Graham had at the least some kind of major sprain in his leg that would likely keep you out 2 weeks at a minimum.

Purely speculation from what I saw on the sidelines.
Things like this happen when you play a tough non-conference schedule but with that being said, I think Logan will have no trouble getting this win to start SEOAL play. Logan 21 Jackson 7

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Thinking back to last Friday, here are a few observations:

1st, that was absolutely the worst game I have seen Logan play in well over 10 years. Even when Gahanna came in during th 2005 season and won 48-0, Logan was more competitive. Gahanna threw the ball more in that game than they did all season, and with our aggressive defense their play action killed us. Similarly, the Lancaster game in 2006 (38-0), that was a Lancaster team that went 10-0 and Logan had a TD on the 1st drive called back and the offense couldn't move the ball again.

But Friday was an unmitigated disaster. It may have been the cumulative affect of a couple of emotionally and physically draining games. I truly believe the staff and kids believed they could win last week, and once things started rolling down hill they couldn't push back.

It creates a HUGE challenge this week, perhaps one of the biggest challenges in a number of years. You can look at the '04 team that was 5-5 and won the SEOAL, but that team started 1-5 and then faced a couple of easier SEOAL games and then got back in the hunt after a Jackson loss. They had some recovery games before the title bout down in Gallipolis.

But this week Coach Wolfe and staff will be challenged to change the mindset: Playoffs are out of the question, and it's time to REFOCUS on the next season goal: SEOAL Title.

This was something Amyx did extremely well. He was a master motivator, and had the track record to convince kids that it was a new season. Can Kelly have the same success to MOTIVATE these kids?

It's also a challenge for THIS team and especially THESE seniors.

For 6 years Logan's teams have found ways to win. They have not lost a league game since October of 2004. The Chieftains are playing for every person who has put on the purple and white since that streak started. They are playing for Coach Wolfe and the entire staff, and they are playing for Coach Amyx and Coach Cassidy who were obviously a part of this as well.

No one wants to be the class that lets this streak end, and especially to let it end at 34 games leaving the streak tied with Ironton. If this class wins on Friday and breaks the SEOAL record, losing a different SEOAL game would still give this class a chance to break that streak.

It's time for THIS senior class to man up. They know they have the talent to win football games. I know they are tired of hearing that they have no choice but to be part of a "rebuilding year" or a "down year." I think these seniors want a different path. They want to be known as the class that COMPLETED the record held by Ironton. They have that chance on Friday night.

Friday night is a chance for this senior class and this football team to be a part of the GREAT history of Logan football. This game is SPECIAL. It's Logan-Jackson. It's the SEOAL season opener. It's a chance to for immortality - the immortality of being the team that extended the streak, against big time odds, past 34 games.

Play smart, play focused, play fast. That would keep Logan in the game. And they didn't play any of those last Friday night.

zbd
Freshman Team

Post by zbd »

I hope Logan can turn it around Jackson has a good team if Logan was at home I would feel better about them winning. I still will go with Logan 24-21

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

REAT STUFF LL!!!

dave
Riding the Bench

Post by dave »

Will have to go with Jackson in this match up.

Scott V. reported this morning on 98.3 that the Logan running back is out for the year and that Kelly L. could miss up to 2 weeks.

If Jackson has a speedster and can bounce him to the outside - its all over.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Locos is right on what he said earlier but he didn't add that it is a two edged sword. Jackson's seniors already saw a streak broken at Wellston and they do not want to be remembered for that. IF they could end Logan's streak in front of the home crowd it would erase that bad feeling left in their guts and refocus the attention to a possible seoal crown. There will be ALOT of emotion in this game and unfortunately somebody will leave the field crushed....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman -

I was at the Wellston/Jackson game (on the Jackson side) and know how disappointing that loss was for the 2010 edition of the Ironmen and especially this senior class. No doubt they know that they have a TREMENDOUS opportunity on Friday night.

But at the same time Logan has played with a GIGANTIC target on their back for 2 or 3 seasons. And even the first two weeks they faced teams who spent their summer preparing to BEAT LOGAN.

I know both Lancaster and Pickerington North devoted their summer to beating Logan. The week of our game their coach made them bow under a 2X4 nailed to the locker room door that said "Logan".

Why? Their coach believed they had to bow down to Logan all week before they could practice.

No doubt it will be an emotional night on both sides. I expect a huge crowd. I'm sure Jackson fans are licking their chops with anticipation of ending Logan's streak.

It's definitely a challenge for our kids, and I hope they look FORWARD to the opportunity. They are expected to lose so the pressure is off. Seize the opportunity to make history.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Anyone that EXPECTS them to lose is nuts. There is not a clear cut favorite in this game. Jackson has yet to prove they can beat a team that will stand toe to toe with them. Waverly and VC are going thru alot of changes and both teams will be better next year but they aren't Logan regardless of who they have hurt.

loganphan
Riding the Bench

Post by loganphan »

Logan wins, a young , injured , new coached logan football team is still better than our seoal foes !
go chiefs
logan 24
Jackson 21

loganphan
Riding the Bench

Post by loganphan »

grahams seeing the doctor today !

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Dang hate to hear about Graham and Long for that matter! At least McCarty should get some much needed experience and that will help in coming years but not only the offense will miss Graham so will the defense...I hope Logan brings a good crowd but don't bet on it,this is fair week an we know what that means,even home games are sparse during this time,I;m trying to get off work and go down and support......

sittin the pine
Waterboy

Post by sittin the pine »

IMO this game will be a dogfight to the end. Jackson played poorly in the opener against Wellston. With experienced players playing in new positions they just looked out of sync and could get nothing (ground or passing game) established. Give credit to Wellston. Although the opponents have been inferrior, the last two weeks has enabled the Ironmen to find an identity. This team has matured tremendously from week 1 to present. Don't let Logan's record fool you, there is a huge difference in play from D-1 schools to the SEOAL and although they graduated a truck load of talent, the Chieftans remain the class of the SEOAL until beaten. Both teams should come out with alot of emotion as both teams will have large crowds supporting them. The winner of this game must eliminate turnovers and penalties. Field position and time of possesion will be another critical component to a victory.

Jackson wins in overtime 27-21

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

sittin the pine wrote:IMO this game will be a dogfight to the end. Jackson played poorly in the opener against Wellston. With experienced players playing in new positions they just looked out of sync and could get nothing (ground or passing game) established. Give credit to Wellston. Although the opponents have been inferrior, the last two weeks has enabled the Ironmen to find an identity. This team has matured tremendously from week 1 to present. Don't let Logan's record fool you, there is a huge difference in play from D-1 schools to the SEOAL and although they graduated a truck load of talent, the Chieftans remain the class of the SEOAL until beaten. Both teams should come out with alot of emotion as both teams will have large crowds supporting them. The winner of this game must eliminate turnovers and penalties. Field position and time of possesion will be another critical component to a victory.

Jackson wins in overtime 27-21
This is a great post, in my opinion. I do think that Jackson rebounded nicely from a poor performance against Wellston. They've been able to build some confidence, work on a lot of things offensively, and make some switches on the defensive side of the ball as well. The level of competition will certainly rise when the Chiefs roll into to town, but I feel like Jackson is definitely talented enough to get the job done. It's just a matter of playing hard all night and executing. On the other hand, Logan may be a litte shaken mentally because of the three losses, but they also realize what they were up against. If the Logan staff is able to build their kids back up mentally (which I think they will), the Chiefs will be VERY tough to beat.

And I'm hoping for a great game, but if this thing goes to OT, it may not be good for my health. :lol:

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Post by Blue_Steel »

Something that I want to point out is that during that "streak" which I think will continue Friday night, is that Logan was just plain more talented across the board than the other SEOAL teams they played. They "Should have won those games". That being said I am not sure they are not still more talented across the board than most of the teams. Funny I don't see anyone complaining that they are bigger in #'s as they have been the last X# of years. Why because they are 0-3 . Remember the #'s are still there. They still have many more kids to chose from. In a rivalry game like this and like Wellston, I seen a Jackson team with no fight in them, once things fell apart against Wellston, they couldn't get back up. If Logan gets up early, Jackson collapses and gets blown out. If Jackson has success early its a close game. Either way I see a Logan win. Not what I really want to see, but until they get knocked off, knocked out they are still the champs.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

So, whats the word ? Both Logan players are two way starters and has to impact both the game plan and the use of other personnel to fill in the holes. Pretty tough to overcome the loss of your main RB in a basic one back attack. Looking to make a prediction, but would like to know who will or won't play.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin -

I think it is safe to say that Graham won't be playing this week. Based on the way medical personnel was treating him on Friday, my hope is that Logan gets him back at some point this season. It probably will not be this week.

As for Kelly Long, I noticed him the same time Graham came out, he had his arm in a sling and I was guessing collarbone. But now I've heard some kind of shoulder spain? He might be out a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a game time decision either. Friday has a funny way of healing kids.

As for replacements, I would guess that sophomore Cory McCarty (5-10, 180lbs) will get the start at running back with Cavinee also getting a look. McCarty is a great athlete and has some potential, but he is still a sophomore. On defense Travis Davis (transfer kid) would be my guess at OLB - kid has good size and really has played pretty well, just couldn't play over Cavinee or Graham.

Jordan Sharb (who starts at DE) and Brian Cook will see increased time at receiver, but they were both already in the rotation along with Long on offense. Defensively, look for Jurgensmier to move over to cornerback with Cook moving to safety. Logan has already shown that look more than once this season when Long was healthy.

McCarty could be in the mix on defense as well at either OLB or FS.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I knew Cavinee was a decent RB but was surprised that they switched Graham from WR to RB and he won out after he bulked up. Haven't heard much about McCarty but he has nice size for a Soph. The info helps, thanks.

Return to “Football”