Point Pleasant(WV) heading to the State Finals against Wayne

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Re: Point Pleasant(WV) heading to the State Finals against W

Post by Pioneer_PA »

Wayne and Ironton scrimmaged in 2005 at Tanks Memorial Stadium. Wayne was up 20-0 after three quarters, and the JV won it's two quarters, 19-18.

That Wayne team lost in the WV semifinals.

Ironton informed Wayne two weeks before the scheduled return scrimmage at Wayne in 2006 that they would not be there. Wayne only had one scrimmage that year because of that, and it ended any relationship between the two schools.

Wayne lost 14-8 at Chesapeake in Week 2. After the Week 6 game, Wayne adjusted its personnel for the rest of the season and was never threatened beyond halftime. Wayne outscored its last six opponents, 222-13...in the first half only of those games. The Pioneers were lights out from that point forward. The FB moved to TE, and different kids were moved to FB and WB, as well as the OLine being shuffled. Wayne became a much better blocking team from that point forward.

The Panthers had a great team this year, but Wayne was a completely different team later in the year, and a rematch would have been interesting. Chesapeake had the most skilled big linemen Wayne played all year.

And for the record, Chesapeake canceled the JV game at Wayne the day before they were scheduled to come over. Not sure what the rationale was behind that was.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

You take the winner of the SOC II to WV, and they make a very deep playoff run more often than not. And there would be some titles sprinkled in there. Take it to the bank.

Almost every school in Southern Ohio would be Sinlge-A (less than 337 enrollment) in WV. Point Pleasant is AA and would be DI in Ohio (608 enrollment). They wouldn't even make past the first round of the playoffs in DI, DII, or DII. Not knocking them or WV football, it is what it is.

peake450
Freshman Team

Post by peake450 »

Great win by the Pioneers, Tom Harmon runs a classy program and they challenge every year. I will take a peake win any year against this club.

XxBUCKEYESxX
Waterboy

Post by XxBUCKEYESxX »

Ontheriver wrote:Larusso, Chesapeake or South Point it's all the same.

The Statement from "gouk" was Chesapeake wins State title in WV because they beat Wayne.

My message was Chesapeake wins no title because Wayne was one of the most Improved teams in the area.

Point also beat Wayne early in the season by 2 pts. 16 - 14

Chesapeake also beat Wayne early in the season by 6 pts. 14 - 8

So a much Improved Wayne Team beat Point in the Final 34 - 7.

So why wouldnt Wayne have beat Chesapeake 34 - 13 in the Final theory game.

I just get sick of hearing about how Superior and how good Southern Ohio Football is. Southern Ohio Football is actually a dead end , becuase you play the game to win a championship. And I dont see any state titles on the horizon for the Southern Ohio teams.

The FACT of the matter is Southern Ohio Football cant win a West Virginia State title and they cant win a Ohio State title so they jump on here and puff out there chest about how Superior Southern Ohio Football is by knocking WV Ball.

So my questions is why does Southern Ohio football keep playing these WV & Kentucky teams if there so much better. Why not play some tough teams from Northern Ohio.
Chesapeake would have contended for the AA state title in WV this year and I wouldn't compare Peake to South Point the last three years bc Peake would have played with if not beat Point Pleasant each of these years. On another note congrats to the Wayne Pioneers on a great season.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

A lot of misinformation on this thread...

Point Pleasant did not play Chesapeake. They have played South Point and Vinton County the last 2-3 years.

Ohio and West Virginia counting for classification is different also.

I believe we all know in Ohio boys and girls are counted seperately therefore you could have teams from the same school participating in different divisions. Ex: the same school could have their boys basketball competing in DIII tournament but the girls could be DII.
West Virginia counts both boys and girls to determine their classification. Point Pleasants 608 is a total count of boys and girls.

This years Chesapeake team more than likely would have made a deep playoff run. Maybe Nelsonville and Portsmouth West would have also (not sure of PW enrollment numbers).
Jackson and probably Athens would have both been playing in AAA.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

This is an ohio website. And the two teams that you get confused on boarder wv. South point is maybe the worst div 4 team in the state of ohio(the whole state!!!!!) SP has 192 boys from grades 9-11. and of couse point pleasant is going to beat a horrible team.

FatCharlie
Riding the Bench

Post by FatCharlie »

I'm glad that Point got that far. Congrats to them.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

apples to oranges. NFL to NCAA. Ohio to WV. Point nor wahama would win 1 game in ohio playoffs.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

G.W.A. wrote:apples to oranges. NFL to NCAA. Ohio to WV. Point nor wahama would win 1 game in ohio playoffs.
At least I know where we stand if we decide to compete in the Ohio state playoffs as a team from West Virginia.

FatCharlie
Riding the Bench

Post by FatCharlie »

gobigblacks wrote:
G.W.A. wrote:apples to oranges. NFL to NCAA. Ohio to WV. Point nor wahama would win 1 game in ohio playoffs.
At least I know where we stand if we decide to compete in the Ohio state playoffs as a team from West Virginia.
:lol: I did hear that you guys may have some struggles with the switch to AAA

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

Maybe we will, who knows. It will be hard considering our school got smaller but we still went up a class.

Win lose or draw, I'll still be there rooting on our kids.

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Point Pleasant looks to be good in several sports for years to come in my opinion.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

We will have a good team next year. maybe not state finals team but good i promise!

Return to “Football”