Re: SOC/local season predictions after week 1

Post by SPAMONY »

BOLD^^^^^^^^LOL

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

nutronron2012 wrote:
fbnut wrote:"running through the soc". Do you realize how many soph's and juniors the burgs playing?
How many is every other team playing? Burgs chances are just as good as anyone elses. Of all the SOC team, Burg played the hardest week 1 opponent and only lost by 5 after spotting them 14. Sounds like those Juniors and Soph's are doing fine. Their only problem will be keeping Miller healthy and finding someone to share the work with.
that was meant toward a post above about minford running through the SOC2 next. I thought it was kind of a bold prediction since the burg should be returning a whole bunch of 2-3 yr starters and a huge senior class in 2013

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

nutronron2012 wrote:
sider wrote:The above statement is very fair. West might not be as good as this past year, but they are a good team. They played very well against three teams that are perenial winners and possible playoff teams (Ironton, N-y, and Wilmy). I think Friday was the just the perfect storm, away game, everyone played bad, new quarterback, etc...but they are still a strong team. I would say 7-3 at worst still, but hey I am biased towards those siders.

Btw, Minford is definitely the sleeper team to watch for this year.
I'm not a bit biased towards the siders and I say they 7-3 at worst as well. Probably 8-2 or even 9-1. They play most the teams that would have a chance to beat them at home.
Yeah the schedule makers were kind this year. We get Burg, Valley, and P-Town at home. I don't really believe the Rock has historically been a great home field advantage. Because of our past reputation, we typically do not get any love what so ever from the officals.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

sider wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:
sider wrote:The above statement is very fair. West might not be as good as this past year, but they are a good team. They played very well against three teams that are perenial winners and possible playoff teams (Ironton, N-y, and Wilmy). I think Friday was the just the perfect storm, away game, everyone played bad, new quarterback, etc...but they are still a strong team. I would say 7-3 at worst still, but hey I am biased towards those siders.

Btw, Minford is definitely the sleeper team to watch for this year.
I'm not a bit biased towards the siders and I say they 7-3 at worst as well. Probably 8-2 or even 9-1. They play most the teams that would have a chance to beat them at home.
Yeah the schedule makers were kind this year. We get Burg, Valley, and P-Town at home. I don't really believe the Rock has historically been a great home field advantage. Because of our past reputation, we typically do not get any love what so ever from the officals.
I wish they would have just redone the old field. That is a Hostile atmosphere. I'll never forget going there an playing. I dont care much for the new place. Feels like you're way too far from the game

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

fbnut wrote:"running through the soc". Do you realize how many soph's and juniors the burgs playing?
Redshirt Soph's and juniors.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Bleeding Red wrote:
izladoom wrote:i still think it will come down to burg west and valley. burgs offense will be fun to watch this year and they have the most balance. west will get back on track but it is concerning to hear they was pushed around on both sides of the ball. valley looks good and they have 3 players that can run the ball behind what looks like a good line. i just dont think minford will be there in the end. last year they was awful and i just do see how they got that much better in one year. yes they have a good line but it will take more than that.

In reality Minford is one year away from running through the SOC II when all of these juniors and sophomores are one year older. That being said, I would be very surprised to see them finish lower than second place in the league this year barring no injuries. We will get a better feel of how good they are this week.

Unfortunately Valley has a lackluster schedule until they get to conference play. Next week against Coal Grove might be the first real test but that is tbd until we see how good CG is this week.

I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.

As embarrassed as your record last year??? Have a little common sense.....fairland will prob. be 8-2 and Rockhill 1-9......

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

West Side Pride wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:
izladoom wrote:i still think it will come down to burg west and valley. burgs offense will be fun to watch this year and they have the most balance. west will get back on track but it is concerning to hear they was pushed around on both sides of the ball. valley looks good and they have 3 players that can run the ball behind what looks like a good line. i just dont think minford will be there in the end. last year they was awful and i just do see how they got that much better in one year. yes they have a good line but it will take more than that.

In reality Minford is one year away from running through the SOC II when all of these juniors and sophomores are one year older. That being said, I would be very surprised to see them finish lower than second place in the league this year barring no injuries. We will get a better feel of how good they are this week.

Unfortunately Valley has a lackluster schedule until they get to conference play. Next week against Coal Grove might be the first real test but that is tbd until we see how good CG is this week.

I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.

As embarrassed as your record last year??? Have a little common sense.....fairland will prob. be 8-2 and Rockhill 1-9......
I watched Fairland this year, they are NOT great team. They have quickness and can throw the ball. The way they pushed West around up front after personally watching their line, West will struggle against Burg, Minford and Valley if they dont get MUCH better up front. Is that really possible after the season starts?????

You might try common sense and look at their schedule before even commenting. There is no way Fairland goes 8-2. They MIGHT go 6-4. @ Meigs, Burg, Bishop Hartley, Coal Grove will more than likely be losses. They are no power house.

You can talk about any other team's record from last year. What ever makes you feel better after the loss. ;-)

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

dirt_cinders wrote:
Redshirt Soph's and juniors.
Call them whatever you want, they will still be back in 2013

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

West Side Pride wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:

Minford is way overrated. Didnt they scrimmage Fairland? And didnt Fairlands #1s put a whippin on Minfords #1s. Scrimmages might not mean anything and Minford is Lucky they dont. That would be embarrasing to have that on your record. The cream will rise to the top when Conference play starts,

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

^^^AMEN

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

yeah its way to early to say who will be there in the end. west may have been over rated coming in but my guess is that the kids have been hearing all the hype they have been getting and just didnt show up. i dont think they will do that again. i think with everyone saying valley is down this year they will be playing with a chip on there shoulder all year. the best thing to happen to valley this year will be everyone counting them out.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford didnt get beat in their scrimmage against Fairland.

They tied 21-21 with the 1's and that included an opening pick 6 for Fairland's D. Once Stapleton went in at QB, Minford had their way with Fairland. They didnt have many problems with Fairland up front like West did. And Fairland ran the spread all night.

More hearsay! LOL! Have fun with Rock Hill tonight!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

There has been alot of talk on here about teams being young so I got to looking at everyone's roster and to my surprise West has the least amount of Seniors with Burg and Northwest having the most in SOC 2. I thought that was pretty interesting. With all the underclassmen that will make significant contributions to their team this season looks like the SOC going to stay very competitive for awhile.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

luvbigcats wrote "There has been alot of talk on here about teams being young so I got to looking at everyone's roster and to my surprise West has the least amount of Seniors with Burg and Northwest having the most in SOC 2. I thought that was pretty interesting. With all the underclassmen that will make significant contributions to their team this season looks like the SOC going to stay very competitive for awhile."

I agree the SOC 2 will be very good for the next few years. The pirates have a great freshman class full of big lineman and will blend great with the skill kids that are already there. The Pirates will be tough for the next 4 years.

N B Heat
Freshman Team

Post by N B Heat »

THEN What,, I think the same could be said at Valley ,Minford, and West lots of talent is coming up through the ranks at these schools which makes for a really strong conference . Next year we could be looking at 3-4 teams returning to the playoffs ! The confereence as a whole is getting stronger gone are the days when you can guarantee a championship in this league !!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

N B Heat wrote:THEN What,, I think the same could be said at Valley ,Minford, and West lots of talent is coming up through the ranks at these schools which makes for a really strong conference . Next year we could be looking at 3-4 teams returning to the playoffs ! The confereence as a whole is getting stronger gone are the days when you can guarantee a championship in this league !!!!
Agreed!

SOC II- the league where the fans can argue all week, watch the games on Friday night and then get back to arguing!

At least we have a competitive league (for the most part) and ANYTHING can and will happen during the course of 10 weeks. I guarantee you one thing, our fans stick with their teams through thick and thin and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. This league normally produces several playoff teams every year and once the dust settles, we all get behind the ones still standing.

Good luck tonight to all the SOC II schools.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Bleeding Red wrote: I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.
Good Call!! Burg/Minford seem to be the favorite (to date), followed by Valley (depending on their performance against CG), West, Waverly....West is staring at an 0-3 start. When was the last time that happened? They'll probably need to win out to make the playoffs let alone win the regional, as some boldly predicted.

todmc
Waterboy

Post by todmc »

just keep doubting fairland. they beat meigs tonight 30-12

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

starbase_318 wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote: I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.
Good Call!! Burg/Minford seem to be the favorite (to date), followed by Valley (depending on their performance against CG), West, Waverly....West is staring at an 0-3 start. When was the last time that happened? They'll probably need to win out to make the playoffs let alone win the regional, as some boldly predicted.
I would put Burg in the top spot right now just because of the teams played so far. We wont really see how Valley stacks up until next weekend after they play Coal Grove. Rock Hill was not a good measuring stick for Valley or Minford. CG seems to have a good team this year and Valley can really gain some confidence with a win next week.

Minford matches up with a good Piketon team this week. I feel Wellston can still win 6-7 games and was a decent test. Minford did what they needed to, go to Wellston and get a win.

Still unsure of Waverly. They can be a sleeper team and cause an upset or two.

Burg, Minford and Valley are the top three that have looked good so far in this young season.

Return to “Football”