Week 9: Ironton Fighting Tigers Host The Fairbanks Panthers

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Week 9: Ironton Fighting Tigers Host The Fairbanks Pant

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i think the big cats show the lil cats, who's king of the jungle.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

We're at the point in the Season where We can't afford to take anyone lightly, We need to stay focused and come out ready to play.

Wish I could make it to the game but I have to work 16 hours a day the next 4 days.

GO TIGERS.............
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

I'm going to go with my Tigers fairly big in this one.
Fairbanks 14
Ironton 35

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Game Day.................GO TIGERS

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Good luck tonight and to all the seniors: Have fun and LEAVE NO DOUBT!!

GO TIGERS GO!!

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Good luck to the Ironton Fighting Tigers tonight. I hope one of your playoff games will be at Alumni Stadium so I can visit with my friends again.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

GO TIGERS...... TIGERS ROLL BY 21 :aaaaa26

The Raven
Waterboy

Re: Ironton Fighting Tigers Host The Fairbanks Panthers

Post by The Raven »

[quote=\\\\\\\"trip4\\\\\\\"]i town.. said a few weeks ago.

Farmsbanks is Jonathan Alder\\\\\\\'s JV team..
[/quote]

Is this site always like this. I\\\'m probably the first poster from Fairbanks and the first thing i see is a slam on our school. Maybe I don\\\'t know what I\\\'m getting into. I just wanted to say one thing and then I\\\'ll leave for good. My school don\\\'t need this type of insult. There are too many good sites out there that don\\\'t tolerate that kind of garbage.

The Panthers are a very good team and will give Ironton a game of it. I\\\'m sure Ironton has a good team also but let me make my prediction.

Fairbanks 21
Ironton 20

This will be one of the best small schools Ironton will play.

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

Raven, You are the only small school Ironton plays. No offense but Ironton wins this game 42-14

trip4
Riding the Bench

Post by trip4 »

raven...

sorry to hurt your feelings.. we'll send over some cookies, punch and trophy for everbody...

to our cross county foe...

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

The Raven wrote:
\\\\\\\"trip4\\\\\\\" wrote:i town.. said a few weeks ago.

Is this site always like this. I\\\'m probably the first poster from Fairbanks and the first thing i see is a slam on our school. Maybe I don\\\'t know what I\\\'m getting into. I just wanted to say one thing and then I\\\'ll leave for good. My school don\\\'t need this type of insult. There are too many good sites out there that don\\\'t tolerate that kind of garbage.

The Panthers are a very good team and will give Ironton a game of it. I\\\'m sure Ironton has a good team also but let me make my prediction.

Fairbanks 21
Ironton 20

Raven, not all of us feel like some of the posters on here might come off as. I, as a Tiger fan, welcome you to SEOPS. Trip4 is running his mouth as someone that no one has any idea where he is actually from. He definitely isn't from Ironton, so don't let him give you a bad taste of us Ironton fans. Have a safe trip down tonight.

trip4
Riding the Bench

Post by trip4 »

TigerTownKid wrote:
The Raven wrote:
\\\\\\\"trip4\\\\\\\" wrote:i town.. said a few weeks ago.

Fairbanks 21
Ironton 20

Raven, not all of us feel like some of the posters on here might come off as. I, as a Tiger fan, welcome you to SEOPS. Trip4 is running his mouth as someone that no one has any idea where he is actually from. He definitely isn't from Ironton, so don't let him give you a bad taste of us Ironton fans. Have a safe trip down tonight.

Raven... is this site always like thiiiiiisssss.. mmmmmmmmm... geezzzzz I need some cookies and a trophy
mom sign me up for rec-ball, they alway get a snack and trophy's..

not from ironton..

would i like to FAIRBANKS win... He!!! ya....... likely not..
Ironton was a pick up game from when Marion Catholic dropped football for the season i doo believe...
Is Ironton making a return to trip to Union County next year.

some fishwrap news.....

The Panthers won 48-8. The 6-1 Panthers will travel to Ironton on Friday.
––––
After a couple of weeks hovering near a potential playoff berth, the Fairbanks Panthers have put themselves in line for the Division V post-season ... for now.
Today’s release of the state computer rankings have the Panthers (6-1) at No. 8 in Region 20. If the playoffs were to begin this weekend, Fairbanks would be in since the top eight teams in each region qualify for the post-season.
Whether the Panthers actually advance to their second playoff berth in coach Morgan Cotter’s four-year tenure depends a great deal on what happens Friday night.
A bunch of computer points are there for the taking but the challenge will be very stiff when the Panthers travel to Division IV Ironton (6-2).

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Why Fairbanks has only 7 games played this year? Their opponent, St. Wendelin Mohawks cancelled a game with them and then Wendelin cancelled the rest of their season. They're talking about building on this year? who would continue to schedule them?
Prep football: Injuries force Mohawks to cancel
By SCOTT COTTOS

for the courier

FOSTORIA -- Good fortune stayed with the St. Wendelin football team for the better part of five weeks.

The Mohawks not only showed marked improvement over a winless 2009 season and put up a 3-2 record, but they largely kept their 17-player team healthy.

But a spate of significant injuries in recent weeks has hit the Mohawks in such a way that on Monday the school canceled this weekend's scheduled Northwest Central Conference game against Milford Center Fairbanks. The contest was scheduled for Saturday night at Memorial Stadium.

The game will officially be counted as a no-game, as was St. Wendelin's game that was canceled by Cincinnati Horizon Science earlier this season, according to OHSAA rules. The OHSAA doesn't award forfeits in such cases and treats a canceled game as an open date on a team's schedule.

Athletic director Donene Smith, coach Bill Hrabak and principal Angela Joseph decided Monday to cancel the game with hopes of returning to the playing field for the next scheduled contest, Oct. 15 at Lima Perry.

"We'll field a team when we feel we have enough players to compete as we should," Smith said.

Hrabak said his team was looking at having 12 players available for Saturday night's game.

"And those 12 aren't all healthy either," Smith said.

"It's just going to be collect the doctor's notes and see how it washes out and go from there," Hrabak said. "We want the kids to be 100 percent when they come back so that they're of a competitive nature. We could piecemeal it together, but that may not be in the best interests, safety-wise for the kids, to do that."

The players were informed of the decision Monday and immediately told to contact their parents with the details in an effort to prevent inaccurate information from being circulated.

Smith emphasized that the decision to cancel this week indicates neither an intention to do so for the remainder of the season nor to drop the sport for next year.

"We intend to play as soon as we can," she said. "We definitely want to play next year. Our numbers should be substantially higher next year. We'd like to get through this season, but this week we cannot play. We will re-evaluate on Monday and hopefully play next weekend."

Most teams have a number of players with nagging minor injuries at this point of the season. But at St. Wendelin, not falling into that category are junior wide receiver/defensive back George Iannantuono's deep thigh bruise, suffered in Week 4, nor junior quarterback/linebacker Zach Miller's broken leg, suffered in Week 5.

Then more came about.

Hrabak moved running back Austin Reinhart to quarterback for last week's game at Waynesfield-Goshen, but the sophomore as of Monday, the coach said, was awaiting word on the condition of a sore ankle on which he had been playing in recent weeks.

Hrabak said the Waynesfield-Goshen game also saw senior two-way lineman Mike Gutierez sustain a broken wrist and blunt-force trauma to his abdominal region and sophomore two-way lineman Clayton O'Neill removed from action with a concussion.

Miller is out for the season. The length of time before the other players will be available was unknown as of Monday.

The offensive line has been and will continue to be an area of concern regarding the Mohawks' ability to field a team because of a limited number of players who are physically suited to safely play there.

"We're definitely week to week," Smith said.

Smith said she spoke by phone on Monday to Fairbanks principal Tom Montgomery and communicated via e-mail with conference commissioner Dave May.

"The league has been very sympathetic to us," said Smith, who in 2003 oversaw a situation in which low numbers and injuries resulted in the Mohawks canceling their last two games of the season. "They've been very understanding."
St. Wendelin calls off football season
Tuesday, October 19, 2010

St. Wendelin's Mohawks knew from the beginning of the season that a 17-man football roster was fragile.

The breaking point came Monday, when the school canceled its final contest of the season, scheduled for Oct. 29 at Upper Scioto Valley.

With this week's game having already been nixed by DeGraff Riverside, the Mohawks' season is over.

A string of injuries that began in late September finally became such that school officials deemed a continuation of the season not to be prudent.

"The decision was made that, in fairness to our athletes and in fairness to USV, this would be the best thing to do right now," football coach Bill Hrabak said.

"Father (Nicholas) Weibl (church pastor), Ms. (Angela) Joseph (school principal), Donene (Smith, athletic director) and I looked at the parameters of the whole thing, and each time we added it up it didn't look like we would be able to answer the bell."

Hrabak informed the players of the season's end Monday afternoon.

"Everybody got pretty sad," senior Elli Hipsher said.

"We just got caught by injuries," junior Alex Galvan said.

"This is tough," said Smith, who also saw the 2003 season shortened due to injuries. "These boys fought hard. They did everything they could to stay on the field. The coaches did everything they could to keep them on the field. There just comes a point where you have to throw in the towel.

"You hate to do this to the kids and to the fans. If there was any possible way we could finish this season, we would do it. But at this point, we can't."

A spate of serious injuries and a specific concern about putting undersized players into line positions prompted school officials to cancel St. Wendelin's Oct. 9 Northwest Central Conference home game against Milford Center Fairbanks.

At that time, Smith alerted league schools that, should they not want to risk St. Wendelin not being able to play a scheduled game, they would be welcome to seek another opponent.

DeGraff Riverside did just that, dropping a visit to St. Wendelin for this Friday in favor of a home contest against Dayton Jefferson.

In last Friday night's loss at Lima Perry, the Mohawks' Mike Gutierrez and Austin Reinhart, both playing at less than complete health, sustained new, significant injuries. Zach Gillett was also hurt.

Taking into consideration factors including recovery time for those who are hurt, a lack of practice time for the Mohawks, the possibility of not being able to complete the game and a time element to allow USV to pursue a replacement opponent, St. Wendelin opted against facing the Rams.

The Mohawks went 3-3 in the six games they played this season, showing vast improvement in the quality of their play over last year, when they were 0-10.

And many more factors, including a scrimmage trip to North Carolina, a visit to Michigan for a game and a homecoming win over Ridgemont, made for a good, though, abbreviated season, Hrabak said.

"There are a lot of positive things to point at," he said. "We just need to build on them for next year."

A St. Wendelin junior high team that sports a 6-1 record includes 11 eighth-graders, while this year's varsity squad loses just two seniors to graduation. And along with hoping for better numbers next season, Hrabak said several of the eighth-graders will be physically ready to compete at the varsity level.

"Retention is the big word right now -- retaining that eighth-grade group," Hrabak said. "There are 11 of them. And if we bring 11 up to add to 15, we're at 26 and that's a workable number."

trip4
Riding the Bench

Post by trip4 »

Fairbanks 2010
8/27 H North Union (8-0) [5:20] L 0-26
9/3 H Southeastern Local (2-6) [6:24] W 28-0
9/10 A Triad (5-3) [5:20] W 37-34
9/17 H Riverside (2-6) [6:24] W 19-14
9/24 A Perry (2-6) [6:22] W 41-12
10/1 H Upper Scioto Valley (3-5) [6:22] W 47-21
10/9 A St Wendelin (3-3) [6:22] C * cancelled
10/15 H Ridgemont (1-7) [6:22] W 48-8
10/22 A Ironton (6-2) [4:15]
10/29 A Waynesfield-Goshen (4-4) [6:24]

The St. Wendelin games was one of 2 canceled this year. Marion Catholic canceled their game with FAIRBANKS in
July due to http://www.mariononline.com/sports/2010 ... n-catholic not enough players or boys in
school. Ironton game was schedule some time after..

Fairbanks needs to upgrade it's schedule, Ironton is in the right direction but what a challenge (2time state champ, 6 time runner-up)

They play 6 D6 schools , with them trying to make the playoffs in D5, they can't afford a loss. They lost to a GOOD North Union Team
loaded with Seniors. It's time Fairbanks got out of that league, upgrade to the MOAC conference, where they play D5, D4 schools that they match up with.. they could go 8-2 and make the D5 playoffs.

Fairbanks is a quality team .. no joking.. No COOKIES!!! No PUNCH. NO TROPHY
They've sent a few kids off to D2 and D3 schools in the l past few years.
They have athlete's... look for them to play hard, and play thru the game regardless of the outcome

He!!.... LUTZ HAS BEEN AT IRONTON ALMOST AS LONG AS FAIRBANKS HAS HAD FOOTBALL..
that's unreal.. Ironton's success is it's longevity of it's coachs, and staff. That is one of key points of
success in high school football and sports.. Teams and School who keep successfull coachs win games.

Year Wins Losses Ties Coach
1970 4 4 1 Frank Spurlock
1971 5 4 Frank Spurlock
1972 3 7 Frank Spurlock
1973 6 4 Union County Champions Frank Spurlock
1974 3 6 1 Frank Spurlock
1975 7 3 Frank Spurlock
1976 5 4 Frank Spurlock
1977 4 6 Frank Spurlock
1978 8 2 WCOC Champions Frank Spurlock
1979 8 2 Frank Spurlock
1980 9 1 WCOC Champions Frank Spurlock
1981 10 0 WCOC Champions Frank Spurlock
1982 9 1 WCOC Champions Frank Spurlock
1983 9 1 WCOC Champions Frank Spurlock
1984 5 5 Frank Spurlock
1985 7 3 Frank Spurlock
1986 8 2 Frank Spurlock
1987 8 2 Frank Spurlock
1988 4 6 Frank Spurlock
1989 6 4 Frank Spurlock
1990 7 3 Mark Geer
1991 8 2 WCOC Champions Mark Geer
1992 7 3 Mark Geer
1993 2 8 Mark Geer
1994 1 9 Mark Geer
1995 0 10 Mark Geer
1996 10 1 WCOC Champions, Playoffs Ted Weirzbecki
1997 6 4 Ted Weirzbecki
1998 10 1 WCOC Champions, Playoffs Ted Weirzbecki
1999 10 1 WCOC Champions, Playoffs Dave Gebhart
2000 9 3 WCOC Champions, Playoffs Dave Gebhart
2001 4 6 Jeff Pica
2002 2 8 Jeff Pica
2003 2 8 Carlton Cotner
2004 3 7 Carlton Cotner
2005 7 3 Carlton Cotner
2006 6 4 NWCC Co-Champions Carlton Cotner
2007 9 2 NWCC Champions, Playoffs Morgan Cotter
2008 8 2 NWCC Champions Morgan Cotter
239 152 2

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

what does someone actually think that a team from south of 270 is going to beat a might north team..... who would have ever guessed it..... :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

hope ya'll have a sage trip down, and we have an awesome injury free game. don't forget to stop by tiger alley, behind the home bleachers.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

ALMOST GAME TIME
On the radio on WIRO 1230 AM
On the internet: http://www.foxsports1230.com/main.html
Click on LISTEN LIVE at the top left.

I just started a separate UPDATES thread so this one will be open for commentary and cheerleading.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

AT THE HALF - SCORE: IRONTON 16 - FAIRBANKS 12

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

close game

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FINAL SCORE: IRONTON 29 - MILFORD CENTER FAIRBANKS 19
Probable HOME first playoff game for Ironton - Good luck to Fairbanks making it into the playoffs - GREAT GAME

Return to “Football”