SEO

Re: OHSAA proposes revising way schools are placed in divisi

Post by moonshine »

ttt

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I have crunched the numbers for Piketon, 184 girls currently, 202 boys. We are a statewide open enrolled school, however only 5 high school kids come from non adjacent districts, 53 total open enrolled coming in, 41 going out. We get hit with the 6% enrollment addition.

The socioeconomic numbers are 268 free lunches at the high school times 10% subtraction.

Our boys bball team made it to the state semis in 08, and the girls softball state semis in 2010 so we get hit with an 8% addition for tradition factor.

What does this mean for Piketon, we would lose 2 girls numbers and gain 1 boy! lol

The village of Piketon has 27% of its population living BELOW the poverty level, and 65% of its students on free and reduced lunches and this is weighted the same as making it to the state semis in 2 sports.

The tradition factor is a joke, I challenge any one to find a school in the state who hasnt made it to the regional finals in 1 sport in the last say 20 years! Talent comes in cycles at rural public schools, the cycle is just shorter in better socio economic areas and private schools!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Eagles73 if you look at the baseball numbers then there is no tradition. thus less boys.
The numbers are done per sport not school wide.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I thought thats how it read, wasnt sure. Ok, plus the boys bball will be expired by the time this might start and softball might just come into play.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I read it, that it would be based on a sport by sport basis.
Possible different divisions based on how numbers work out.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

In Arizona we have 6 divisions for sports..the largest is 5A-1 and just below that is 5A-2, div 4 has the same setup and then 1, 2 and div 3 have just one division...the reason for the 1 and 2 in the 4 and 5A division is these are the largest schools and by dividing them into 1 and 2 it allows for a better balance for compition...a school in a lower class can petition to move up to a higher div..With Phoenix and Tucson having the larger schools most of the 4 and 5 are in these areas. Also and footnote..schools do not get to pick a league,,the ASA (Az version of Ohsaa) puts the teams in regions based on size..really cuts down on travel for the Phoenix and Tucson schools...towns like Yuma, Flagstaff, Prescott and so forth still have a lot of travelling.....wipalawalt

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

wipalawalt wrote:In Arizona we have 6 divisions for sports..the largest is 5A-1 and just below that is 5A-2, div 4 has the same setup and then 1, 2 and div 3 have just one division...the reason for the 1 and 2 in the 4 and 5A division is these are the largest schools and by dividing them into 1 and 2 it allows for a better balance for compition...a school in a lower class can petition to move up to a higher div..With Phoenix and Tucson having the larger schools most of the 4 and 5 are in these areas. Also and footnote..schools do not get to pick a league,,the ASA (Az version of Ohsaa) puts the teams in regions based on size..really cuts down on travel for the Phoenix and Tucson schools...towns like Yuma, Flagstaff, Prescott and so forth still have a lot of travelling.....wipalawalt
Leagues and regions aren't the same thing so I'm not sure why they wouldn't let a team be in a League they want to be in if the other members of that league want them.

throughmyeyes
Waterboy

Post by throughmyeyes »

I think it boils down to private schools haveing an edge over public schools they are allowed to recruit while public schools cannot.This makes sense and what would even the playing field is either make private schools play up a division,make a private school division and let them play themeselves,or allow everyone to recruit at an equal level.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

amen, my brother. much to dutch's shagrin.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I would like to see somebody who has a more time than I have do a real statistical analysis to see how POPULATION DENSITY and FREE LUNCH PERCENTAGE affect football success (winning percentage).

I suspect that in Division III and smaller, these factors have a VERY STRONG influence.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

The biggest winners in this proposal are the large, inner city schools that currently do not do well in terms of wins and losses; i.e. "program tradition".

If this passes, look for certain D1 and D2 schools from Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton etc that have lossing programs to suddenly become D3 and D4 and maybe D5 football schools.

This proposal is a "lose" situation for the small, rural schools of Ohio. Especially, SE Ohio.

Return to “Football”