Football Tackling 101

LHS 72
S

Football Tackling 101

Post by LHS 72 »

Over this past weekend I wittness 4 varsity and 2 Jr high football games.WOW to my amassment our young men are not being taught proper tackling technique. Let's be clear, I am not criticizing any coaching staff, but they must insist upon proper tackling. Don't ask DEMAND. Renember this. always block and tackle with your head UP! Here my 4 basics points to tackling!
HIT
WRAP
LIFT
DRIVE

moonshine
SEO

Re: Football Tackling 101

Post by moonshine »

The games which I watched most all high school kids are at best average tackles!

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I wonder if the spread formations have an effect on a fans perspective----You get a clearer view of the game (tackling) than you did when the I, power I, and wishbone ruled the day. The Iso, Blast, or Power brings a lot more kids to the ball. You had one on one plays with sweeps and reverses and such but the average fan didn't see as much tackling in space as they do now.

I can only speak for myself and as a coach I don't see a big difference----open field tackling was always harder. I'm approaching 60 pretty quickly and I think safety is preached a lot more today than when I first starting coaching. The equipment has improved immensely----you would be amazed on how light the pads have become.

Perhaps there's a little of "We did it better back in the day" going on here. :-D

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Kids just want to try and hit a guy as hard as they can and coaches don't make them wrap up and drive through the tackle like they are supposed to.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

This guy was one of the most feared in the history of the NFL... If you evaluate the tackling objectively, it ain't so pretty.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... c&fr=moz35

As early as Glen Ellison's RUN AND SHOOT FOOTBALL manual, coaches talked about how spreading the field makes it safer for offensive players because it is harder for one man to tackle one man in space than it is for six guys to collapse upon one ball carrier.

The perfect form tackle has always been rare, even in the days of more compact offensive attacks. The tackler's margin for error is greatly diminished by having fewer mates close by.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Head injuries

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Lots of good info here and most on target. Foggy memories also invloved, lol. Spread FB, emphasis on safety and if fair , watch FB even in the Pros where "form" tackling isnt always used. There its "search and destroy"..............lol

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Kids imitate what they see on TV.

Both the NFL and major college football is filled with players who can't tackle because good tackling technique doesn't make the highlight reel.

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

LHS72 & orange and Brown you my friends are spot on!!! I watch these boys lower a shoulder and hit and hope the runner goes down. That does not always work especially against a quick and powerful runner and when it doesn't work it often winds up being a large gain. Some of the best tacklers I have watched were also wrestlers that knew how to get ahold of someone and put them down. Yes a big hit that rocks someone and they go down looks good but proper technique will provide more 3 and outs. Also if you wrap you don't necessarily have to put them down as the calvary will arrive shortly!!!

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Mister B wrote:Kids imitate what they see on TV.

Both the NFL and major college football is filled with players who can't tackle because good tackling technique doesn't make the highlight reel.
Agreed. It seems to me football in general has moved toward this attitude. Less emphasis on solid tackling that gets your defense off the field in 3 plays, and more on making the "big play" consquently making everyone cheer, yell, and put you on tv. Less emphasis on intellegience and hard work, more on athletic ability. Less emphasis on team more on individual.

Maybe its just a cultural shift in society, but whatever it is it has changed football.

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

i did say at the first of the season logan was in trouble that coach is telling them tackle at the shoulders thats a big problem even the players know that and is why some wont play this year

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Let me explain and expand on the proper tackling techinque as taught in my Football 101 classes for youth league coaches and players! Most important keep your head up and eyes on the target(mid section or belt line) both for safety purposes. Keep your hips under your body for added power and ability to adjust quickly. Shoot the arms up though the ball carrier with explosive violence, and climb the body. Run your feet through the tackle and drive the ball carrier to the ground.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

sider wrote:
Mister B wrote:Kids imitate what they see on TV.

Agreed. It seems to me football in general has moved toward this attitude. Less emphasis on solid tackling that gets your defense off the field in 3 plays, and more on making the "big play" consquently making everyone cheer, yell, and put you on tv. Less emphasis on intellegience and hard work, more on athletic ability. Less emphasis on team more on individual.

Maybe its just a cultural shift in society, but whatever it is it has changed football.
I think both comments here are spot on. Kids see big hits on TV and youtube highlights and kids everywhere can and be like the the people they see on TV. All coaches can do is keep teaching the proper technique and hope it sinks in before there is an injury.

Mich
Waterboy

Post by Mich »

buckeyeguy wrote:i did say at the first of the season logan was in trouble that coach is telling them tackle at the shoulders thats a big problem even the players know that and is why some wont play this year
There is no tackling at the shoulders in Logan! I've been to my nephews practices and the coaches are hammering form tackle the right way! Head up, shoulder in the gut, shoot arms, wrap , pop hips and drive. As for the kids that quit, I talked to one of the four seniors that didn't want to play, he said his heart wasn't in it. He said not one bad thing about team or coaches. It was him!

Return to “Football”