Portsmouth West vs. Portsmouth

noles_fan
S

Re: Portsmouth West vs. Portsmouth

Post by noles_fan »

if West can keep Portsmouth between the tackles when they are on offense they should have no problem....outside contain is the key Portsmouth wont have time to set back and throw the ball all night

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I know you can't put alot of stock in scrimmage games, but the Minford/Portsmouth scrimmage made me believe that West should own the trenches. For the most part, West is platooning offense and defense and that is without possibly the best defensive lineman in the area, Conway Cooper. Without West making mistakes with penalities and turnovers, I just don't think Portsmouth can stop them. I think the defense will limit any run game of Portsmouth and make Jordan run for his life all night like they did Meyers last year.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Telling everyone if PHS plays this game the way they played the first half vs Wilmington it is a dog fight all night long. PHS defense is greatly improved by the kicking game of Zaide Whitely.
Same token if PHS plays the way we did in the 4th quarter against Wilmington it is over by the half.
I don’t care what anyone says I will be shocked if Wilmington does not win some games this year. They are better than people want to give them credit for, and by extension so is PHS. Is Wilmington better than West or even as good in my opinion no way, not even trying to say that, I haven’t seen Fairland so won’t say Wilmington is better than them either, but if I had to guess I would be picking the Hurricane.
Wilmington did not beat PHS, PHS beat PHS. Giving up 24 points in the 4th and in OT, all on short fields. The Trojans lost due to mental errors, lose of composure, and injuries. ( Johnnie Charles concussion was unavoidable, and I look forward to his return, Cody Stapleton, Jacob Albrecht, and Brandon Weederbrook all played well in relief) The cramping on a cool night like that should not be happening; proper hydration , diet, and conditioning should and would prevent this in most cases.

The key to the game with West is to just not lose composure and get down on ourselves if they get up, or things don’t go our way. I know West has some really good athletes but I honestly think the Trojans have an edge in the skilled guys, West line has the edge, PHS special teams is better in my opinion minus of course the lack of blocking on FGs and PATs which could be huge. Zaide’s kickoffs will be huge, I also feel very good in our punt returns (if we get stops) and kickoff returns. I would then give the edge on D to West, although I expect our D to do better than most do to good field position provided by our special teams. That puts it at and even 2-2 on what I consider to be the keys to the game. Then it comes down to mental mistakes, and turnovers. If PHS does like they did at the end of the Wilmington game West will roll, if they can avoid those mistakes and mental let downs like I said I think it’s a dog fight.
GO TROJANS

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

Portsmouth is unpredictable they can put up points in a hurry they had a bad record last year but they scared some teams. Portsmouth looked fast too. Maybe not as skilled as west. Fairland isn't a good ruler to measure success this is a rivalry game.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

West wins!

SOC!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Kicking game - If Auger is on the field, kickoffs are a wash. He almost made a field goal with a kickoff last week. Morgan kicked the PAT's and made them all.

Two years ago Portsmouth came out fired up. West was young and seemed timid at the start with the big crowd and the atmosphere. Portsmouth will be fired up again at home. They practice on that field. West rairly plays on turf. West needs to stem the tied of emotions at first and stay in the game. I would say Portsmouth will blitz alot and try for the big plays because they will struggle stopping West playing read. Would like to see West line up with short splitz and go right at them.

Portsmouth will move the ball and will score some points. But it's hard to sustain drives without running the ball. Their passes will have to be quick timing routes. They will not be able to protect him long enough to get the ball long down the field. West has 2 big experienced safeties. One of them, Bricker, will lay the wood if he can. Auger is a corner for West. If he's out thats a big loss.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this should be a great game.to bad it's on a friday.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET R DONE TROJANS.

CoolPiketonDude
Waterboy

Post by CoolPiketonDude »

Its gonna be a good game

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think this game will be the first measuring stick to see how West will do in the SOC II this year. I think West will win, but it could be alot closer than some people think. If Portsmouth can put together a running game to mix in with their passing game, look out.

Portsmouth's line will be tested as will the West secondary.

Portsmouth is coming off a heart breaker and West coming off a snoozer. If Portsmouth can score early and get a few stops and turnovers I can see them closing the deal.

But I think West will win by 2 TD's if both teams play mistake free ball.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Usually alot of trash talking for this game. Not much this year. Where's Prince Trojan when you need him?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Is Auger playing? Not trying to start a rumor only asking. I agree if he kicks that well, it makes kickoffs a wash, I think PHS has very good returners though that I believe still gives the special teams edge to the Trojans. This of course is only true if the Trojans can get defensive stops.
Will the Trojans be able to shut down West offense? NO I see no way that happens, although I believe we can slow it down, and force them to punt to us some. Can West shut down PHS offense? NO I don’t believe so if they play like they can. At this point it is a wash, and maybe PHS hits a punt return for that big special teams play. As I think we have the better overall return game.
Baring the Trojans beating themselves I think this is a dog fight all night long that either team could come out on top of.
Got to say I don’t miss prince, and all of his garbage. He just makes PHS and all of southeast Ohio look bad with his nonsense.

DIDO
Freshman Team

Post by DIDO »

if Ports. does loose it will be that they got beat by a better team, not that they beat themselves. Auger and starting fullback Justin Crace neither will be allowed to play
tomorrow and heard another starter is out due to BTY.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

DIDO wrote:if Ports. does loose it will be that they got beat by a better team, not that they beat themselves. Auger and starting fullback Justin Crace neither will be allowed to play
Nobody said if PHS loses it's not because West is better, I said if PHS doesn't beat themselves its a dog fight. PHS could play a good game i.e. not beat themselves, and still lose the game. Just saying if PHS plays up to their ability it is a good game.

Without Auger, the special teams swings to PHS more in my opinion. What kind of kickoffs can we expect in his absence? How deep?

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

Post by D_Journey9 »

siderman wrote:As Fairland found out, Portsmouth has alot more to defend than just the power running game. This is the best passing team West has had since 1990. Speed all-over and a very good QB teamed with a line capable of protecting him. Fairland tried 10 in the box to start the game and West made them come out of that real quick.
Im a west fan and i was at the game friday....yea west won big but didnt look sharp....they have quite a few things to work out on Offense...and Fairland is a weak team....If west wants a perfect season they better start executing better....like not throwing blind passes like Levi did on his interception last week...look at where you are throwing and not worry bout the rush...trust your line...he dont start doin that... it will be deja vu for him...flashbacks from Highland game last year will pop up

fan4sure
Freshman Team

Post by fan4sure »

what is BTY, why isnt crace playing? is Cooper starting on D?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

DIDO wrote:if Ports. does loose it will be that they got beat by a better team, not that they beat themselves. Auger and starting fullback Justin Crace neither will be allowed to play
Where are u getting ur information from i havent heard anything like that.....dont believe every rumor u hear the only way u will know for sure is to be at the game on Friday night!!!!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I don't talk about who's playing and who's not. Keep every advantage possible and make them prepare for them. But let's just say as of an hour ago alot posted isn't true. We're in good shape for tomorrow.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

siderman wrote:I don't talk about who's playing and who's not. Keep every advantage possible and make them prepare for them. But let's just say as of an hour ago alot posted isn't true. We're in good shape for tomorrow.
I agree I think its alot of wishful thinking

DIDO
Freshman Team

Post by DIDO »

It's not about being truthful or not, it helps to keep your enemy out of the know, and out of the
psychological game. I know some posters get on here and tell everything West is doing........umm...
that does'nt help.

Return to “Football”