Piketon 29 Waverly 21

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly vs. Piketon (Week 1)

Post by smurray »

Knowing Piketon was heavily favored coming in I think Waverly played fairly well and gave Piketon more than they bargained for. The muffed call on the onside kick and completed pass when he was clearly out of bounds had no bearing on the outcome, no points came about as a result.
Waverly attempted to control the clock with the running game and did a decent job of it, may have ran out of gas or got down on themselves in the 4th. I tend to think Piketon's experience and manpower just took over.
Waverly has nothing to be ashamed of, they played with heart. It just gets tougher from here with Jackson invading Raidager field Friday. Piketon will have no trouble with Vinton County.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I thought both teams played tentative at first, but overall was impressed with both. Waverly is much improved from last year. they should win a few and give some teams more trouble than they think. Bolin-Hitchens is a good quarterback, and as long as he stays healthy, the offense will be okay.

I thought Piketon, except for a few penalties, did what they needed to do, and that was play mistake-free football. No turnovers- I wouldn't have expected that. The defense needs some work, especially the secondary. I thought the offense held back some, didn't really do much power running.

What was Wright so fired up about on the onside kick? Couldn't tell much about the play from our side.

Best of luck to the Tigers the rest of the season, and as always, GO STREAKS!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Proud of my Streaks....Gutsy win! No need to talk about heavily favorites in this game....its a rivalry ...its always -1 in Vegas. Great game....I love that Brabson kid. Let's smash Vinton Co. next week!

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

great game waverly ran out of gas and i feel like piketons o line and big plays wore the tigers out both mentally and physically by the fourth both teams will do well this year

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Mikepike,
I'm not sure what Coach Wright saw on the onside kick but from my vantage point I thought Piketon was offside and I thought they touched it first before it went 10 yards. I could be wrong and I'm sure folks have reviewed the video and can tell us, but like I said, it didn't lead to any Piketon points.

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

I think they kicked from the 40 and recovered the ball on the 48, haven't seen the film though.

Jon B
Riding the Bench

Post by Jon B »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Proud of my Streaks....Gutsy win! No need to talk about heavily favorites in this game....its a rivalry ...its always -1 in Vegas. Great game....I love that Brabson kid. Let's smash Vinton Co. next week!
I agree. The Brabson kid couldnt be stopped. You could tell the kid was ready right from the shoot. Our kids had no fire in them, Brabson was getting his team going. We lacked in motivation. I give the kid credit, he's a heck of an athlete. I thought we had more athletes. imo we should have won this game.

Jon B
Riding the Bench

Post by Jon B »

I also thought the Brabson kid had a whale of a game. Personally i thought, when he ran the ball they couldn't be stopped. We had our chances to win, but we just couldn't pull it off. Trevon had a nice game. Underwood tore them up the whole game, they just couldn't guard him at all. I thought we should have thrown the ball more, because they couldn't guard Paul.

Return to “Football”