Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

Post by Ironman92 »

85cruiser wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Jackson is small in coverage but they do pretty well on the bigger guys more often than not. Our 5'8 DB had 2 picks on the 6'3 receiver for Athens.
While both of those picks came from under thrown passes, I agree the DB had very good ball awareness. GO IRONMEN and win your next 6 games.
They were underthrown a bit...but both interceptions were either in the endzone or in the endzone and both were at full extension with the ball also to be caught by the much larger receiver...both times Osborne came out the hero.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Dundas wrote:Must win for Jackson in terms of playoffs. 3 losses hasn't been enough to get in the last few years in this region and I'm not so sure Jackson runs the table in the SEOAL this season. I'm not saying they won't win it, but its more balanced this year imo.
I believe Taft got in in this region last season as the #8 at 7-3. The region had 6 or 7 undefeated teams last season and already is down to just 5 I believe after 4 weeks. Jackson could get in at 7-3 but I wouldn't chance it.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I see what you're saying atown.. but looking at the schedule, Taft beat two teams with winning records and a couple others just below. Jackson hasn't beaten a team that will have a winning record yet and only has, imo, two opponents left that will finish above. 500. Weelersburg and Gallia Academy ..thus my opinion that this is a must win.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

even though they have not be to accurate. especially with us considering they had us going 3-7 losing our first five games here it it. I'm gonna say burg by 21

cal preps:

Wheelersburg 22
Jackson 17

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

The post-season will take care of itself if Jackson takes care of business. All they can do is win, and hope that things work out. Granville, Athens, Burg, and GAHS were the potential sources for big-time computer points. Two of those games are now losses, which means zero computer points. With the SEOAL struggling in the non-conference, and two chances for a lot of computer points already gone, making it in even at 8-2 is probably pretty unlikely. Beating Wheelersburg and winning the SEOAL has to be the focus at this time.

Seems like the questions from the Burg fans have already been answered, but I'll give my take also. Defensively, Jackson is pretty tough. They're not that big on the defensive side of the ball, but they're fast and aggressive. The first string didn't really give up any points the first two weeks, and they've limited two explosive spread offenses to 21 points each. If healthy, the Jackson defense should be a tough test for Burg's version of the spread. Jackson has struggled offensively. The O-Line has good size, but they haven't performed to expectations to this point in the season. The Ironmen are young and/or inexperienced at almost all the skill positions, but they do have Morgan Landrum (who was limited against Athens due to sickness) back at FB, Reagan Williams and Jacob Betschel sharing time at TE and several receivers who saw playing time last year.

I don't think Jackson has overscheduled. In fact, they needed to have games like the last two weeks on the schedule because they were a #7 seed at 10-0 last year. It just so happens that the Ironmen came out on the short end of the stick against two of the better football teams that anyone in this area will see all season. The Ironmen certainly haven't played to their potential, but they haven't exactly been bad either. In order to win at Wheelersburg, the offense will have to get going and the defense will have to correct the few mistakes that they have made in the two losses. Jackson can be a very tough test for the Pirates if they play their game.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Although I usually pick locally, I have to give Jackson the close win in this one. It should make for an interesting game none the less.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I'll take burg by 7. I think the no huddle offense give Jackson some problems early.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson has faced a no huddle offense the last two weeks. Burg's offense may still give them problems, but they've actually performed pretty well against that type of offense so far this season.

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

When L Hall sees the no huddle and I think he has, he will have a answer for it. Burg better pull some new wrinkles out of the bag to survive .

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

This game will be worth the price of admission , think this Valley fan will be in attendance should be a hard fought battle ! Taking the Burg and go SOC2 !

Carter
Riding the Bench

Post by Carter »

Pirates get better each week. Burg wins again.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Think the Pirates will wear Jackson out. Jacksons tounges will be dragging the ground in the 3rd quarter. Burg wins 28-20.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

This is another tough team for Jackson to hammer it out with. Unless something changes on offense, I'm afraid I have to go with Burg on this one. Even on defense, I'm seeing uncovered areas where the QB's are picking up 6-8 yards before being tackled. Open field tackling is another area that needs some work also with Jackson.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

firecracker wrote:This is another tough team for Jackson to hammer it out with. Unless something changes on offense, I'm afraid I have to go with Burg on this one. Even on defense, I'm seeing uncovered areas where the QB's are picking up 6-8 yards before being tackled. Open field tackling is another area that needs some work also with Jackson.
I'll agree with you on open field tackling completely. Missed tackles against the athletes from Granville and Athens have cost Jackson dearly.

Burrow hurt Jackson a lot with his legs, and I'm sure Burg is thinking Miller will do the same. That's the problem with defending a spread team that has great athletes on the outside and a mobile QB. It's basically impossible to account for everything or everyone on every single play. Jackson has held two offenses that average well over 40 points per game on a regular basis to only 21 points. In my opinion, while there are certainly improvements that can be made on the defensive side of the ball, that is the least of Jackson's problems. They simply need the offensive line to block someone, and put some points on the board.

Huey
Waterboy

Post by Huey »

I think that if the Miller boys stay healthy, they will pull this one out!!! I say The Burg by 2 touchdowns. When you go to The Burg, you are down 7 before kick-off. And I think they will double that spread!!!

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Ironmen32
JV Team

Post by Ironmen32 »

Hard for the O-Line to block and move people with 8-9 people in the box, I know Coach Hall's been trying to spread it out, but with no threat of a passing game, why even move. In my opinion the most important thing would be to get the passing game going, after we become more balanced, that will take a few people out of the box, creating more running room.

I'm taking Jackson, will be a good, low scoring, hard-hitting Football game

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson threw the ball 20 times against Athens. Some of those were late when they HAD to throw the ball, but I think Coach Hall was attempting more than enough passes to keep the defense honest. He also tried spreading out the defense to create running lanes for Rafferty. Dropped passes were a big issue last week, but I think Rafferty threw the ball very well. Not having Landrum hurt the running game as well, but I think the Ironmen can do a much better job up front because I have seen them do it before.

There have definitely been times when there have been 8 or 9 in the box, especially against Granville, but the offensive line has to be more consistent. In the second half against Granville, they played very well, even with the defense stacking the box. I'm not trying to lay all the blame on the offensive line, I'm just saying that moving the football starts with them. If they play well, Jackson is gonna score points. If they don't, well, then the Ironmen will struggle to put points on the board.

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

Burg at home in a close one

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

nutronron2012 wrote:Think the Pirates will wear Jackson out. Jacksons tounges will be dragging the ground in the 3rd quarter. Burg wins 28-20.
i here faking cramps is pretty good at getting your team a breather during a game.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

A-Town Big Dog Stated: "It's the same Jackson philosophy, big O-line and they'll line up and try to run you over."

This isn't the case thus far, we run many formations and TRY to run long traps and trickery in order to show the big play potiential. I believe when Jackson cuts O-line splits down, lets lineman block down-hill, and run Landrum 25 times a game, with occational McCorkle, Griffiths, Rafferty and a slant or skinny post; we will see a good offensive attack. Offense Needs a good 15 play drive that goes for about 70 or 75 yards with the O-line leading the way. Bigger, slower lineman need to block downhill.

Best of luck this week Ironman, be ready offense for another athletic defense.

Lets get a win in the BURG!!!

Return to “Football”