Week 4: Portsmouth @ Minford

Piratefan2
Varsity

Re: Week 4: Portsmouth @ Minford

Post by Piratefan2 »

If everybody is thinking minford is going to win then im going to think this will be an upset! Portsmouth actually has some serious speed (esp. #18), if they can snap the ball correctly and know in their mind that minford has never beat them, then i look for portsmouth to defend the fact minford hasnt beat them and win in an upset!
portsmouth 27
minford 20

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Portsmouth isnt going to all of a sudden start tackling and blocking week 4.

I look for Minford to run it right down Portsmouth's throat. Portsmouth may have some speed, but I assure you they do not have the same physical line play as Piketon. Speed cant kill you without blocking.

Like last week Minford will try to use long drives to wear them down early. As long as Minford protects the ball, they will have those long drives. Minford defended the pass fairly well last week and I look for them to do the same if Portsmouth abandons the run and starts throwing the ball.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

PirateFan2 wrote:If everybody is thinking minford is going to win then im going to think this will be an upset! Portsmouth actually has some serious speed (esp. #18), if they can snap the ball correctly and know in their mind that minford has never beat them, then i look for portsmouth to defend the fact minford hasnt beat them and win in an upset!
portsmouth 27
minford 20
"The Past" is no longer an issue @ Minford Football. Coach Daniels has been changing that for 6 years now. In other words, "The Past" WILL NOT help the Trojans win this week's game @ Minford. Our team will be well aware of the past head-to head record of 0-6.

On to the game, this will be a very entertaining night. It will be veteran's night, which I am really looking forward to. And I do agree that PHS still has the athletes to give any team a difficult time, so we better not take this Trojans team lightly. The Minford coaches will have the players prepared.

In addition, I have heard that the new home uniforms should be delivered in time for this Friday night's game. I already like the new road uniforms.

I like my Falcons in this one.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Tobias wrote:Read my post again, please.

It states "first head varsity football coach at Portsmouth HS".

:mrgreen:

Clifford could be the first head varsity football coach at Portsmouth HS to lose to Minford. (I am aware that he is 6-0 against them and no other games have been played between the two teams.)
i don't need to read your post again, sir. i understood it clearly the 1st time, INCLUDING your "aside" note regarding Ted Newsome losing in "an athletic event" to Clay.... which had nothing to do with Portsmouth/minford football and the point of your rants about your coach.

what i posted was exactly the same thing.... an "aside" note regarding the Portsmouth Trojans and Minford Falcons in "an athletic event" some 60 years ago when portsmouth was a large booming town.... primarily because of the construction of the A-Plant at the time....and minford was just a little hick county school and i thought that was an interesting piece of information that i read in some of my uncle's old clippings and perhaps some people weren't aware of.... especially younger minford people.
i, in no way, was challenging what you said about Portsmouth/Minford football but rather just noting another piece of Trojan history which you also did in your post.

"It will be interesting. I remember that Ted Newsome was the first coach at Portsmouth to ever lose an athletic event to Clay."

my apologies if you felt challenged or offended.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Tobias wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:How many times have Ports and Minford played and whats the records?
Portsmouth has NEVER lost to Minford in varsity football.

I will have scores shortly.

Ol_BoyMF
Waterboy

Post by Ol_BoyMF »

Minford to physical and disciplined for the Trojans. but i see this game being a 1 score game.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

I see Portsmouth upsetting minford in this one. Valley and Burg beat Portsmouth and the will be ready and they are much tougher than piketon which minford struggled to beat. Portsmouth has not been beaten by minford and they want to keep it that way even as bad as they lost last week this is a new game....

usctrojans1
Freshman Team

Post by usctrojans1 »

Minford by 14

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Portsmouth by one TD

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

starbase_318 wrote:
Tobias wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:How many times have Ports and Minford played and whats the records?
Portsmouth has NEVER lost to Minford in varsity football.

I will have scores shortly.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

IF Minford wins this game,WHICH they should, I'm think'n Portsmouth might have different thoughts about want'n to join the SOC.(IMO) Portsmouth beat a struggling West team @ West, that I along with most of the area thought would be a cake walk for West. Don't underestimate the Trojans & Clifford in this game, too much on the line to think that this Trojan team is going to lay down and take a spank'n! GOOD LUCK and a INJURY FREE GAME to both teams. Southern Ohio Football fans will have their eyes on this matchup for sure!!!!!!! ;-)

14U
S

Post by 14U »

seen both team play and Falcons run the ball all over them. Trojans too young and weak inside, the line is were its won and Falcons are strong and big upfront with talented backs and QB. As for the "D" Minford has one and ptown doesn't..... Minford Badly in this contest!!!!

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

Lets go Trojans get it going!!

SiderGuy12
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderGuy12 »

I believe if Portsmouth can get a passing game going then they will have a fair chance against the falcons. Minford may be overlooking the speed that this Portsmouth team possess. I like Minford in this game but I wouldnt be surprised if Portsmouth pulls off an upset.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Here4Fun wrote:I see Portsmouth upsetting minford in this one. Valley and Burg beat Portsmouth and the will be ready and they are much tougher than piketon which minford struggled to beat. Portsmouth has not been beaten by minford and they want to keep it that way even as bad as they lost last week this is a new game Clifford's job maybe on the line.....

Much tougher than Piketon --- I don't believe you can say that this year. You may be able to say that in most but definitely not this year.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

How much speed does Minford have?

BurgPunk
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgPunk »

Should actually be a good game...Portsmouth is actually good defensively against the run. If Minford gets scared to throw like last year when they ran Gains left, Gains right then Gains left and Gains right...then they will struggle. Hopefully, they will not get into that rut again. You can also count on P-town to break down fundamentally...especially if get down early. I wil take Minford but as Corso says "closer than the experts think"

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

Here4Fun wrote:I see Portsmouth upsetting minford in this one. Valley and Burg beat Portsmouth and the will be ready and they are much tougher than piketon which minford struggled to beat. Portsmouth has not been beaten by minford and they want to keep it that way even as bad as they lost last week this is a new game Clifford's job maybe on the line.....

This year's Piketon Redstreaks is arguably the best in years. Their offense, IMO, can score on anyone, and their defense is not too shabby either. Yes I do agree the conference they play in is a little down right now. They play a tough opponent in Westfall this week, but I can still see them winning at least 8 games and probly sneaking in the playoffs this year. If they beat Westfall this week, they will most certainly make the postseason.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Agree with bleeding red. you can get mad all you want but its not the young men's fault for going out strapping up their helmet and giving it a shot. At least root for the kids. They see this board way more than any other coach would, if coaches look at all.

Go Burg!

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Back to talking about the actual game....

Minford is averaging over 32 points per game and only giving up 11.

Portsmouth is averaging just over 19 and giving up over 32.

This game is there for the taking for my Falcons. If they come out and execute, keep mental mistakes and turnovers at a minimum, they can win.

Return to “Football”