New SOC/OVC League

hbk2016
Varsity

Re: New SOC/OVC League

Post by hbk2016 »

BengalFan,

That is a good suggestion, what a great league that would make.

Think they will ever consider it?

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

that would certainly cut Chillicothe's travel budget and fill their trophy case.... now lets get back to being serious and bring Waverly back to the SEOAL.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

That would be the dumbest thing Waverly could do. SEOAL give me a break.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

So you would rather put them in the SVC ? Seems to me that they played a pretty tough schedule last season and they already play Jackson every year anyway so why not the SEOAL ? Playing the likes of Huntington and Southeastern every year seem more a challenge for them ? Waverly has what 90 more boys than Paint Valley or Huntington and 70 more than Southeastern. Jackson has been crucified for even mentioning the SOC as an option because we would be "the big dog" and you're basically wanting Waverly to make the same type of move. Are they expecting a big drop off when the next enrollment numbers come out ?

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Waverly would be nuts to move in their current situation . I was just amazed that someone would even mention the SVC when you look at the schedule that Waverly played this past season. Why would you take a program that wants to grow and put it in a smaller cage ?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Add Greenfield, Vinton Co, Chillicothe, and Waverly it is no longer a small cage.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Adding Chilli to the SVC is...i don't even have the words. Chilli is one of the biggest schools in the region. Vinton Co is also too big. I think you're looking at moving the SVC in the wrong direction with any of these additions...

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Chillicothe in the SVC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Lots of good reasons for Waverly to join the SVC. Press (currently have little) , Soccer, Wrestling, travel is better. JV program is much better and Jr High is miles ahead of SOC. 9 or 10 team league is a good thing for football playoffs.

Unioto, ZT, Piketon and Westfall all have more than 200 boys so are close in size. Waverly will not always be Div 3 in football, we were 1 boy over the max for div 4.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I also think the gates would be much better for basketball. Football gates would be just as good and we could still play Jackson.

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Something to keep in mind (that is always prevalent whenever new conference topics come up) is that these divisions have to be based on enrollment. While Northwest is not one of the most athletically competitive schools in the area it is the one of the largest and must be placed in the larger division.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: What might be

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

induct chuck wrote:I like it, but I'd put Rock Hill or South Point into the small schools instead of Coal Grove
---------------the trouble is , they are not small schools, bigger enrollment than ironton in both. just gotta get their sports in line.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

There is no RULE that says you have to divide by size.

You can use other criteria when dividing a conference.

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Good luck finding a criteria that works every time, for every sport, every year!

Enrollment is the only consistent criteria available for dividing up divisions.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Most conferences that are divided are done so geographically. North-South or East-West

Do you plan to rearrange the conference every two years based on the October count/divisions?

Valley will probably be smaller than Oak Hill next year, should we flip them?

hornetnut
Riding the Bench

Post by hornetnut »

Love the concept. Good idea 2trap. Might want to consider moving Waverly up and bringing Chesapeake down. I think this idea was discussed several years ago. OVC needs this. It will be tough when they drop to a 5 team league and have to get 6 non-conference games every year.

Return to “Football”