Week 3 (1-1) Gallia Academy @ (2-0) Ironton

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Re: Week 3 (1-1) Gallia Academy @ (2-0) Ironton

Post by Blue_Steel »

It was a great, gutsy call, had we scored Coach Eddy and his staff are heroes. But normal rule is go for win on the road go for tie at home. over the last 30 years I would guess that Ironton is way over .500 in overtime games. I would venture to guess that they are somewhere near the 90% winning in overtime. they line up tight and drive it 3 yards or more at a time and get a few first downs and score. We did move the ball at end of game, but Wade was under pressure a lot the last drive and Ironton had started containing our runs off tackle which worked really well first half of game. OC had great game plan and team executed it very well. Coach Penrod for second year in a row had his defense ready and able. Hats off to them in a very impressive showing. Holding Ironton to negative yards rushing in first half of the game and one first down. Lets line em back up win the next 7 take our chances at making playoffs at 8-2. So many players played great games I don't want to start naming as I'm sure I would leave someone out. Lots of outstanding individual efforts out there.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

scarlet&blue? wrote:I didn't like the call---why assume it would be blocked? on three previous kick attempts they got some pressure but did not block it----I liked our chances in OT---oh well---
did'nt get to catch the whole game but from what I heard on the radio Coach Eddy outsmarts himself again!!!!! got the Ironton Jinx? they are high school not pro go to overtime let your great conditioning win the game for you trust your players not what works on video games this is two years in a row now your kids played there guts out for you.

Gus
Freshman Team

Post by Gus »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:I'M PROUD OF HOW THE FIGHTING TIGERS ARE PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL THIS YEAR.
See what you did there Bait!!!!!! You Jinks them, next week dont say nothing of the sort...........

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Blue_Steel wrote:It was a great, gutsy call, had we scored Coach Eddy and his staff are heroes. But normal rule is go for win on the road go for tie at home. over the last 30 years I would guess that Ironton is way over .500 in overtime games. I would venture to guess that they are somewhere near the 90% winning in overtime. they line up tight and drive it 3 yards or more at a time and get a few first downs and score. We did move the ball at end of game, but Wade was under pressure a lot the last drive and Ironton had started containing our runs off tackle which worked really well first half of game. OC had great game plan and team executed it very well. Coach Penrod for second year in a row had his defense ready and able. Hats off to them in a very impressive showing. Holding Ironton to negative yards rushing in first half of the game and one first down. Lets line em back up win the next 7 take our chances at making playoffs at 8-2. So many players played great games I don't want to start naming as I'm sure I would leave someone out. Lots of outstanding individual efforts out there.
long bus ride home for the boys i heard the defense carried the night,offense scored enough coaches blew it! you always go for the tie,you don't know what is going to happen in a 4 down series in ot,going for the win on the road is the stupidest thing i have ever heard,if we had momentum why not play it out! poor coaching!
we have to avoid the letdown next week like after last years ironton loss
playoffs??? omg, stop and let the kids play, stop placing high expectations on them.
football is a team game!

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Bleeding Red wrote:Seems like Gallia Academy has really been playing well with the new offensive coordinator. Sounded like a heart breaker for Gallia who is probably much better than they were expected to be going into this game. Second year in a row this matchup went right down to the wire.
last week they basically got shut out! 7 points in 4th qtr is not doing well

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

seoal83 wrote:For starters i have no idea how people could complain about Gallia academy's schedule this year. When you look at division 3 region 12. gallia academy has the third toughest schedule as far as size teams it plays. Only archbishop Alter and Taft have a tougher schedule if you look at the size schools they play gallia equals 2.7. and even though it is only through 2 weeks. Gallia academys opponents this year being 10-10. only 8 schools in div 3 region 12 have opponents with a better winning percentage.
so there is nothing wrong with the strength of schedule.

I wish we would keep ironton on the schedule. But it is not like this is first time this series has ever went away. The thing is your going to play a team that you are only going to beat once every 7 or 8 years on your schedule. you better play most of your other non conference games against almost sure victories.

As far as next years schedule goes i have no idea what it looks like but i think you would expect a lot of strange matchups to they get it straightened out. Because if i was correct this was not only it for licking heights and ironton on schedule but it was also it for Marietta and chillicothie. Also you have to think next year gallia academy will drop to division 4 in football. even with those 2 games on schedule they will have one of the toughest division 4 schedules in region also i would guess.

And actually if you look at this as a straight up trade ironton for Fairland. Gallia academy is probably increasing their yearly computer points and playoff chances. instead of playing one game out of conference that you would have to consider a win a bonus to going against a team you should beat more then you lose to only improves your chances.

Good luck to both teams if gallia plays their best they come out on top.
how do you know who has the toughest schedule until the season is over? that's dumb

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Got some stats for this game?

seoal83
Freshman Team

Post by seoal83 »

Not seeing a game then saying it was bad coaching or a coach out thought himself is just ridiculous. Some of you obviously don't like the coach and don't think he will ever make the right call. Football is a team game that goes for the players and the coaching staff. when you criticize the coaching staff like that you handicap the players. you put seeds in their mind that maybe they should doubt their coaches.

out of the people in the stands last night that know anything about football, i would say 90% of them had no problem with the call of going for 2 last night. Gallia academy had a open receiver pass was just tipped. I don't think this team will have a let down. This years team is not last years team. This team is better. I am not saying they win out. but this team gets it and buys into what is going on. They will be ok.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

hey i give the blue devils credit, i think i'd have done the same thing they played gutsy football all night, they basically controlled the tempo, and controlled the clock all night long.the last game of the series , overtime, making a coaching statement, playing on the road. i'd have went for 2 as well.initially i thought it was a crazy call. but after reflecting on it, they ran and passed all over us all night.why not go for the win, ain't that what it's all about.

i think they said on wiro, we only had like 140 yards of total offense all night long. gallipolis played very tough. very good ball game.it's hard to take anything from either squad, they played their guts out.ironton simply has to block better, and sustain their blocks longer. and our tackling is way off.you simply have to sustain oline blocks, and wrap up tackling. personally on the fumble i thought white's forward momentum had long been stopped, and was just being held up by gallia defenders. --------but that is what you are taught to do. it worked out if you are a fighting tiger fan. and even though that was a long bus ride home for the blue devils. they had nothing to hang their heads about. they virtually outplayed us all night. but the game is 48 minutes long. and everything that happens in that time frame counts.and as far as having an extra point kicker this year. without him last night , we'd have lost. so praise god we have one.the reason the balls are barely clearing the crossbars is because he is not following through, stopping his momentum, as soon as he makes contact with the ball, so thats an easy adjustment. very exciting game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Gus wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:I'M PROUD OF HOW THE FIGHTING TIGERS ARE PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL THIS YEAR.
See what you did there Bait!!!!!! You Jinks them, next week dont say nothing of the sort...........

it's you jinxed them , and i'll have to work on that. :-D

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

"Go for the win on the road and the tie at home" was true 30 years ago. With today's overtime rules, play the even up situation. How many times during the game do you go for it on 4th and 3 yards to go. Not many because the odds are against you. Gallia just scores and has the momentum to go into the overtime. Have confidence in you extra point kicker and beat them in overtime. It is a bad coaching decision to go for two.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THATS WHAT MAKES FORUMS LIKE THIS FUN----------------DIFFERING OPINIONS.
GGOD LUCK TO THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS AND THE GALLIPOLIS BLUE DEVILS THE REST OF THE SEASON.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Sounds like it was a heck of a game. The young men on both sides played hard and someone had to lose.
G.A. I wish you nothhing but the best as you continue your march to make the post season not only this year but the future.
Maybe you will be on the schedule again maybe not but in any case I hope and wish your team nothing but the best and may you all stay healthy and competive each and every game. Good Luck

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

[quote="You're Tiger Bait"]hey i give the blue devils credit, i think i'd have done the same thing they played gutsy football all night, they basically controlled the tempo, and controlled the clock all night long.the last game of the series , overtime, making a coaching statement, playing on the road. i'd have went for 2 as well.initially i thought it was a crazy call. but after reflecting on it, they ran and passed all over us all night.why not go for the win, ain't that what it's all about.

i think they said on wiro, we only had like 140 yards of total offense all night long. gallipolis played very tough. very good ball game.it's hard to take anything from either squad, they played their guts out.ironton simply has to block better, and sustain their blocks longer. and our tackling is way off.you simply have to sustain oline blocks, and wrap up tackling. personally on the fumble i thought white's forward momentum had long been stopped, and was just being held up by gallia defenders. --------but that is what you are taught to do. it worked out if you are a fighting tiger fan. and even though that was a long bus ride home for the blue devils. they had nothing to hang their heads about. they virtually outplayed us all night. but the game is 48 minutes long. and everything that happens in that time frame counts.and as far as having an extra point kicker this year. without him last night , we'd have lost. so praise god we have one.the reason the balls are barely clearing the crossbars is because he is not following through, stopping his momentum, as soon as he makes contact with the ball, so thats an easy adjustment. very exciting game.[/quote]

Bait you are correct from what I saw as far as the fumble called on White. The one ref blew his whistle and called the play off and then somehow they come up with the ball. The ref that blew his whistle went and told the other refs that he had called the play and they just ignored him and blew him off. They did that to him several times last night.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Games like this really makes me wish Time Warner still included games from this area or their on-demand feature.

Congrats to the Tigers for surviving in this one.
Next week you guys will have to play your best game to date to be able to hang with Ashland.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

setting on the visitors side that ball looked like it was out almost from the initial hit. it was lodged in between guys and was just there i could see no arms from my point of view and ball was just out there in between players. like i said that was just one point of view i had ironton people around me and they noticed it almost immediate.

it was not the best officiated game on either side of the ball. a lot phantom calls and no calls each way.

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Post by Blue_Steel »

one question on the punt return for a TD. there was a procedure call against GA on the kick but after the kick and on the return there was another flag thrown for illegal block in back on the return. that official motioned hi call to others stood his spot on or around the 35 yard line the other officials talked picked up their flags and signaled TD. the other guy still standing back at the 35, stuffs his flag in pockets and starts running toward the officials, by the time they he gets there they are kicking xp.... did anyone else notice that?

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Post by Blue_Steel »

and yes kvnchambers it was a fumble, clearly out and I think i have picture of it at point of attack coming out, then setting there like it was floating in air.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i knew i saw another flag fly in the air during the return. but after the play i could not find it. so that would make sense.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the officiating crew was from gallipolis

Return to “Football”