Valley 36 Portsmouth 24

jgordon0315
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth vs Valley Week 1

Post by jgordon0315 »

ManitouDan wrote:Ironton might rush for 1200 yards against portsmouth.... JK , but the rush D was very very weak. Sloppy game , tons of penalities . fumbles, even considering it was opening night it was pretty rough . Charles is a good looking player for portsmouth.

I thought Robinson from Portsmouth was outstanding. Robinson was easily the mvp of the night for Portsmouth, but moral victories are unfulfilling......hopefully the Trojans fare better against West next week, but we already know the formula most teams are gonna use against PHS...........could be a long season on the ground defensively in particular but for the team as a whole as well.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

SPAMONY wrote:I wouldn't read a whole lot into this win. Like I said earlier this was Portsmouth's only chance for a victory this year. Ptown will get throttled the next 4 weeks. Then it will get worse when thier conference play starts. I still say Valley finishes 4th or 5th in the Soc this year. JMO
I still have Valley going 3-2 with W's vs. Minford, Waverly, NW

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

chicken_coop wrote:
SPAMONY wrote:I wouldn't read a whole lot into this win. Like I said earlier this was Portsmouth's only chance for a victory this year. Ptown will get throttled the next 4 weeks. Then it will get worse when thier conference play starts. I still say Valley finishes 4th or 5th in the Soc this year. JMO
I still have Valley going 3-2 with W's vs. Minford, Waverly, NW

I think Minford/BURG game will decide the SOC this year. I have Valley losing to BURG, Minford and West with Waverly a toss up. Valley just lost too much last year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wow, i follow both these programs, kinda shocked here.
don't understand portsmouth's hard times
and the valley is playing real time football now.

i think coop said it best. when a team starts fearing no one. they just go for it.
there is much to be said, for being beat before you leave the bus.
i hope both programs hsave a great year
the soc will be a gunfight this year.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:wow, i follow both these programs, kinda shocked here.
don't understand portsmouth's hard times
and the valley is playing real time football now.

i think coop said it best. when a team starts fearing no one. they just go for it.
there is much to be said, for being beat before you leave the bus.
i hope both programs hsave a great year
the soc will be a gunfight this year.
I agree 100% that they fear no team. This team expects to win every game they play. And they should with a record of 20-3 in past 2 years or 27-6 in the past 3 years. BUT.....what scares me is our ability to pass when we need to. We will have to pass in the near future if we want to win and we'll have to be able to stop the pass. Our lines dont look bad at all. They controled lines of scrimmage last night but we still have a long way to go and alot to work on. I also see it the way Coop does, going 3-2 with W's over Minford, Waverly and Northwest. Maybe further if we can fix the problems we currently have.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Very surprised with how close the game was...I was expecting Valley to blow Portsmouth out of the water, but Portsmouth had opportunities to win this game had they executed. I hope the Trojans spend all of next week working on defense alone, because it looked HIDEOUS last night. They had no clue on how to wrap up.
The offense looked pretty decent last night. They are able to move the ball, just need to learn how to hold onto it. Robinson is lightning fast, and Wedebrook shown that he can throw it.
I hate to start Clifford-bashing on this thread, but c'mon man!!!! The scenario: Portsmouth scores a TD to make it 30-24......if you score a 2pt conversion, the score is 30-26 and no matter what you have to score a TD to take the lead. If you convert an extra point field goal, the score is 30-25 and matter what you have to score a TD to take the lead....why not go for the higher % chance??? I know Albrecht was injured at that point, but he didn't have to run the EXACT same play for a 2pt conversion that he had ran the previous 2 TDs....also he burned all of their 2nd half timeouts within a 1 minute timeframe around the 7 minute mark. C'MON MAN.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I thought fair catching the medium depth kickoffs twice in the 1st half was nuts , the player that caught them has plenty of open turf .. catch it and go ... I can see it once as the young man might have been surprised it came to him... but thats what coach's are for, to tell him " next time you have tons of open space --make us some yards" . MD

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

I can't believe people are already writing valley off this team played with attitude last night they are tired of hearing they lost to much this year. They will be out to prove something this year The defense has as much speed as anyone that they will play The offense has a running back Arnett that will be as good as Keller in time along with other backs that are very good also these ingredients make them a threat at any time

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

ManitouDan wrote:Ironton might rush for 1200 yards against portsmouth.... JK , but the rush D was very very weak. Sloppy game , tons of penalities . fumbles, even considering it was opening night it was pretty rough . Charles is a good looking player for portsmouth.
That's if Ironton doesn't start sucking wind and cramp up every three playes.......lol

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

HERES 4 Fun .... Dont think anyone is writing Valley off this year , there young and will get better each game . I think some fans were expecting the Valley team they've seen the past 4 years that really mixed the pass and the run so well and kept there opponents guessing . Valley was more one dimensional and most fans knows that to win the BIG BOY division it will take a balanced attack . Hopefully Darren and Scott can put things together this week and come out blazing at Rock Hill !

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

SOCMAN05 wrote:HERES 4 Fun .... Dont think anyone is writing Valley off this year , there young and will get better each game . I think some fans were expecting the Valley team they've seen the past 4 years that really mixed the pass and the run so well and kept there opponents guessing . Valley was more one dimensional and most fans knows that to win the BIG BOY division it will take a balanced attack . Hopefully Darren and Scott can put things together this week and come out blazing at Rock Hill !
Just my opinion to get the pass down they are going to have to go to the freshman Qb I don't think Howard is going to be able to do what they need.Rolfe needs to be used he looks alot like Yates.Experience or not I think he is a better Qb

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Tobias wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:Great win Indians!! This game is more evidence, to me at least, Portsmouth should be invited into the SOC II. I just hope they give ole Cliff another 5 year contract!
salt in the wounds, starbase...

:mrgreen:
You've been a little reserved lately. It was my attempt to help set the tone, for you! :mrgreen: I thought the quoted comment about the defense in the PDT was revealing! :12224

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Here4Fun wrote:
SOCMAN05 wrote:HERES 4 Fun .... Dont think anyone is writing Valley off this year , there young and will get better each game . I think some fans were expecting the Valley team they've seen the past 4 years that really mixed the pass and the run so well and kept there opponents guessing . Valley was more one dimensional and most fans knows that to win the BIG BOY division it will take a balanced attack . Hopefully Darren and Scott can put things together this week and come out blazing at Rock Hill !
Just my opinion to get the pass down they are going to have to go to the freshman Qb I don't think Howard is going to be able to do what they need.Rolfe needs to be used he looks alot like Yates.Experience or not I think he is a better Qb
You might as well forget about Rolfe being the QB unless some unforseen circumstances take place. I believe he will be a very good QB in the future and maybe the best passer right now, but they wont pull Will just to throw a freshman out there. I agree it might be exciting but this is Wills job and he has earned it. Now if we can get a comfortable lead on some teams, we may get to see Rolfe get a series or two late in a game. I just hope our passing game gets better because we are going to need it in the near future

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

Here4fun........You will get to see that happen on Friday nite in Rock Hill, the entire second half will be JV/Frosh to showcase their skills....I'm sure ;-)

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Tobias wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:You've been a little reserved lately. It was my attempt to help set the tone, for you! :mrgreen: I thought the quoted comment about the defense in the PDT was revealing! :12224
Bashing of coaches is frowned upon on SEOP.
i haven't read the PDT but i just read starbase318's post and i don't see any bashing in there. :?

KVDW
SE

Re: Valley 36 Portsmouth 24

Post by KVDW »

Tobias wrote:
KVDW wrote:i haven't read the PDT but i just read starbase318's post and i don't see any bashing in there. :?
If I were to comment to starbase about the PDT quote, then it would be considered bashing...

:mrgreen:
well, then don't do that. bashing is prohibited ya know. :mrgreen:

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

nutronron2012 wrote:
Here4Fun wrote:
You might as well forget about Rolfe being the QB unless some unforseen circumstances take place. I believe he will be a very good QB in the future and maybe the best passer right now, but they wont pull Will just to throw a freshman out there. I agree it might be exciting but this is Wills job and he has earned it. Now if we can get a comfortable lead on some teams, we may get to see Rolfe get a series or two late in a game. I just hope our passing game gets better because we are going to need it in the near future
I think you hit the nail on the head!! Will has earned the job and the year of growth and maturity is going to make Rolfe and the team much better. With a team full of new faces all over the field, winning is winning and that's exactly what they did Saturday night. There's more than a strong chance that they are going to enter SOC play at 5-0 (with Coal Grove being the obvious biggest hurdle in Week 3). I believe they will continue to get better every week and have enough strengths overall to compete every week. There were some glaring deficiencies (passing game, kicking game, pass defense, penalties), but as with all solid teams & coaching staffs, they will work on those areas and improve. I think this Valley team has the potential to be a factor in league play and that's certainly a good thing, especially in a "rebuilding year". I just hope for the kids' sake, all the Arnett-Keller and Howard-Yates comparisons can stop sooner rather than later. 2011 was a special year full of special performances by some special kids, but it's now 2012 and the kids playing now worked hard to earn their positions, so I personally think it's time to focus on them in their time to perform. Best of luck to the Indians!!!

Return to “Football”