Coach Phil davis.

Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Coach Phil davis.

Post by Ovcman »

After 42 years of coaching, Coach Davis has announced his retirement. Giving my shout out to coach for all that he has done for me and the Chesapeake community as well. You will be dearly missed.

Bear
Freshman Team

Re: Coach Phil davis.

Post by Bear »

My full admiration goes out to this man. He is a heck of of a coach and a better man. They need to name the field after him and Coach Morgan.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Very happy that he will find some more time to fish and relax with his wife. He is a very good coach but a great man. The field needs to be named after him for sure.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Another point of note is that Chesapeake loses the coach with the most consecutive years of coaching in the conference. You have to wonder if his successor will run the some offense, and will it come from within the district or will they look outside.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Have a lot of respect for Phil.

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

What a tremendous man. What about Wrestling? I want to wish coach Davis the best Coach Yinger Nelsonville-York Wrestling. He coached against me as a wrestler and as a coach. Great person.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Coach always said that he feared if he left that they would do away with the program. Add that to the fact that their isn't anyone inside the district who has had experience coaching wrestling. Right now the Middle School program is ran by the Browns. Ken retired from teaching years ago and Travis teaches in Cabell County....So who knows what will happen with that program.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Andy Clark would be my first guess Bear.

BTW, for any BOE member who is reading this thread, Coach Davis set the standard at Chesapeake in football. He is the reason our program is now respected rather then laughed at. For a very long time we were the River Valley of the conference (Sorry RV), and because of him we now own 8 more OVC titles and 7 playoff appearances, including three playoff wins, three home playoff games, an undefeated season (only the second in history) and 1 regional appearance.

Before Coach Davis Chesapeake had won 3 OVC titles in our existence----3!

I hope all of you well educated-respected community leaders make a great choice and honor the man the way he deserves to be honored.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

I would love to see Andy get it.

0 for Monday
Waterboy

Post by 0 for Monday »

I hope that Andy gets it. He is a good guy who knows the game of football very well. He came back to Chesapeake from Rock Hill and has waited for this opportunity. I hope they give him a chance.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Over the years of running the chains at RV, I can truthfully say that Mr. Davis is a gentleman and possibly the best sideline coach that I have seen. He never berates his players, effectively uses his assistants and wins games.

Although I do not know him personally, I would wager that his behavior off of the field is much the same.

I will be sad to see him go.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

It sure would be nice to see this above the scoreboard... PHIL DAVIS FIELD. That would be a great honor for him i mean this man is Chesapeake Football and always will be. The BOE needs to Respect the fact what he did for the program and do something for him by either naming the field or stadium after him. and if that doesnt happen why not a statue of him near the field!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

We old folx remember Coach D. from his Buffalo of Wayne Co. days. His teams there were always tuff.

hornetnut
Riding the Bench

Post by hornetnut »

Coach Davis is a class act and a great family man. Just want to mention that he has had tremendous success also as a track coach along with wrestling and football. Great idea to put his name above the scoreboard. Good luck coach and may God continue to bless you. :-D

throughmyeyes
Waterboy

Post by throughmyeyes »

I am a peake fan now and forever but to name a field or a basketball court after anyone is crazy.Heck put my name on it or any tax payers name on it we are the ones who payed for the field,court, and there salaries.And yes give me a floor sander and I will sand the name off of the basketball court.just my opinion.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Why is it so crazy. I get tired of hearing the "we the tax payer speech".

Naming a field, stadium or court after someone is a common practice (The Dean Dome, Coach K Court, etc). I don't see why it is such a slap in the face to tax payers. How does putting someones name on the field, court, or above the scoreboard diminish anything? If you want the field or stadium named after you I suggest you make a considerable donation to the athletic boosters, and maybe you will.

Get over the we pay their salaries bit too, you going to make that claim for everyone that doesn't work in the private sector? I guess all of those nice bridges, roads, buildings named after Robert C. Byrd should be taken down to? I mean all the tax payers paid his salary too. It is a played out argument, not to mention on guess alone half of Chesapeake lives at or below the poverty level. The salaries they make for coaching are minuscule compared to the amount of work they put in. It is public record but I believe the last season Coach Persin was at Chesapeake he was making 5,000 for the year. I would say if he actually punched a time clock for the amount of work he put in, he is getting paid like $5 dollars and hour. You going to have to get over yourself on this one.

When Coach Lutz walks away I am willing to bet the people of Ironton would take it as an insult if he were not honored in such a fashion.

Coach Davis is to Chesapeake what Lutz is to Ironton Football. Consider the fact that we have been home to crap football for nearly 50 years before his arrival. 3 OVC titles and 0 playoff appearances in the existence of Chesapeake football when he arrived, and a program that the board told him to not let be a laughing stock anymore. I would say he accomplished that.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

If anyone deserves it, Coach Davis deserves it for what he's done at Chesapeake.
peake wrote:When Coach Lutz walks away I am willing to bet the people of Ironton would take it as an insult if he were not honored in such a fashion.
He already is. It was done when he broke the record for wins in the State of Ohio.

bigdawg
Waterboy

Post by bigdawg »

I Graduated with Clark and played football with him , he is a heck of a guy and would be a great coach for the peake. And as far as naming the field after coach Davis It would be an honor to have the field named after him!!!!

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

bigdawg wrote:I Graduated with Clark and played football with him , he is a heck of a guy and would be a great coach for the peake. And as far as naming the field after coach Davis It would be an honor to have the field named after him!!!!
Agreed and +1.

What position were you? My ole memory might be able to figure you out... :)

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

peake wrote:Why is it so crazy. I get tired of hearing the "we the tax payer speech".

Naming a field, stadium or court after someone is a common practice (The Dean Dome, Coach K Court, etc). I don't see why it is such a slap in the face to tax payers. How does putting someones name on the field, court, or above the scoreboard diminish anything? If you want the field or stadium named after you I suggest you make a considerable donation to the athletic boosters, and maybe you will.

Get over the we pay their salaries bit too, you going to make that claim for everyone that doesn't work in the private sector? I guess all of those nice bridges, roads, buildings named after Robert C. Byrd should be taken down to? I mean all the tax payers paid his salary too. It is a played out argument, not to mention on guess alone half of Chesapeake lives at or below the poverty level. The salaries they make for coaching are minuscule compared to the amount of work they put in. It is public record but I believe the last season Coach Persin was at Chesapeake he was making 5,000 for the year. I would say if he actually punched a time clock for the amount of work he put in, he is getting paid like $5 dollars and hour. You going to have to get over yourself on this one.

When Coach Lutz walks away I am willing to bet the people of Ironton would take it as an insult if he were not honored in such a fashion.

Coach Davis is to Chesapeake what Lutz is to Ironton Football. Consider the fact that we have been home to crap football for nearly 50 years before his arrival. 3 OVC titles and 0 playoff appearances in the existence of Chesapeake football when he arrived, and a program that the board told him to not let be a laughing stock anymore. I would say he accomplished that.

OMG! What is going on here... I find myself agreeing with Peake twice in the same week.

Return to “Football”