Chillicothe get's an old fashion Harry Carey "Holy Cow!"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Chillicothe get's an old fashion Harry Carey "Holy Cow!"

Post by Orange and Brown »

datchillicav wrote:no offense to West either, by SEO, small school standards they are pretty good. They will probably beat Chilli next year also. I'm just saying, by Chillicothe scheduling standards, they are one of the worst teams we've scheduled in as long as I can remember.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone needs to get a clue!

Pretty sure I can name a few programs who aren't very good at all that Chilli has scheduled.......

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Orange and Brown wrote:
datchillicav wrote:no offense to West either, by SEO, small school standards they are pretty good. They will probably beat Chilli next year also. I'm just saying, by Chillicothe scheduling standards, they are one of the worst teams we've scheduled in as long as I can remember.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure I can name a few programs who aren't very good at all that Chilli has scheduled.......

Quick...Someone name 5 PROGRAMS worse than West that Chillicothe has played out of conference in the last 5 years. There may have been a few teams that were worse in a given year, but program wise, any team that appears on Chilli's schedule has either been a consistent winner or 2 to 3 times larger than West and in the OCC. Hillsboro is the lone exception as I can remember. Perhaps I'm forgetting some but I can't think of any. Cincinnati Aiken in 2005 would be one candidate but despite that team's record, they had more talent than almost anyone in SEO.

And again, this is not a shot at West. As I have said, they should be favored over Chilli in my opinion. The program is WAY down compared to recent years as enrollment has slipped and participation has dropped to all time lows, but if you ask me whether I would feel like I have a better chance of winning playing West as opposed to Sheridan, Brookhaven, Big Walnut, or any number of teams that were on the Cavs' schedule in the last 2, 3, years I would say yes. Sorry if you guys are impressed by a team being fairly good in the SOC2 and I am not.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

buckcraze wrote: The point you are missing is to continue to schedule three to five losses before you get into the league is not the way to improve a program that has a loser, blame the coaches mentality. If you read the previuos posts you will see that all this "scheduling up" has brought Chilli is a whole bunch of losses, a mentality that keeps some athletes from playing football because the mental and physical commitment is deemed not worth it, and a loser mentality amongst the players, parents, and fans. And what has this "scheduling up" gained?- five playoff appearences in school history?- one playoff win in school history? The kids, the coaches, the community, the program as a whole need to be able to build some confidence and momentum if they are ever going to build anything substantial as far as a football program is concerned. Your assessment of the schedule is a little skewed as well- HT-average?- we have lost three out of the last four against them-P-West will probably be a playoff team this year-Looking in the mirror-we are not a school of 1200 kids anymore! The high school has just a over 800 kids in it now! Stop thinking that Chilli has all this DI talent spilling out everywhere! We do not! Chilli has to learn how to win before it can move on with program building. This schedule is not conducive to learning how to win. That is what the big deal is.
I agree with you that scheduling up has not produced the results many are looking for. To an extent I also agree that there need to be some "easier" games on the schedule to get the kids used to winning. That is not what I am arguing however. I am not in charge and it is not my job to decide who Chilli plays. I simply am arguing that by recent historical perspectives, this schedule is not out of the ordinary. What is the right and wrong way to schedule is not what I am arguing.

Hamilton Township IS average. AT BEST. In 2008 they went 5-5. In 2009 they went 0-10. They went 8-2 in 2010 and played exactly 2 teams with a winning record, beating one, a D4 team, and they failed to make the playoffs. They went 5-5 last year.

As far as kids and parents with a blame the coaches attitude when they lose... That is a cultural problem that has LONG hampered every Chillicothe sports program. I noticed it for myself at a very young age(probably as young as Pee-Wee) and it disgusts me. If you as a parent blame the coaches for your child's and his peers's failures, then shame on you. That is the root cause of most of the problems in America today...A blame someone else attitude. Anyway, what I am trying to get at is that if the kids, parents, coaches, and program as a whole, cannot stand up mentally to a few losses, then we do not deserve to win. Maybe we should look in the mirror and instead of being fearful of competition because our enrollment is down like some people suggest, we should pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and put the work in to beat the teams we SHOULD beat. Our talent level has been WAY down for 3 years now. Our enrollment was dropping WAY before that. I attribute the dropoof in talent partially to the ebs and flows of that sort of thing but mostly to a generation of parents who have taught their kids tat if they are not the best and do not win when they start playing in Pee-Wee that they can quit before they get to high school because it's the easier thing to do than to work hard and get better.

I know what a tough schedule can do. I played on the last OCC team and the first SEOAL team. We played our fair share of very good teams. Our enrollment, and numbers were not much larger than they are now. We took some lumps and we had some big wins. One thing I will remember though, despite a couple of losses to lesser caliber teams that can be attributed to any number of things, is the fact that when we began playing teams from smaller southern Ohio schools it was almost easy from a physical talent standpoint because we had been playing such stiffer competition. We played a hard schedule and were BETTER because of it.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Orange and Brown wrote:

I took the time to look up Chillicothe's recent schedules out of conference. Please tell me how many programs here are worse than West.

Hamilton Township. D2 5-5
Big Nut D2 9-3
Ironton D4 7-5
Athens D2 10-1
Hillsboro D3 2-8

Same 4 schools
HT D2 8-2
Big Nut D2 10-3
Iron D4 10-3
Athens D2 5-5

HT D2 0-10
Big Nut D2 6-4
Wilmington D2 7-4

Brookhaven D1 9-2
Big Nut D3 11-3
Sheridan D3 11-1

Brookhaven D1 9-2
Logan D2 9-2
Big Walnut D3 14-1 - State Champs

Brookhaven D1 6-4
Logan D1 8-3
Big Nut D3 10-3

Brookhaven D1 9-2
Logan D1 8-2
Portsmouth D4 2-8 - rivalry game
Cincinnati Aiken D2 3-7
Gallia Academy D3 8-3
the OCC schedule consisting of 4 winning teams and 1 losing team. 2 D1's. 3 D2's.

So since, 2005, the Cavs have played a D4 school out of conference twice. Both times being Ironton. They have never played a D5 school in their history to my knowledge. They have played exactly 4 teams with a losing record out of conference in the last 7 years. Now I know that West will not finish with a losing record but they are certainly not playing the caliber of schools that all of those teams, with the exception of Hillsboro, were playing. Anyone care to argue otherwise be my guest, but I have put the facts our there regarding where West stands, so please get off my back about it.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

You wrote "scheduled" not program. But I see now that your not right, so try to be a smarte$$ all you want but the facts are.....nevermind...It ain't worth it.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

No need to get into a pissing contest, but Aiken, Gallia, HT, Wilmy, Athens, Portsmouth, and Logan as of late (05- 07 Logan were much better, 08 would have been a barnburner) have either not had as much success or have lost to West in some way shape or form (Gallia in a scrimmage and Portsmouth in games). Since 2005 West is 50-25 with 3 playoff appearances, an undefeated season, 2 playoff wins, and a league title in the most competitive league in our area. I'm not saying that West is as good as brookhaven, desales, or big walnut, but I would definitely put West into the middle or upper level of Chillicothe's scheduling

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

I agree with Datchillicav, what is amazing is how far down Chillicothe football is. Before they came into the SEOAL, Chillicothe was a team that no one in southern ohio wanted anything to do with. They were the Chillicothe Cavaliers !!!! Now they are the doormat of the SEOAL. Wow............ :122246 :122246 :122246

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Blackjack wrote:I agree with Datchillicav, what is amazing is how far down Chillicothe football is. Before they came into the SEOAL, Chillicothe was a team that no one in southern ohio wanted anything to do with. They were the Chillicothe Cavaliers !!!! Now they are the doormat of the SEOAL. Wow............ :122246 :122246 :122246
Exactly. That's the only point I was trying to make. West IS good. They are one of the better programs in SEO. MUCH better than Chillicothe is currently. What I was trying to state was that, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and 2 years ago, they would have wanted nothing of this matchup and neither would Chillicothe. I know from a reliable source that Chillicothe tried to schedule Sciotoville East to play in football this year. That is a joke and speaks to where the program has fallen to in recent years and it has nothing to do with enrollment either. No D2 school should EVER play a D6 school unless they are the 8 time defending state champions.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

datchillicav wrote:
Blackjack wrote:I agree with Datchillicav, what is amazing is how far down Chillicothe football is. Before they came into the SEOAL, Chillicothe was a team that no one in southern ohio wanted anything to do with. They were the Chillicothe Cavaliers !!!! Now they are the doormat of the SEOAL. Wow............ :122246 :122246 :122246
Exactly. That's the only point I was trying to make. West IS good. They are one of the better programs in SEO. MUCH better than Chillicothe is currently. What I was trying to state was that, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and 2 years ago, they would have wanted nothing of this matchup and neither would Chillicothe. I know from a reliable source that Chillicothe tried to schedule Sciotoville East to play in football this year. That is a joke and speaks to where the program has fallen to in recent years and it has nothing to do with enrollment either. No D2 school should EVER play a D6 school unless they are the 8 time defending state champions.
First of all "dat", you are totally and completely entitled to your opinion. Sometimes opinion does not always follow facts though. The scheduling issue that you complain about concerning the smaller schools was actually out of neccessity. The SEOAL being a league that only plays five league games now puts schools in a very precarious situation when scheduling week four and week five non-league games. Most leagues in the state of Ohio do everything they can to have eight members or more. This leaves most schools only needing to schedule non-league games weeks one through three. That leaves very few options for teams that need to schedule weeks four and five non-league. There is always a small list on the OHSAA web site to schedule those weeks. Chilli also attempted to schedule two DI teams from Toledo, a AAA school from Kentucky (our DI equivalent) and a DIII school out of Cincinnati. The scheduling , or the attempts to schedule the smaller schools was somewhat out of neccessity. I agree, the difference in size between a small DII/big DIII (Chilli) and a DVI school is not ideal, and by the way it did not come to fruition, but may have been neccessary to fill out the schedule. I have been around Chillicothe football since the early 70's, I fully experienced the days of the OCC, I have been associated with people who have been around Chilli football since the 50's and 60's. Chillicothe has never been a consistently winning football program. You may have enjoyed a certain amount of success during you short period of time playing for Chilli, but that is all Chilli has ever had- short bursts of mild succes! Stop acting like this is a program that has fallen from the highest of heights to becoming cellar dwellers and is a world ending event in Chillicothe.

The scheduling that you listed I accounted for twenty non-league losses (I did guess on a few because I could not remember for sure please forgive me more being wrong on a few + or - three margin for error). I still ask what has that accomplished? I still contend that it has been a major factor in never BUILDING A PROGRAM that can sustain winning over long periods of time. A human being, in order to become a winner, must learn how to win first. The difficult scheduling, in my opinion has not allowed this to happen. Look at the standard in college football: play one tough team in the non-league, maybe a second that is a mild challenge but still a win, then the rest are cupcakes. Win, learn to win, win a lot, build momentum and confidence, and then win more often because you have the experience of winning. Winning teaches winning, losing teaches losing. Coach Hinton was hired to attempt to do what no one has ever done at CHS, build a program that sustains winning. The kids need to learn how to win first, the parents and community need to learn how to handle themselves in order to stay out of the coaches way to teach winning first, and this will never happen if you continually schedule three to five non-league losses per year.
Last edited by buckcraze on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

First of all Chilli is not the doormat of the SEOAL, one last place finish in our short history in the league. Second of all Chilli has never been a winning football program! As I stated in my previous post, short burtsts of mild success is all Chilli has ever had! Five playoff appearences in school history, very few league titles in school history, one playoff win in school history. Saying that you can not believe how far Cavalier Football has fallen is a lack of understanding of the fact that the program really has had no where to fall. This has never been a high quality football program. Coach Hinton was hired to change that. Everybody in Chilli needs to get out of his way, give him what he believes he needs to accomplish that mission(remember he has a track record of program building, he knows how to do it).

maddog54
Riding the Bench

Post by maddog54 »

Should be 2 playoff wins.

Beat Dayton Carroll in 99 I believe.

Then the win against Canal Winchester in 08

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

maddog54 wrote:Should be 2 playoff wins.

Beat Dayton Carroll in 99 I believe.

Then the win against Canal Winchester in 08
OOps!! Sorry, i forgot about Dayton Carroll.

chillidawg
Waterboy

Post by chillidawg »

I feel Chillicothe will surprise some teams this year. They work hard and the numbers will be there. No reason to complain about the schedule. I have faith in the staff and the opportunities they provide for this kids are amazing. My son went with the team to OSU spring practice and my son stated it was the coolest thing he ever saw. I love the direction of the team along with all athletics in Chillicothe. Sports is more than wins and losses. However we all want to win and I think that will happen especially in the SEOAL. Too much negativity. I'm not aware of too many kids leaving for other local schools.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

chillidawg wrote:I feel Chillicothe will surprise some teams this year. They work hard and the numbers will be there. No reason to complain about the schedule. I have faith in the staff and the opportunities they provide for this kids are amazing. My son went with the team to OSU spring practice and my son stated it was the coolest thing he ever saw. I love the direction of the team along with all athletics in Chillicothe. Sports is more than wins and losses. However we all want to win and I think that will happen especially in the SEOAL. Too much negativity. I'm not aware of too many kids leaving for other local schools.
Dawg I want to clarify that I am in no way attempting to be negative when I speak of the tough schedule being a bad idea. I have heard tons of good things about the numbers and enthusiasm that has existed this winter and early spring in the weight room. That enthusiasm can quickly be crushed for a group of still very young football players(their will only be five to seven seniors on the team) if they cannot see some immediate success as the result of their labors. They will become discouraged, lose that enthusiasm, and believe that their hard work was all for not. This is not the way to build a young program. That is all I am saying. I believe this team will be much much better than last years team. I am told the kids are hard working, have more talent than in the past several years, but may not be able to match teams like HT, BW, PW, and will not match the talent of DTM, and St. F. D. Pickett's charge at the battle of Gettysburgh was led by one of the best generals the Confederacy had to offer. It was executed by some of the best soldiers the Confederacy had to offer. But the Federals outmatched them due to fact that they held the high ground in front of hundreds of yards of open ground. Pickett's charge was the last major Confederate charge of the American Civil War, outmatched, discouraged, and defeated. Not the way to build a program. I believe the CAVS will not go 0-5, but every Confederate soldier was not killed on that day either, just outmatched, discouraged, and defeated. I wish better for the kids of the Chillicothe Cavalier Football program, Coach Hinton and the staff.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

first off west has been better that chilly for years!! they just win and win against good teams. secondly this kind of schedule will simply get a good coach fired. if a program is down they need to bring the schedule down to earth to learn how to win again. build the confidence of the program back up slowly. then slowly start plugging in the tough teams again, there isnt much positive about going 3-7 and saying we played a tough schedule

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

tl895 wrote:first off west has been better that chilly for years!! they just win and win against good teams. secondly this kind of schedule will simply get a good coach fired. if a program is down they need to bring the schedule down to earth to learn how to win again. build the confidence of the program back up slowly. then slowly start plugging in the tough teams again, there isnt much positive about going 3-7 and saying we played a tough schedule
This is what I ahve been saying all along 895. I still have a positive outlook for the CAVS this season, I have heard very good things about the weight room efforts, but this schedule has a dangerous possibility of the young team still stuggling to get a foothold and experience success. I still believe winning teaches winning and losing teaches losing. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. You can practice something all you want, but if you are not practicing it correctly, you are just getting good at doing it wrong.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

Hey dat and hopsing, did you read where Chilli needs coaches, maybe you could go help create winner with that schedule. LMAO :aaaaa8

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

From my point i have seen both teams play...
West will THUMP the cavs..

Return to “Football”