Is Portsmouth West the real deal?

Can hey

Total votes: 0

QB4
Freshman Team

Re: Is Portsmouth West the real deal?

Post by QB4 »

IMO....West will Run the Table. I am really suprised how much a team can improve in just one year!! They are 5 deep in the backfield and can really throw the pigskin around when they want to. Like I said before....I think they are 10-0 once again and add on another SOC II Championship.

treehugger
Waterboy

Post by treehugger »

How soon can I get my tickets to Massillon?

GO SIDERS!!!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

i love southern ohio football and of all the teams in southern ohio i think west has the best chance to make it all the way, but don't over look the soc II!! minford, valley, and burg are all capeable of knocking west off!! just sayin! So Yes west is a great team!! but still beatable!

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

fuzzhead wrote:I haven't seen West play this year. The only time I watched them last year was against Minford and that was just ugly. Pendleton did everything (or at least tried). I know that if they can thrash Portsmouth, there is no reason they can't thrash Burg. And I don't think Burg is that much worse than Minford or Valley (we'll find out soon). They play a physical brand of football that - when it's played with sound fundamentals that come with experience - is just flat out daunting to opposition. West usually fields a very tough team every few years or so. They had a playoff team that made a minor splash two years ago but was still good enough to run the table in their conference. This team sounds better. The conference as a whole is better though. One thing is for sure: I'll
be taking in a West game sometime in this regular season.
Triplett has done a really good job of putting in a physical brand of football, its not flashy, but its fundementally sound and very effective. No one will mistake us for a spread air it out style of team, but we can pass this year and have done a good job of being balanced. Personally I don't think this team is as good as the 08 team, that was just a special year, but I do think that this team is very good and capable of going far into the playoffs, but being capable and doing it is two different things, and the conference is good this year so well have our hands full just getting through league play unscathed.

Something else, barring disater, coaching change in the near future, or anything like that I think that we will see West as a team who will either win the Soc or be in the top 3 and in the playoffs every year. Triplett and his staff has done a good job of changing this program, and we have a lot of talent this year and the next 3 years, but Im not worried about next year, Im worried about this one, because we could just as easily go 7-3 and miss the playoffs, we'll just have to see how it plays out I we will be in a good spot come week 11

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

no doubt sider. thats all he's ever known is physical smashmouth football. i look for them and ironton to meet somewhere along the way. that would be awesome.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

Valley very talented but I dont think are strong and physical enough to compete with West. But that is why they play the games.

bad breath
Riding the Bench

Post by bad breath »

I had a "sider" tell me this afternoon they are for real and will be 2010 state champs in their division. He sounded very confident.

Rastus
Waterboy

Post by Rastus »

bad breath wrote:I had a "sider" tell me this afternoon they are for real and will be 2010 state champs in their division. He sounded very confident.
He sounds very stupid. As for the question of "real deal", any team that scores 49 pts while giving up 6 turnovers, which is what West did versus Sout Point, is for real. As for designs on another state title run some West fans are as delusional and lack perspective as Minfurduuuh fans. Teams like Kettering Alter, Germantown Valley View, not to mention Ironton and Col Bishop Hartley will have something to say about that. Any team that is in the top 8 in West's region could win the region, but the final four is another story.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I think Portsmouth West is a terrific team, and possibly the second best team in southeastern Ohio. At this point though, I think it's hard to argue with the fact that Ironton would beat West soundly along with anybody else in southeastern Ohio.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Not hard to argue a bit...I think west just may be a bit much for Ironton.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Boonedawg wrote:Not hard to argue a bit...I think west just may be a bit much for Ironton.
CALPREPS after week 5 Ironton (OH) 31, Portsmouth West (West Portsmouth, OH) 14

I'll have to wait and see how they fare against Minford and Valley before I can say whether they are for real or not, they just have to play a good team and show how good they really are IMO. As far as Ironton goes, they have beaten much better Teams to this point, maybe we'll get to find out in the Playoffs who the better Team really is.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Ashland was probably a more talented team than West across the board and we seen what happened when they played Ironton right? West is a very good team no doubt and Pendleton is special but I think @ this point Ironton is just too big, fast and physical across both sides of the line for West, this would be a very interesting playoff matchup huh? Good luck the rest of the year West!

bad breath
Riding the Bench

Post by bad breath »

The "sider" I spoke with today did say if West and Ironton played this week West would win by 7 at home. He did not say what the outcome would be at Ironton.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have to agree. Ironton had played a tough schedule. West has played a very overrated Portsmouth team and basically the OVC, minus the only good OVC team in Coal Grove.

Nobody in their right mind would say that West would be Ironton right now. Who knows how good West really is. Last year it was the same thing, then Minford smacked them in the mouth and it got ugly. I am sure West is much better than last year, but they have not proven anything yet.

I dont care if they played in the Wheelersburg Krogers parking lot. Ironton would dominate them.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

WAY TO HARD TO GO 10-0 :idea:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I would love to see West and Ironton meet. That probably puts us in a regional final.

I think we match up very well. To say Ironton is bigger is true. West is good sized, but not huge. They are however extremely strong and can hold up at the point of attack. They also have excellent depth, so they won't get wore down up front.

They have excellent team speed. Our defense is really fast. The only time I've saw Ironton was against Burg. Wilks is fast, but as a whole Ironton is slow compared to West.

We will see how good West is next week at Minford. My guess is it won't be pretty for the home team. If they are small as some say and the pictures I've seen, West will run at will on them. You cannot compare this team to last year. We have a passing game, excellent speed, and our line is awsome. We will dominate Minford in the trenches.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

siderman wrote:I would love to see West and Ironton meet. That probably puts us in a regional final.

I think we match up very well. To say Ironton is bigger is true. West is good sized, but not huge. They are however extremely strong and can hold up at the point of attack. They also have excellent depth, so they won't get wore down up front.

They have excellent team speed. Our defense is really fast. The only time I've saw Ironton was against Burg. Wilks is fast, but as a whole Ironton is slow compared to West.

We will see how good West is next week at Minford. My guess is it won't be pretty for the home team. If they are small as some say and the pictures I've seen, West will run at will on them. You cannot compare this team to last year. We have a passing game, excellent speed, and our line is awsome. We will dominate Minford in the trenches.
Like last year? When all-star was getting popped 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage? Doesnt West have another cupcake to worry about this week before Big Bad Minford next week?

Minford is W-A-Y faster than West.

QB4
Freshman Team

Post by QB4 »

Badboy wrote:
siderman wrote:I would love to see West and Ironton meet. That probably puts us in a regional final.

Like last year? When all-star was getting popped 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage? Doesnt West have another cupcake to worry about this week before Big Bad Minford next week?

IMO....West will beat Minford by 2 TD's!!!!!

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

QB4 wrote:
Badboy wrote:

IMO....West will beat Minford by 2 TD's!!!!!

Just like last year, right! LOL

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Badboy wrote: Like last year? When all-star was getting popped 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage? Doesnt West have another cupcake to worry about this week before Big Bad Minford next week?

you will see soon enough.

Return to “Football”