OHSAA proposes spring ball

Westfan
SEOP

OHSAA proposes spring ball

Post by Westfan »

From Bucknuts.com

My great idea about spring football (ahem)…I pound a lot of drums (college football playoffs, SEC cheats, stupid high school transfer rules, etc) and amongst the beating and the bleating, one of the most logical of my sales pitches is to institute spring football so that we can a) catch up with the other major recruiting states b) give the kids more opportunities for schollies after high school and c) help Ohio State football! Usually my soapbox efforts are long-term – and quixotic – quests. So, when there is sudden movement on the spring football front, I wished I could have taken more credit on the most logical of these theses. But I really can’t.

Here is a surprising report from our reporters at JJ Huddle:

Attached is the EXACT letter that the OHSFCA sent to the OHSAA and membership describing what they wanted to do about spring football. At its January Board meeting, the OHSAA accepted the proposal and will vote on it in April. The basic proposal is this:

- The football coaches association made a proposal that would allow member school coaches to conduct non-mandatory individual skill development workouts with players during the last two weeks of May. The workouts would be a maximum of ten total hours and would include helmets but no pads. Athletes currently participating in an OHSAA spring sport would be required to complete their season before participating in these workouts. The Board will take action on the proposal at its April meeting.

I think it will pass.

If you want to see the actual report, http://bucknuts.com/images/mrbucknuts/ohsfca.htm.

madpolecat
All State

Re: OHSAA proposes spring ball

Post by madpolecat »

All this proposal does is legitimize events that already take place at a lot of schools in Ohio.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Could be a good thing.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Very interesting.

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

KarlAgathon wrote:All this proposal does is legitimize events that already take place at a lot of schools in Ohio.
That is true, but if the OHSAA can figure a way to make some money off of this it will surely pass.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

Ridiculous proposal. As if athletics isn't already out of perspective and overboard in this country. What's wrong with letting the kids head down to the corner lot and tossing the ball around on their own. Why do we have to contantly over-administrate every little thing. We wonder why we no longer have leaders, develop leadership, see individual initiative. Because we have taken those opportunities away from kids by putting control of their decisions into everyone else's hands. They expect someone else to make them do something, instead of choosing to do it on their own. A better move - eliminate all spring football everywhere and let's get everyone back on planet earth and grounded in reality. We have lost touch and sight of the real function of athletics within the educational system. "non-mandatory individual skill development workouts " - yeah, that's a good one - we all know what "non-mandatory" (wink wink) means...

Signed,
A current coach

(alvin
Waterboy

Post by (alvin »

JoeRoberts wrote:Ridiculous proposal. As if athletics isn't already out of perspective and overboard in this country. What's wrong with letting the kids head down to the corner lot and tossing the ball around on their own. Why do we have to contantly over-administrate every little thing. We wonder why we no longer have leaders, develop leadership, see individual initiative. Because we have taken those opportunities away from kids by putting control of their decisions into everyone else's hands. They expect someone else to make them do something, instead of choosing to do it on their own. A better move - eliminate all spring football everywhere and let's get everyone back on planet earth and grounded in reality. We have lost touch and sight of the real function of athletics within the educational system. "non-mandatory individual skill development workouts " - yeah, that's a good one - we all know what "non-mandatory" (wink wink) means...

Signed,
A current coach

When they start this at this school I quit. They already try to make us do stuff in the summers when we are suposed to be relaxing and enjoying ourselfs. I dont go in the summer and I wont go in the spring either I will jus quit playing.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Stupid rule. Will the football coaches care when baseball takes the last two weeks of OCtober to have individual instruction. Or how about basketball having individual workouts during football season. Dont give me this nonmandatory crap

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

JoeRoberts wrote:Ridiculous proposal. As if athletics isn't already out of perspective and overboard in this country. What's wrong with letting the kids head down to the corner lot and tossing the ball around on their own. Why do we have to contantly over-administrate every little thing. We wonder why we no longer have leaders, develop leadership, see individual initiative. Because we have taken those opportunities away from kids by putting control of their decisions into everyone else's hands. They expect someone else to make them do something, instead of choosing to do it on their own. A better move - eliminate all spring football everywhere and let's get everyone back on planet earth and grounded in reality. We have lost touch and sight of the real function of athletics within the educational system. "non-mandatory individual skill development workouts " - yeah, that's a good one - we all know what "non-mandatory" (wink wink) means...

Signed,
A current coach
Well said and I agree 100%.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

(alvin wrote: When they start this at this school I quit. They already try to make us do stuff in the summers when we are suposed to be relaxing and enjoying ourselfs. I dont go in the summer and I wont go in the spring either I will jus quit playing.
No offense but... With that attitude you will never amount to much. Winning requires sacrifice. If you are not willing to work in the summer, you are not going to win in the fall. If you want to enjoy your summer, then enjoy your fall in the stands.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

bengalfan76 wrote: Or how about basketball having individual workouts during football season.

They already do, they just call it open gym.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

schenk11 wrote:
bengalfan76 wrote: Or how about basketball having individual workouts during football season.

Open gyms are not required. I'm telling you this will destroy spring sports. You have a young kid who is fighting for a startin qb position. You know that kid will forgo spring sports

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

bengalfan76 wrote:
schenk11 wrote:

Open gyms are not required. I'm telling you this will destroy spring sports. You have a young kid who is fighting for a startin qb position. You know that kid will forgo spring sports
without a doubt.

RioProf
Riding the Bench

Post by RioProf »

I think this is a fantastic idea. Other states have been doing this for years like Florida and I don't think it has messed up their spring sports.

I believe most of the posters on here are from southeast ohio and I can understand why they wouldn't want this. But what KarlAgathon said it at least legitimizes this and let the coaches who run a clean program take advantage of this extra teaching time. If you are a coach and you don't want to do it then don't do it. But I believe the coaches who want to improve their program will and eventually will see the benefits. I'm not saying these two weeks are going to make a huge impact but every player I have talked to would love to play football in the spring.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

In Florida they start their spring sports in Feb. Their state tourney is over before spring football starts last two weeks of May. One question when do kids get to be kids? Weights and this "individual instruction" will destroy spring sports

3ydsnacldfdst
Waterboy

Post by 3ydsnacldfdst »

I think the ohsaa only cares about which sports bring in $$$$$$$, cater to those sports and get even more$$$$$$$$$

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

college and pros are the same way. which sport does most ppl watch?
NFL
NBA
MBL
NHL
TRACK & FIELD

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

datchillicav wrote:
(alvin wrote: When they start this at this school I quit. They already try to make us do stuff in the summers when we are suposed to be relaxing and enjoying ourselfs. I dont go in the summer and I wont go in the spring either I will jus quit playing.
No offense but... With that attitude you will never amount to much. Winning requires sacrifice. If you are not willing to work in the summer, you are not going to win in the fall. If you want to enjoy your summer, then enjoy your fall in the stands.

That is what I was thinking. If kids want to sit at home all summer and play Xbox and lay in the pool because it is "too hot", then just pay your $5 and fill a seat on Friday night.

Like Woody used to say, "anything easy aint worth a darn".

Too many kids nowadays dont want to put any effort into anything, but then wonder why they get nothing out of it.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

No, winning does not require sacrifice. It requires choices. There is a difference. Sacrifice is when you give up something you'd rather do for somethig you'd rather not do, because of someone else. Choice is when you decide to do something because you prefer it or the long term benefit to the alternative.

When you have people making "choices" in sports, versus calling them sacrifices, that's when you have something special and something that transcends sports. But when you have people makng sacrifices, doing something they'd really rather not do, then you're not serving anyone's best interests and you have a bunch of people being dictated and controlled, and not involve dbecause of a love of their endeavor.

When you tell someone thay have to make a sacrifice, then they auomatically start thinking "Gee, if it's a sacrifice, then that automatically means the alternative is better, if the alternative is better, then why am I here doing this...when I could be doing something better?"

When you tell someone they have the choice, and it is theirs, then you have someone who is more likely to be committed because they feel they have taken ownership of that decision and they are the one deciding which is the better alternative.

As for the stating the person who posted "...With that attitude you will never amount to much. Winning requires sacrifice. If you are not willing to work in the summer, you are not going to win in the fall. If you want to enjoy your summer, then enjoy your fall in the stands..." that's not accurate. That person may have different priorities. Maybe there summer is spent taking college classes or traveling and helping other people or missionary work. I would venture they would amount to much more than the person who spends all their time in the wt room or running pass routes or throwing a ball, etc. Maybe this place would be a whole lot better off for all of us is we spent less time in "non-mandatory" workouts and more time experiencing a balanced life.

Football, nor any sport, should be the end all, be all. We're putting way too much priority on "winning in the fall" on way too little on developing young students through the means of sport. This is a world gone crazy when we have communities fighting each other because of tax levies to build decent schools, and meanwhile, we're celebrating a bunch of professional athletes making enough money they could about every new school in this country with a little sacrifice..er uh, choice.

Signed,

A Current Coach

QBear
JV Team

Post by QBear »

This will never pass.
The proposal is for 10 hours in the last 2 weeks of May.
Helmets only.
The three head coaches in HS Football that I talked to are against it.
I not a football guy, but they should give them more days in pads before their first scrimmage.

Don't bring up the Florida or Texas situation. They start their spring sports in the middle of February because of their weather. Complete them by the beginning of May. Impossible to do that in Ohio.

Return to “Football”