(0-1) Wheelersburg @ (1-0) Coal Grove

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

fbnut
SEOP

Re: (0-1) Wheelersburg @ (1-0) Coal Grove

Post by fbnut »

kaskey and stephenson were sophmores in 02 and never touched the feild. webb was a good football player, dunham was a track guy that played football, nowhere near the weapon stephenson turned into his senior yr. lewis did a great job with that team his first yr as a head coach 5-5 but that team as a whole was not that talented, everything went through weaver. a lot of option football with weaver keeping it a lot. miller, claxton and martin looked to me friday to all be very good receivers, all 3 catch the ball extremely well and all 3 can do a little bit with it after the catch. I liked the TE also, he looked to catch the ball well and ran hard after the catch.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It's a misconception about Burg's QB and him being over 80% of offense. Burg's offense runs short passing routes essentially making them long handoff's and when they do have a running play its an option read where he makes the decision to keep or give. He's just good at getting the ball to the right player.

OVCCLASSIC
Waterboy

Re: Week 2: Wheelersburg (0-1) @ Coal Grove (1-0)

Post by OVCCLASSIC »

fuzzhead wrote:Wheelersburg leads the all-time series, 15-11-2 and have won the last 6 meetings.
Average score: Wheelersburg 18, Coal Grove 14...
Research shows last Coal Grove win was 90 playoffs and the 1984 reg. season

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

OVCCLASSIC wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:Wheelersburg leads the all-time series, 15-11-2 and have won the last 6 meetings.
Average score: Wheelersburg 18, Coal Grove 14...
Research shows last Coal Grove win was 90 playoffs and the 1984 reg. season
Indeed.

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

We will get to see what the Hornets are made of Friday Night....LOL
Pirates 28
Hornets 14

Huey
Waterboy

Post by Huey »

I think The Burg will walk away with this one. The Burg will be the team to beat this year in our league, The SOC II. And I don't think they will have any trouble with Coal Grove. Too much Speed, and how can you doubt their Coaches, after last year, and even last week.

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

If miller averages 20 carries a game the whole season it will end up taking a toll on him. fbnut I know you keep saying that you didnt see him take many big shots. Here is the thing, the shots he is taking will add up. With his size it will add up faster. The point everyone is trying to make is they need to find someone to have in the backfield with him to help carry the load. It sounds like he is a good talent, so there is no reason to take a chance in him not being health at the end of the season when there is more riding on the line.

That being said im taking burg in this one

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

I don't think he takes that many good licks when he carries the ball, due too him being so quick. Having him returning punts & kickoffs seems kind of risky too me, one good shot in an open field tackle and he's could be done, and who will replace him. jmo.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

Wheelersburg picks there own score . This game will b over by half time.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The Pirates throw a lot of short passes; that means Coal Grove defenders will likely have to make one-on-one, open-field tackles. That's not a good thing if recent history is any indicator. Can't afford to arm-tackle against Wheelersburg.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Talking about the Burg receivers, Austin May will eventiually fit into that mix and will provide another good athlete that Miller can throw to. He has breakaway speed that will just make the Burg stronger once he starts playing.

Like fbnut said, Miller didn't take a lot of hits other then the one that was mentioned by Culbertson. Now will that be the case every game? Probably not but I think he will be okay. Eddie is a strong player and also once they get a RB established(I thought the Ellis kid ran hard but then never saw the ball the 2nd half) and he can continue to hit the wide open receivers on those short passes, he won't have to run as much. I thought I saw where he only had two incompletions against I-town and both of those were dropped passes, one which would have been an easy TD.

If they continue to run that spread, they will wear teams down by the 4th qtr and hopefully be able to put them away then. Burg doesn't have the big line so the hurry up suits them fine. Plus they have a ton of speed at the WR position. I know Martin had a big fumble(at least that is what it was called on the field) but I believe he will be a great WR by the end of the year and will probably be one of the best athletes to come out of the Burg. I'm sure Coach Estep cringes everytime he takes a hit as he is a great pitcher.

Not sure of the score. Burg has always struggled at CG. Should be another good game though.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Loving how the Grove is being counted out already, just remember Burg fans, Ports. West had Fairland counted out about this time last week. I believe that the Grove can win this game, all they need is to be reminded about how everyone counts them out of big games like this and I believe these boys will finally say enough is enough and pull out a victory. I have read all the post on here and true, arm tackling cannot be done this week, and I think once the game starts moving the defense will pick up on that and stop it. My only quesiton is this, when the Grove pulls off the upset a week after Fairland pulled off a huge upset will people start saying that the OVC is showing signs of its once great past?

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

^^^^NO^^^^^^

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

SPAMONY wrote:^^^^NO^^^^^^

I agree.

Since 2000 CG has only made the playoffs 2 times. Both times they were beaten by Oak Hill by 4+ TDs. They had a good series with Minford and were competitive, but lost every game of that series. I dont see that changing with them renewing the series with Burg who has had more success than Minford over the past 5 years, especially the past 10. The Grove just hasnt been able to win big games that they needed to and still havent gotten over the hump.

Chesapeake has had some success in the past 10 years but still have failed to win a playoff game.

Comparing both of these schools, especially the Grove, to what they had in the 80's and 90's is not even comparable. Coal Grove had some nasty teams back in the 90's.

Huey
Waterboy

Post by Huey »

I don't think there is any way that the Grove can win this game. But even if they some how pulled it off, the OVC has a long way to go, to regain any power. I think The Burg is going to get on the winning side, come Friday!!!

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Those Oak Hill/Coal Grove final scores were 42-14, and 42-12.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The OVC just isn't a football conference anymore. The interest in it has gone down. Fairland doesn't care, South Point doesn't care, River Valley never cared, Chesapeake is a basketball school, aside from Rock Hill's run of success for 3 years in the 2000s decent teams have been few and far between, and you can go to a home Coal Grove game and tell that the fans just don't care the way they used to. Coal Grove has steadied the program and it picked back up and has gotten as good as it's been since the mid-90s. Pretty much every decent athlete at the school plays football and there are usually 50-60 kids on the team and Coal Grove's powerlifting accomplishments attest to how well they do in the weightroom. That's all you can ask for from kids.
Coaching has been called into question on here and everywhere else. No, the coaching staff isn't perfect, but the kids come out to play in droves and they win most of their games. Games like this, even if they lose 60-0, are a good thing. It wasn't too long ago that CG was resorting to scheduling Green to pick up a cheap win here and there. Scheduling Wheelersburg is a sign that Coal Grove is ready to at least attempt to be competitive with traditionally strong football programs and at least find out where they need to be.
Just a few thoughts. Good luck to both teams tonight. Hope to see everyone there. Should be a great atmosphere.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

fuzzhead wrote:The OVC just isn't a football conference anymore. The interest in it has gone down. Fairland doesn't care, South Point doesn't care, River Valley never cared, Chesapeake is a basketball school, aside from Rock Hill's run of success for 3 years in the 2000s decent teams have been few and far between, and you can go to a home Coal Grove game and tell that the fans just don't care the way they used to. Coal Grove has steadied the program and it picked back up and has gotten as good as it's been since the mid-90s. Pretty much every decent athlete at the school plays football and there are usually 50-60 kids on the team and Coal Grove's powerlifting accomplishments attest to how well they do in the weightroom. That's all you can ask for from kids.
Coaching has been called into question on here and everywhere else. No, the coaching staff isn't perfect, but the kids come out to play in droves and they win most of their games. Games like this, even if they lose 60-0, are a good thing. It wasn't too long ago that CG was resorting to scheduling Green to pick up a cheap win here and there. Scheduling Wheelersburg is a sign that Coal Grove is ready to at least attempt to be competitive with traditionally strong football programs and at least find out where they need to be.
Just a few thoughts. Good luck to both teams tonight. Hope to see everyone there. Should be a great atmosphere.
That was a very good post.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

OVC is going through some commitment issues with it's schools. As far as the game I see Coal Grove hanfg tough but losing 35-21 Wheelersburg just to quick they control their turnovers they will be fine.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

'burg by 14

Return to “Football”