River Valley Coach Resigns -- for real?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: River Valley Coach Resigns -- for real?

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Maybe some one should let Ty Johnson know that he is going to be the coach at RV first.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Maybe some one should let Ty Johnson know that he is going to be the coach at RV first.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Warpig wrote:Is this an accurate list of former RV coaches?

Jack James
Merril Tripplett
Larry Carter
Greg Deel
Jared McClelland
2-Were head coaches in previous jobs (one was hired because of tenure not qualifications,there were better coaches in the system who never got consideration, FIRST BIG MISTAKE of many BY THE BOARD AND AD)
1-Had a winning record.
The Rest:- all were assistants promoted to the head coaching position (always a gamble ask Notre Dame). There were prob some good football people in this group but not a good place to get your start.

Names of people I have heard who applied for the job:

Chuck Winters-- On last years Staff (never been a high school head football coach)
Brent Wilcoxen -- assistant coach at South Gallia last year. Originally from Ironton, was head coach at Fairland some time ago. (Any know how long he was at Fairland or his record there?
TC Beaver -- younger guy, has done some coaching, worked in Marshall's football office for a year or two.(never been a high school head coach)
Larry Jarrell-- not sure of his High School experience perhaps coaches at South Gallia in Sub Varsity positions.(never held a Varsity Head Coaching position)
Ty Johnson--Ty Johnson played at RV in the late 90s under Merril T and Larry Carter, I think he has been involved with the Lucasville-Valley and South Gallia programs since graduating.(once again never been a high school head football coach)

I believe that whom ever gets the position
1. needs to start with upgrading the weight program (for all sports we need someone qualified to teach lifting for explosion and endurance not just bench pressing).
2. need to start with fundamentals blocking tackling propper technique,game education (fundamentals mostly,this is high school not college or the NFL)
3. need to stay consistant with team rules and code of conducts.
4. get involved in the lower levels of the program JV,Jr High,even youth.

This position will prob be voted on in the March School Board Meeting,perhaps April depending on when the interviews are finished.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

gahs4ever wrote:Sadly, and for whatever reason or reasons, the RV football job is a black hole. Coaches enter never to be heard from again. It is not a position that would help you on your resume for subsequent jobs.

I dont pretend to know why this is so, and probably couldnt print it if I did. I just know some very good men and coaches have tried and not gotten the thing turned around, so I dont know who could.

North Gallia had a very strong program prior to consolidation, and Kyger Creek had a line of gold footballs that would choke a goat, so I'm left to wonder if talent (or the lack of it) is the primary reason.

I know there are people in the know who know what the problem is but they won't say anything publicly, which is probably a very good thing.

I wish the Raiders all the luck in the world. Their kids deserve it for simply perservering in the face of repeated losing seasons.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HIT THE PER-VERBAL NAIL ON THE HEAD !!

smartguy06
Freshman Team

Post by smartguy06 »

IMO, Brent Wilcoxen is a tremendous coach. After turning the program around at Fairland, he was ousted because one of the "inner circle" coaches wanted the position. I am not sure of his overall record, but he puts a hard-working, exciting team on the field. He possesses a lot of football knowledge and will establish a great rapport with all the players. RV cannot go wrong with this applicant!

kooniesback
Waterboy

Post by kooniesback »

smartguy06 wrote:IMO, Brent Wilcoxen is a tremendous coach. After turning the program around at Fairland, he was ousted because one of the "inner circle" coaches wanted the position. I am not sure of his overall record, but he puts a hard-working, exciting team on the field. He possesses a lot of football knowledge and will establish a great rapport with all the players. RV cannot go wrong with this applicant!

Hey Brent! Glad to see you on here.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Leave Brent alone. Your jest sore cuz they fired that RV Rutter........

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

kooniesback wrote:
smartguy06 wrote:IMO, Brent Wilcoxen is a tremendous coach. After turning the program around at Fairland, he was ousted because one of the "inner circle" coaches wanted the position. I am not sure of his overall record, but he puts a hard-working, exciting team on the field. He possesses a lot of football knowledge and will establish a great rapport with all the players. RV cannot go wrong with this applicant!

Hey Brent! Glad to see you on here.
I doubt that was Brent. How do I know? I think he would know how to spell Wilcoxon? (note "on", not "en" at the end of the name)

I do agree with smartguy06. Wilcoxon has a lot of football background, not just in the OVC with his two stints as head coach (one at Fairland and one at SP) but also his tenure's as assistant coach at Logan in the 80's, Richmond County, NC in the 90's, Huntington High and South Gallia recently. He can run any offense varying from a wide-open spread to a packed-in double wing where all 11 guys can line-up in a telephone booth. He's had success with both. I think he was at Fairland for 3 seasons and South Point for 2 as head coach and I know he won one outright OVC title at South Point. You won't find a harder worker than him and he will upgrade the weight room and attitude if hired.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN JUNKIE »

Wilcoxen is an excellent coach! I think he can be the one to really turn this program around. Hiring anyone else would be a mistake.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Wilcoxen is a very knowledgeable coach and would do a good job.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Yes, mtswngrvsg, but if that was all it took to be successful at RV, then the school wouldn't be looking for its sixth head coach in 20 seasons.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

KarlAgathon-yes you are correct.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Did we kill this topic?

Would be great to see all three programs in the play offs the same year sometime down the road!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Dead.

D-E-A-D.

Dead.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

KarlAgathon wrote:Yes, mtswngrvsg, but if that was all it took to be successful at RV, then the school wouldn't be looking for its sixth head coach in 20 seasons.
I think this statement is a little lopsided,considering they have played in a league that in one season 2004 put 4 teams in the playoffs out of 6.
The coaches that have been at River Valley have not been seasoned winners with the exception of one who left because the money was better. The rest have been experiments and economy hires by the board,the Ad had 0 knowledge of Boys High School sports for the last dozen years. The board doesn't care about sports at all. Grave Yard of Coaches???? Come on all of them were assistants and experiments,they were not exactly hired out from another school who was wanting them.

When and if ever they get a Coach who has been a head coach and is given time to get things in order,things will turn around.
It all takes time,they are athletes coming into the 9th grade next year 23 kids on the 8th grade basketball team and not just bodies,most are raw but this is what we have needed. Time will tell.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

I see where this has been posted on the OHSAA website. Any applicants yet?

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

what RV has football... don't tell the water boys momma...

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Rvbballdude wrote:
KarlAgathon wrote:Yes, mtswngrvsg, but if that was all it took to be successful at RV, then the school wouldn't be looking for its sixth head coach in 20 seasons.
I think this statement is a little lopsided,considering they have played in a league that in one season 2004 put 4 teams in the playoffs out of 6.
The coaches that have been at River Valley have not been seasoned winners with the exception of one who left because the money was better. The rest have been experiments and economy hires by the board,the Ad had 0 knowledge of Boys High School sports for the last dozen years. The board doesn't care about sports at all. Grave Yard of Coaches???? Come on all of them were assistants and experiments,they were not exactly hired out from another school who was wanting them.

When and if ever they get a Coach who has been a head coach and is given time to get things in order,things will turn around.
It all takes time,they are athletes coming into the 9th grade next year 23 kids on the 8th grade basketball team and not just bodies,most are raw but this is what we have needed. Time will tell.
Are you sure about that 4 of 6 teams in playoffs in 2004? I can't find that info.

Have you ever talked football with any of the previous head football coaches at RV? Just wondering. You might be surprised at their knowledge of the game. 3 of the 5 had some success as HEAD COACHES before going to RV. Two were assistants moving up to their first head coaching position. Since leaving RV one of those guys has been the head coach at Ironton and now Portsmouth West and another has had opportunities for assistant positions at two large schools in the area.

I don't understand your statement "When and if ever they get a Coach who has been a head coach", can you explain please?

Hope you're right about all those kids coming into the 9th grade next year. How many of them play football?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Raiderball-I am sure that a lot of people would be surprised at some of the offers some of the former coaches have turned down over the years for sure. But we will leave it at that because none of that is important.

I hope RV is able to get the program turned around. The new stadium and field house should help greatly. When I watched the RV at GA basketball game Saturday night the big thing that jumped out to me and the guy I was siting with was the lack of definition in the arms and legs of the young men from RV compared to the GA players.

RV will not move forward if people keep looking back! The past is just that the past and if mistakes were made they were made and now is a new opportunity for the program with new stadium and coach.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Raiderball-I am sure that a lot of people would be surprised at some of the offers some of the former coaches have turned down over the years for sure. But we will leave it at that because none of that is important.

I hope RV is able to get the program turned around. The new stadium and field house should help greatly. When I watched the RV at GA basketball game Saturday night the big thing that jumped out to me and the guy I was siting with was the lack of definition in the arms and legs of the young men from RV compared to the GA players.

RV will not move forward if people keep looking back! The past is just that the past and if mistakes were made they were made and now is a new opportunity for the program with new stadium and coach.
Great point!

Return to “Football”