Ohio Schools Vote 'No' On Playoff Reform

86Tiger
JV Team

Re: Ohio Schools Vote 'No' On Playoff Reform

Post by 86Tiger »

How do you get that it is easier for kids to transfer to a from one public school to another. It seems to be easier to go from non-public to a public. It seems that all they have to do is prove that it is something the family can't afford anymore or some such hardship. Public to non-public is most definitly not as stringent as public to public.

Whatever the case, I do not believe that any of this constitues religious discrimination or intolerance. One has nothing to do with the other. Just because the majority of private schools are religious based does not mean they all are. This has to do with numbers of gifted athletes being at one school be it, public or private christian or not, just to increase their chances of winning. And your Muslim comment is going just a bit too far.

induct chuck
Riding the Bench

Post by induct chuck »

Well, with public to nonpublic, you no longer have to worry about geographical boundaries, but with public to public or nonpublic to public, the student may transfer once (without losing eligibility) to the school in the district of his parent residence, regardless of where he or she was previously schooled. I actually found the form online and it just asks where you went and where you're moving to. When transferring to a nonpublic school, unless the student establishes a new residence, changes custody, etc. he or she still has to sit out a year.

I don't really think the OHSAA has set out to bring down Christian or religious based schools, but really their intent isn't relevant. If a certain group is being singled out and penalized for whatever reason, even in the name of fairness, it is discrimination. I agree that this is all about certain schools having better athletes than others. However, I think that good schools for the most part attract good players by success and tradition, which can not and should not be penalized. Others use less honorable means, and those are the ones the OHSAA should be concerned about. I realize that my Muslim comment was extreme, but certainly one can see the parallels between the two cases, that being a large group being penalized and negatively viewed for the actions of few.

I think we might have to agree to disagree, Tiger. But you brought up some very valid points, and I certainly respect that! I hope you can see where I'm coming from as well.

educamatters
Waterboy

Post by educamatters »

I feel something truly needs to be done. However, I don't feel this was a very good proposal that was out there for the first attempt at all. Too complicated to figure. Something needs to be set that is straight forward and based on facts or numbers.

Return to “Football”