WEEK 1 HAMILTON TOWNSHIP@CHILLICOTHE

buckcraze
JV Team

Re: WEEK 1 HAMILTON TOWNSHIP@CHILLICOTHE

Post by buckcraze »

Hopsing wrote:Grades for the game

Officiating crew D Safety not called a safety. Taking minutes to put the next ball in play. NOT a good crew.

HT offense C- Offense with too many turnovers and penalties BUT did score 2 TDs with nice passes. Also didnt convert 2 point conversions

HT Defense B+ In my opinion the unheralded star of the game. Just plain waxed Chillicothes offense in 2nd half and played decently in 1st half

HT Special teams A- Made FG and extra points Blocked a punt for what should have been a safety Returned 2 punts for TDs AND KO team pinned Chillicothe deep every time

HT coaching B- play calling a bit questionable early and shot gun almost killed them 2nd half entirely different attitude or adjustments at halftime really paid off

Chillicothe offense D- Just poor no passing game running backs tip toeing Oline no blocking without HT mistakes would have been lucky to get 10 points

Chillicothe defense C tale of 2 halves tackled well but let multiple receivers get behind them seemed tired at end of game because offense couldnt keep them off field

Chillicothe Special teams D- ONLY reason not an F would be the FG made and decent KO returns KO return team coulnt get ball to 20 PAT misses and really no reason to discuss the punt team whoever runs this group should be fired

Chillicothe coaching D While up 3 scores continued to throw ball incomplete thus stopping the clock allowing HT to have last minute. Burned last timeout when too many players on field during last drive. According to radio announcers directed QB to spike ball on 4th down with 14 seconds left
Analysis F
Coaching-Chilly only threw the ball 11 times the whole game 4 incompletions were flat drops, Chilly's def statrted on their side of the 50 the whole second half and still stopped HT forcing them to score on two punt returns for a touchdown, Chilly's offense produced a 100 yard back(BEARD 18 carries for 103 and a touchdown), special teams did give up 2 touchdowns-a blocked punt-and missed a PAT, but Chilly's kicker also hit a 45 yd fieldgoal as time ran out to end the first half in his first attempt as a varsity kicker. And though it seemed outrageous at the time, the officials made the correct call on the blocked punt, it is an obscure rule but a rule non the less. Chilly did things right in the first half and began making mistakes from the 1st drive of the second half. Lost the point of attack and due to youth, could not figure out how to regain the momentum. I saw many high quality things from our boys Friday night. Tough loss, but a learning experience. STAY STRONG BOYS AND KEEP WORKING!!! GOOD THINGS ARE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FOR YOU!!! LET'S GO CAVS! LET'S GO CAVS! LET'S GO CAVS! :lol: By the way I give our Cavs a C.

green-n-gold76
Waterboy

Post by green-n-gold76 »

And though it seemed outrageous at the time, the officials made the correct call on the blocked punt, it is an obscure rule but a rule non the less.

Are you sure?
http://yfrog.com/ht660z

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

green-n-gold76 wrote:
And though it seemed outrageous at the time, the officials made the correct call on the blocked punt, it is an obscure rule but a rule non the less.

Are you sure?
The ruling that the ref made was: "if a defensive player purposely bats a ball out of the back of the endzone, it is a touchback. If an offensive player purposely bats the ball out of the endzone, it is a safety." The ref ruled, in his opinion, the defensive player purposely batted the ball out of the back of the endzone. Now, it is a judgement call, and there is definitely some question about the "judgement" on this particular play, but according to the rule book the touchback call was correct based on the ref's judgement-good or bad.

By the way, I had not mentioned anything about HT from Friday night--Great job not giving up after the first half! This team has a quaulity front on both sides of the ball and some excellent athletes. Eliminate the mistakes and HT should make some noise this year. Good Luck HT!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

????Why would a defensive player purposely bat a ball out and not try to fall on it????

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET R DONE CAVS

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

noreply66 wrote:????Why would a defensive player purposely bat a ball out and not try to fall on it????
I guaruntee 80% of the coaches in Ohio do not know this obscure rule, how would a teenage boy know this obscure rule. Balls get batted around sometimes in the scramble for the ball-this particular case-not so much- but that was the ref's judgement.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

buckcraze wrote:
green-n-gold76 wrote:

Are you sure?
The ruling that the ref made was: "if a defensive player purposely bats a ball out of the back of the endzone, it is a touchback. If an offensive player purposely bats the ball out of the endzone, it is a safety." The ref ruled, in his opinion, the defensive player purposely batted the ball out of the back of the endzone. Now, it is a judgement call, and there is definitely some question about the "judgement" on this particular play, but according to the rule book the touchback call was correct based on the ref's judgement-good or bad.

By the way, I had not mentioned anything about HT from Friday night--Great job not giving up after the first half! This team has a quaulity front on both sides of the ball and some excellent athletes. Eliminate the mistakes and HT should make some noise this year. Good Luck HT!
After watching the video, there is no way that the defender batted it out of the endzone intentionally. He blocked it, the ball bounded off his lower extremities and went out of the end zone. There was no intent to bat the ball other than the original block and that does not constitute changing the original force to give a touchback. The defender did attempt to recover the kick but that had nothing with it going out of the end zone. The kick bounding off the defender caused the kick to go out of the end zone therefore a safety.

green-n-gold76
Waterboy

Post by green-n-gold76 »

The call was clearly a mistake.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

That's what happens when you high school officials to make a "judgement" call. The ruling was not a mistake, it was the correct ruling, the "judgement" may be faulty but the ruling was correct according to the rule book. Why are we still debating this ant way? HT won the game, and it is now week two. Move on!

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

buckcraze wrote:That's what happens when you high school officials to make a "judgement" call. The ruling was not a mistake, it was the correct ruling, the "judgement" may be faulty but the ruling was correct according to the rule book. Why are we still debating this ant way? HT won the game, and it is now week two. Move on!
Not so fast my friend. It was not a judgement call. A judgement call would be catch, no catch or pass interference. This is a clear misapplication of the rules.

BTW, buckcraze, how long you had your referee license anyway?

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

Vision Quest wrote:
buckcraze wrote:That's what happens when you high school officials to make a "judgement" call. The ruling was not a mistake, it was the correct ruling, the "judgement" may be faulty but the ruling was correct according to the rule book. Why are we still debating this ant way? HT won the game, and it is now week two. Move on!
Not so fast my friend. It was not a judgement call. A judgement call would be catch, no catch or pass interference. This is a clear misapplication of the rules.

BTW, buckcraze, how long you had your referee license anyway?
It is neccesary to get personal huh? Get a life! The ref believed the ball was intentionally batted!! That is why he then applied the obscure rule!! I happen to know the ref!! I told him I did not agree with his judgement, but he is the ref, he made the judgement, he then properly applied the rule. I will repeat, HT WON THE GAME, GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON!!

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I'm not going to disagree with Buck, however, if this is indeed a rule, it needs to change. It makes absolutely ZERO sense. All it does is PUNISH the defense for making a good and aggressive play.

The punt is blocked in the endzone. The punter (or any offensive player) has a right to intentionally knock the ball out of the endzone for a safety.

The defense can fall on the ball IN the end zone for 6. So why would they "intentionally" knock it out? And if they do, why do they not have the right to do so. They are only costing themselves points if they don't fall on it.

To give the ball to the offense, 1st and 10 from their 20 is ASSININE.

The only way I could understand it is if "intentionally" knocking the ball out of bounds was deemed a "personal foul" on the defense and then it looks like it should be 15 yards from the previous spot and if the yardage gave the offense a first down, then so be it. But no flags were ever thrown.

Even if it was done this way, that is still ASSININE because you are punishing the defense for a great play.

Hope someone in the powers that be with OHSAA changes this.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

I agree that the rule is pretty assinine. I agree that it should be changed. Since it is such an obscure rule in high school, that most coaches do not know anything about-let alone players, I wonder if this crazy rule exists at any higher levels of football and us fans did not know it either? :122248

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

buckcraze wrote:I agree that the rule is pretty assinine. I agree that it should be changed. Since it is such an obscure rule in high school, that most coaches do not know anything about-let alone players, I wonder if this crazy rule exists at any higher levels of football and us fans did not know it either? :122248
The batting rule is not obscure, it is a rule like any other rule. The referee blew this one, a flat-out misapplication of the rules. Sorry if you know him, but your friend made an error. If the referee called batting, why didn't he throw a flag because if batting was being called it is a foul and after watching there is no flag.

I don't drop it because I'm correct. Years and years of experience.

green-n-gold76
Waterboy

Post by green-n-gold76 »

I realize the game is over..it's still interesting to discuss this.

I talked to someone who was on the field and he said that the official claimed that the Hamilton player changed the momentum of the ball by blocking the kick. Duh. Had the momentum not been changed the ball would have went down field.

Also...other officials have looked at this video and said that the official made a mistake...and "it happens".

Hopsing
Riding the Bench

Post by Hopsing »

:mrgreen: IF you have watched the replay of the game on Horizonview this week you will notice that the crew met not once, not twice, but 3 times WITH THEIR RULE BOOKS OUT in a group while delaying the game ( in the event of the blocked punt for 4 and 1/2 minutes ) while they discussed the rules. The TV shows them huddled and talking to each other for a good minute during the discussion on the blocked punt. Replay CLEARLY shows ball kicked, striking the defensive player in the thigh, and then rebounding directly out of bounds. Unless a defensive player clearly throws, bats, ot kicks the ball out of the back of the end zone I wonder how this ruling was delivered. And I have to imagine the Chillicothe coaches had no idea this ruling would result as they had their kick off team on the field for the majority of the delay. As I stated before, this crew did a terrible job. And while getting the rule book out occasionally to clarify an interpretation is the correct thing to do, doing it 3 times during 1 game creates the impression that this crew does not know the rules.
Back to the game ( which indeed is over ) .... Watching the replay I think both defenses did an overall nice job and both offenses were pretty ineffective. HT especially in the shotgun and Chillicothe in the 2nd half. The difference that won the game...SPECIAL TEAMS. And I would still give the edge in coaching ( although barely ) to HT as they must have done a heckuva sales job at halftime to get their kids to beleive they could still win after all of their mistakes in the 1st half.

Good Luck Cavs....still a whole lotta football to play this season.

Return to “Football”