logan football

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Re: logan football

Post by trubbguru »

Just thought i"d throw in my 2 cents worth. Lots of great post on the condition of Logan football and as this is a free country people are entitled to their comments. Mine being I have for several years had a very good rapport with the players ,and to find some inside you must go inside. The main reason I have found that the football program is on the decline believe it or not is not because of coach wolfe. I have found that a majority of the players like and respect him. Now you know that some of the Johnnies don't but it's that way with every coach. In the coaches eyes some Johnnies are better than others but thats not what some Johnnies or their parents see , so now you see where i'm coming from with this comment. That being said the kids tell me it's who coach Wolfe has surrounded himself with, his other coaches. I believe these kids for I myself have heard what spills out of some of these coaches mouths at practice and during games and I can't blame them one bit for not wanting to play for them. I know it's football but coaches to get respect from the players they must first respect the players and I for one don't see this happening or will ever happen with some of his assistants. Kids have changed they nolonger want to be cussed at called names and belittled. This is nolonger the 70s 80s there is more to do now with every kid owning a car it seems and cell phones and game boards and a lot more room to roam. So maybe lets give Mr. Wolfe a little slack but with out changes around him I see no end to Logans drought. And lets be real the talent pool here is just not what it has been. So people listen with your ears not your eyes and you may hear that this game is about the kids not some coach who thinks he knows all. Woody Hayes once said and we all know he may have been the most arrogant coach of all time ( Good coaches surround themselve with GREAT assistants) And I for one am glad my boy never had to play for this bunch.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

noreply66 wrote:When Ironton changed coaches a few years back didn't they have a off year? When they brought the old coach back they were back on track. Nelsonville is winning under this coach but is he taking the Buckeyes to the next step like the other coach? Ironton and Nelson/York are winning but how far have they been going after game 10?

noreply-----actually the year that coach lutz left and coach triplett took over,
we still actually made the playoffs , and lost i think to new albany, who i knew was a bad draw. they were nothing but tough. and that was in like 2006, since then new albany has moved up i think 2 divisions.i think we lost like 10-0, or 10-7.

actually unless you've studied ironton football since 1972, ironton has only missed the playoffs a few years
and have been to 8 state championship games. so when ironton gets to the playoffs , there is a pretty good chance, you better have hundreds of dollars set aside for gas.you saw ironton there at logan recently in the playoffs.and coach lutz retired last year as the winningest coach in the state of ohio. and ironton is still rolling on undefeated.

i understand not always changing coaches but you have to change the culture somehow. whether it is coach's, kids not coming out, poor weightrooms, whatever.ironton is definately old school, no beards , facial hair, hair couldn't touch the top of ears, very hard physical fitness, and grueling schedules. but the key to bob lutz's success is summed up right here. it didn't matter if your daddy was a millionaire, or on welfare, the best 11 were always on the field.just because your daddy might have run the school board didn't mean anything.and if you lost a game, you knew you were in for it big time. the fans were great, and still are . and it didn't matter if you played in akron, er mexico. we still usually had more fans than the home team.i'm not saying they are the best team in ohio-ever. but you look at their success , especially since 1972 when they started having state playoffs. and you can just about see them every year.and you look at the overall winningest programs in the state of ohio, you'll find us right up there too.and then look at the ones above us, they are generally catholic schools, that have a huge metroplolis of a city to draw from. simply put ironton has a tradition of winning because of several reasons.they ain't affraid to play anybody. even in the losses you learn. they don't beat somebody 66-0 without playing everybody. when the game is getting out of control, they get the starters out and play everybody.so these kids no what is going on when their time comes. and yes , many of these games were against logan. a community that dwarfed us sizewise. but you can measure a man's heart.

IRONTON FOOTBALL RESPECT EVERYBODY------FEAR NOBODY.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I REMEMBER MANY PEOPLE SAYING, SEE WHAT IRONTON IS LIKE WHEN COACH LUTZ STEPS DOWN.
AS AMAZING A COACH AS HE IS WE ARE STILL GETTING IT DONE, IRONTON FOOTBALL IS IRONTON FOOTBALL, IT'S IN OUR BLOOD.AND ALWAYS WILL BE, AND NEXT YEAR WE'LL BE DIVISION 5. BUT DON'T LOOK FOR US TO DROP THE BISHOP WATTERSONS, THE BISHOP HARTLEYS, THE CAPES, THE DESALES, ETC, ETC. THAT MADE IRONTON FOOTBALL WHAT IS IS. I LONG FOR THE IRONTON/LOGAN SERIES TO START BACK UP.NOW YA'LL GOTTA PURPLE UP IN LOGAN. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, AND RESTORE THE PRIDE OF A ONCE PROUD CHIEFTAIN NATION.
------TIME TO COWBOY UP.BAIT.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

You're Tiger Bait » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am

Ironton 2012
8/24 A Wheelersburg (3-1) [5:19] W 32-27
8/31 A Russell (KY) (2-2) [4:0] W 47-21
9/7 H Gallia Academy (2-2) [3:12] W 14-13
9/14 H Ashland Blazer (KY) (4-1) [2:0] W 27-17
9/21 A Portsmouth (1-3) [4:15]
9/28 A Johnson Central (KY) (3-1)
10/5 H Bishop Watterson (3-1) [3:10]
10/12 H Bishop Hartley (4-0) [4:14]
10/19 A Oak Hill (4-0) [5:19]

I WAS LOOKING AT IRONTON'S SCHEDULE, AND REMAINING SCHEDULE
TO DATE IRONTON'S OPPONENTS HAVE
15 WINS AGAINST 6 LOSSES
AND THE COMBINED TOTAL OF THE WINS AND LOSSES , PRIOR TO THE IRONTON/PORTSMOUTH GAME IS
IRONTON'S OPPONENTS ARE
26 WINS AGAINST 11 LOSSES------WITH 3 OF THEM BELONGING TO PORTSMOUTH, FOR WHATEVER PURPOSE THIS SERVES, IT'S PRETTY COOL.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Week 5 (4-0) Ironton @ (1-3) Portsmouth

by fbfever9 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:59 am

Interesting Harbin points stat after wk4. Ironton (10.2000) has the 6th highest average in the state, regardless of Division. 4 are in DI (Dublin Coffmann, Olentangy, Cincy Moeller, and Cincy Sycamore). 1 is in DII (Toledo Cent. Catholic).

HOWEVER, Ironton's average is INCORRECT. I have emailed Joe Eitel. He has Ironton's L2 divisor at 100. It should be at 90 - due to their open date. SO, if recalculated with the correct L2 divisor, Ironton's adjusted average is 10.8056. This is good for 3rd best; only behind Cincy Moeller (11.5000) and Dublin Coffmann (11.1500). Also interesting of note, Ironton has the 2nd most L2 points (54.5) in the state, behind only Moeller (57.5).

I'VE SAID ENOUGH. I WAS ASKED TO PUT IN MY 2 CENTS HERE, ABOUT IRONTON FOOTBALL, AND I HAVE. AND I'M NOT DEGRADING ANY PROGRAM, I REALLY AIN'T, AND THAT AIN'T MY INTENTION.
you all were talking about ironton, using them as an example. i'm trying to show you how to breed success. it has to start from the ground up. all the way to grade school football.------check all ego's at the door.
EVERYBODY GET A CHECKUP FROM THE NECKUP, AND START OVER.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

We're all assuming Logan Football is dead and we're all arguing over the autopsy. Logan football IS NOT DEAD. It is down and fans rightly are concerned. I feel the community and the school does not consider football a lost cause. If there were no concern, that would be concerning in and of itself. If we do want to dismiss what has happened the last three years as a cycle, then we are selling short the community, the program and the kids themselves.

Logan (and Hocking county) is one of the biggest contiguous communities in SE Ohio. If we are comparing it against other districts within the state, that is one argument. But if we compare it against SE Ohio's premier schools, then we cannot dismiss the last three years (including this year's 0-4 start) records as just an anomoly. Logan should be competitive year in and out and dominate the SEOAL on a regular basis. To think otherwise is to think small.

What is the participation rate? How can that be bettered? Discipline? Conditioning? I can't speak to them but I've heard these mentioned by many. It wasn't a problem in the 90's or the 00's. What happened? Film study? Preparation? These were hallmarks of Logan teams. Dale used to say he may be out-coached but never out-worked. How do the current coaches stack up time-wise in preparation? It is not an indictment, merely a question. Do they sacrifice like the former staff did during football season? I remember a quote in the Logan Daily saying when they took over that a lot of the staff are young family guys and maybe wouldn't put in the time like the previous staff. You can look it up. That rubs off. This week it was said the players didn't play with passion-
“When I watched (film of) the Jonathan Alder game on Monday, what really made me irate was that we played our best first quarter of the year, played well (into) the second quarter, and were (yet) playing without any passion or energy,” said Logan coach Kelly Wolfe as quoted in the Logan Daily News.

If the players don't have passion, if the coaches can't inspire passion, why should the fans have any?

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

BAIT......YOU FUNNY........WHY DID YOU GUYS LEAVE THEN.......and now looking for games.....can always go to KENTUCKY-WV and play....not as good FOOTBALL as in BUCKEYE STATE....... :lol: :!:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan might be the biggest school district in the state and the magic word is [DISTRICT]

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
noreply66 wrote:When Ironton changed coaches a few years back didn't they have a off year? When they brought the old coach back they were back on track. Nelsonville is winning under this coach but is he taking the Buckeyes to the next step like the other coach? Ironton and Nelson/York are winning but how far have they been going after game 10?

noreply-----actually the year that coach lutz left and coach triplett took over,
we still actually made the playoffs , and lost i think to new albany, who i knew was a bad draw. they were nothing but tough. and that was in like 2006, since then new albany has moved up i think 2 divisions.i think we lost like 10-0, or 10-7.

I believe it was Westfall we lost to that year, Bait.

actually unless you've studied ironton football since 1972, ironton has only missed the playoffs a few years
and have been to 8 state championship games. so when ironton gets to the playoffs , there is a pretty good chance, you better have hundreds of dollars set aside for gas.you saw ironton there at logan recently in the playoffs.and coach lutz retired last year as the winningest coach in the state of ohio. and ironton is still rolling on undefeated.

i understand not always changing coaches but you have to change the culture somehow. whether it is coach's, kids not coming out, poor weightrooms, whatever.ironton is definately old school, no beards , facial hair, hair couldn't touch the top of ears, very hard physical fitness, and grueling schedules. but the key to bob lutz's success is summed up right here. it didn't matter if your daddy was a millionaire, or on welfare, the best 11 were always on the field.just because your daddy might have run the school board didn't mean anything.and if you lost a game, you knew you were in for it big time. the fans were great, and still are . and it didn't matter if you played in akron, er mexico. we still usually had more fans than the home team.i'm not saying they are the best team in ohio-ever. but you look at their success , especially since 1972 when they started having state playoffs. and you can just about see them every year.and you look at the overall winningest programs in the state of ohio, you'll find us right up there too.and then look at the ones above us, they are generally catholic schools, that have a huge metroplolis of a city to draw from. simply put ironton has a tradition of winning because of several reasons.they ain't affraid to play anybody. even in the losses you learn. they don't beat somebody 66-0 without playing everybody. when the game is getting out of control, they get the starters out and play everybody.so these kids no what is going on when their time comes. and yes , many of these games were against logan. a community that dwarfed us sizewise. but you can measure a man's heart.

IRONTON FOOTBALL RESPECT EVERYBODY------FEAR NOBODY.

purpleforlife
Waterboy

Post by purpleforlife »

tonight that brand of football and leadership should be all the school board needs to act on this poor excuse of a program.im embarrassed to be a alumni.

BOBCATS77
Waterboy

Post by BOBCATS77 »

im embarrased to have you as a fellow alumni, with that attitude

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

NEW COACH, NEW DIRECTION!

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

brainmax wrote:tonight that brand of football and leadership should be all the school board needs to act on this poor excuse of a program.im embarrassed to be a alumni.
Im embarassed youre an alumni as well... :lol:

purpleforlife
Waterboy

Post by purpleforlife »

im sorry fellas it is what it is,i bleed purple to. good coaches on staff just not kelly leading it.and by way feel embarressed for you not me.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

So what happens when Logan gets rid of Wolfe.Logan will be in the same boat with no paddle...I'm telling ya its not all coaching problems..attitudes. is horrible. You should. Had double. The Fans as. NY and Logan didn't ...

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

bird78 wrote:BAIT......YOU FUNNY........WHY DID YOU GUYS LEAVE THEN.......and now looking for games.....can always go to KENTUCKY-WV and play....not as good FOOTBALL as in BUCKEYE STATE....... :lol: :!:
Simple reason it is just foorball where it was concerned.
It was all sports From volleyball to baseball and sorftball games that are not not only long distance but also on school nights.
Yes Ironton is going to KY and columbus for games but that is for football only and on a Friday night where getting home at 11 pm or midnight matters little compared as getting home at that time on a tues or thur night. So the thought Ironton ran because they couldn't win the SEOAL or beat Logan is stupid. Ironton left for not only economical reasons but also for the simple fact of the travel on school nights. Nothing more Nothing less. Sometimes it is about the Kids and not the personal reasons of Adults! As for Logan football sometimes change is good sometimes it isn't. I want to see Logan rebound and do well but the beating they took tonight to a team that is on a down year in their reguards is truly unacceptable. And I am not putting NY down so please do not take it that way. Logan football is at a turning point can they stand up and regroup or will they quit? remember it is the kids that play the game and we are only spectators but our actions do as much good as harm to any program.

BOBCATS77
Waterboy

Post by BOBCATS77 »

brainmax wrote:im sorry fellas it is what it is,i bleed purple to. good coaches on staff just not kelly leading it.and by way feel embarressed for you not me.
Nahh im alright brainmax, someone probably didnt even play football in high school; let alone any other sport , and loves monday morining quarterbacking. Just support your team and dont feel "embarrased" to be a part of a program. Is there some changes that need to be made? Of course there is, But calling for the removal of the head coach online is stupid. But thats not what truly bothers me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, its the fact that your "embarrased" to be part of the program. Shows how much you truly bleed purple.......Man up and be proud, win or lose.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If the players have an attitude get them aside and ask all the Soph. to play. They had a terrible year as 9th graders but every ball game I went to they never gave up. If the starters walk off then you know who really wants to play.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

bird78 wrote:BAIT......YOU FUNNY........WHY DID YOU GUYS LEAVE THEN.......and now looking for games.....can always go to KENTUCKY-WV and play....not as good FOOTBALL as in BUCKEYE STATE....... :lol: :!:
Brid78 I understand your feelings! But year in and year out they are WINNERS and I proud to call Mr. Bait my Friend!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

maniac66 wrote:
Simple reason it is just foorball where it was concerned.
It was all sports From volleyball to baseball and sorftball games that are not not only long distance but also on school nights.
Yes Ironton is going to KY and columbus for games but that is for football only and on a Friday night where getting home at 11 pm or midnight matters little compared as getting home at that time on a tues or thur night. So the thought Ironton ran because they couldn't win the SEOAL or beat Logan is stupid. Ironton left for not only economical reasons but also for the simple fact of the travel on school nights. Nothing more Nothing less. Sometimes it is about the Kids and not the personal reasons of Adults! As for Logan football sometimes change is good sometimes it isn't. I want to see Logan rebound and do well but the beating they took tonight to a team that is on a down year in their reguards is truly unacceptable. And I am not putting NY down so please do not take it that way. Logan football is at a turning point can they stand up and regroup or will they quit? remember it is the kids that play the game and we are only spectators but our actions do as much good as harm to any program.

While I understand the point about long travel on school nights for other sports, did the AD and the fine people of Ironton not know the scheduling and such BEFORE they joined the SEOAL?
C'mon, you guys are better than that. Stop with the excuses!

Return to “Football”