Portsmouth West (2-3) @ Minford (5-0)

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth West (2-3) @ Minford (5-0)

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Tough test for my Falcons. Lots of talent on the West side, and they will be itching to prove it in league play. West had a bad start to the year but that is all forgotten if they can get things going in conference play.

Minford will not be able to have 4 turnovers like they did against the oaks. If they don't turn the ball over and play smart they can add another W this week.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

NewEra wrote:
14U wrote:Minford better work on their pass protection. I see 2 games coming up that they will have to pass to win. Minfords QB can not set before 2-3 defenders have him on the run, also better spread the pass around not to one player!!! A good scouter will see Minford passes to one receiver and hands off to one runningback, key on both could be for a long night. This is also for the playoffs too. Just my opinion only......Minfords a good team but could be an excellent team with those 3 things worked on. Did I mention this is the game to work on those???? Minford 35-7
If you think you can focus on just one back in the Minford rushing attack, go right ahead, you would be asking to be exposed..... Same thing goes for the WRs, Evan Howard is becoming more and more of a factor in the passing attack along with others.

If you think Minford passing attack and blocking is goood, you must be watching another team...The ball has been thrown to 1 receiver 95% of the time and the other 5 to a back. I will stop there as the next two weeks better work on pass blocking and giving the pigskin to more people or you will find out what good coaching teams will do to Minford.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Run blocking has been really good. Pass blocking needs work!
Last edited by Bleeding Red on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have to agree about the pass blocking. It has to get better. At times it was non existent against Oak Hill. Stapleton had no time to throw several times when he dropped back in the pocket. He did adjust to it after the half and kept his eyes downfield and hit his receivers but he did take hits by doing so.

I disagree about throwing to one kid. I cant find the exact stats, but I know that 4 different kids were thrown to Friday and that doesnt include any RB's. Dont know where you got that info from.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Havent seen Minford but have seen West. Have heard alot about the talent Minford has this year. Did the QB come from Portsmouth this year and is a senior?

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

14U wrote:
NewEra wrote:
14U wrote:Minford better work on their pass protection. I see 2 games coming up that they will have to pass to win. Minfords QB can not set before 2-3 defenders have him on the run, also better spread the pass around not to one player!!! A good scouter will see Minford passes to one receiver and hands off to one runningback, key on both could be for a long night. This is also for the playoffs too. Just my opinion only......Minfords a good team but could be an excellent team with those 3 things worked on. Did I mention this is the game to work on those???? Minford 35-7
If you think you can focus on just one back in the Minford rushing attack, go right ahead, you would be asking to be exposed..... Same thing goes for the WRs, Evan Howard is becoming more and more of a factor in the passing attack along with others.

If you think Minford passing attack and blocking is goood, you must be watching another team...The ball has been thrown to 1 receiver 95% of the time and the other 5 to a back. I will stop there as the next two weeks better work on pass blocking and giving the pigskin to more people or you will find out what good coaching teams will do to Minford.
Well, IMO the thing about that is we often only pass in bad situations, which will change as our level of competition we face changes. When you are dropping back to throw the football on 2nd and 3rd and long, you are obviously not going to have a lot of time. You will see the falcons incorporating more play action in the offense soon enough I would imagine, along with some more shotgun as teams prep for the falcons by putting multiple guys in the box during SOC II play. I look for the falcons to start moving the pocket as well to help stapleton's vision down the field. Also about throwing predominantly to one guy, when you have 2 wide recievers, they is only basically one choice, I also expect to see 3 to 4 WRs sets for the Falcons moving forward. This staff knows what they are doing, and will adjust as they always do, but don't read to much into our passing attack thus far. Judge us this upcoming friday and onward into SOC II play. Another thing you gotta understand is this is Stapletons 5th week in a new offense, and he didn't even get to fully participate in the off-season as he was awaiting eligibility, so often as many young QBs do, he may target a primary WR before the play starts, I saw it a little in the Oak Hill game, he is starting to go through his progressions, I believe he targeted 4 different recievers friday evening. More options and targers will emerge as he gains more rapport with his recievers as I stated previous, Evan Howard will be one of those guys you will see more often, and he is learning a new position as well and will only get better. Howard moved from QB, so this is new to him as well. Also I would not mind seeing or be surpriseed if we add Josh Parsons(falcons distance kicker) into the passing attack, the kid is around 6'4, long and athletic and I think it would benefit out passing attack to add him to the outside along with Farrar. Clark is coming around too in the new offense, he will be a factor in the 2nd half of the season.
Last edited by NewEra on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

dreamweaver wrote:Havent seen Minford but have seen West. Have heard alot about the talent Minford has this year. Did the QB come from Portsmouth this year and is a senior?
Stapleton is a junior, and his home school was Minford through 8th grade.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

No doubt Minford can run it at will with the number of backs to give it too. But the pass protection is suspect as Stapleton is never set to make a throw and is always on the run. Minford will cont to see 8 or 9 in the box to force passing to move the ball. Biggest concern is when the game is tight or behind, 75 yards from a score 1 (TO) left, there is 2:30 left in the game and its 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 15. Can they move the ball passing on every down?

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Why was Stapleton ineligible then?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

marshallman wrote:
No doubt Minford can run it at will with the number of backs to give it too. But the pass protection is suspect as Stapleton is never set to make a throw and is always on the run. Minford will cont to see 8 or 9 in the box to force passing to move the ball. Biggest concern is when the game is tight or behind, 75 yards from a score 1 (TO) left, there is 2:30 left in the game and its 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 15. Can they move the ball passing on every down?
I haven't seen Minford so I can't comment on them. But what you are saying is the same problems West has at times. When you are a running team and you run it well, teams are naturally gonna stack the box with 8. Out of this the ends are squeezing hard and linebackers are usally run blitzing. It makes it very hard to protect the qb without cutting your splits down, making it obvious your passing and/or hurting your run game. It always seemed in the past that West's pattern's were too long to develop. You just won't have 3 or 4 seconds like that against a good team. They have did better this year giving Irwin more outlets.

A-Bomb
Riding the Bench

Post by A-Bomb »

huge game for both teams...after west slow starrt sounds as if they have improved...this game will determine minfords playoff fate...with a win minford will be 8-2 at the absolute worst. if minford comes out and plays with a swagger and protects the ball they win by 2 or 3 scores..if not could be similar to the oak hill game n be decided til the last second. got faith in my falcons though!!!
Minford 27 west 13

PROUD TO BE A FALCON!!!!!!!!!!

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

I believe West is going to send a lot of Falcon fans home friday night on a bad note. West 24-17

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West is definately the underdog. Minford is supposed to be good. West hasn't played well most of the year, and it's at Minford. To stop the wing T you have to have good D-ends to stop the buck sweep first, and we have that. Inside linebacker play has come a long way since the beginning of the year, so we should be able to hold our own between the tackles. Our Defensive backs are good against the run to help on the sweeps.

Sometimes I think our safeties are too aggressive, play too close to the line of scrimmage, and loose track of tight ends and wing backs down the center of the field. So they better prepare for that waggle pass, as minford hit a couple of them the last time we played out there.

Offensively we have to spread them out. When we go to tight formations, Minford will go 5-3 against us and pack their corners into basically a 5-5 alignment. Have to be able to pass a little and get the ball outside. If we don't we'll struggle to score.
Last edited by Westfan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

NB Heat; Last time the Falcons beat the Senators was in 2009 and West holds a big edge in wins to Minford, but this season the Falcons should win.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

siderman wrote:West is definately the underdog. Minford is supposed to be good. West hasn't played well most of the year, and it's at Minford. To stop the wing T you have to have good D-ends to stop the buck sweep first, and we have that. Inside linebacker play has come a long way since the beginning of the year, so we should be able to hold our own between the tackles. Our Defensive backs are good against the run to help on the sweeps.

Sometimes I think our safeties are too aggressive, play too close to the line of scrimmage, and loose track of tight ends and wing backs down the center of the field. So they better prepare for that waggle pass, as minford hit a couple of them the last time we played out there.

Offensively we have to spread them out. When we go to tight formations, Minford will go 5-3 against us and pack their corners into basically a 5-5 alignment. Have to be able to pass a little and get the ball outside. If we don't we'll struggle to score.
From what I hear, siderman is correct. But thing is when Minford does go to the 5-3 (5-5 alignment you speak of) will West change?? A good running team can run out of multiple formations as well as pass, not just one. When you spread the field on 3rd and long it’s kinda obvious what your going to do.I have heard about and seen on here and another site many bleacher coaches say this same thing time and time again, but nothing changes. Are they that one dimensional at West ?
Unless you average 250+ across the line and have great blocking backs your not gonna be successful doing the things they like to do. Once in blue moon does that ever happen at the HS level, not to mention a D5 school.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Stick with Waverly pal, won't they let you coach there?
How many ways you going to try to put down the staff at West big guy? lol

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

not putting nobody down, heck we are 0-5. Just hate to see good talent wasted. Siderman you seem to know the team well, not sure if your a coach or not, but what I said is based off what I see. Sorry that some of you can’t handle it.

WestSideFan2002
Riding the Bench

Post by WestSideFan2002 »

Bricker And Crace both had 100 yrd games last week, and bricker had about 140 the week before and not to mention Jessie Scott is back to block for them. Irwin is getting more comfortable back behind center and Frye is playing his butt off cause he wants to go out with a bang his senior year, i just hope this boys can get a big W this week, these friday nights are running out quick youngins, before long youll be a has been like me and the rest of your supporters, we would do anything to be back in one of those jerseys, this will be a backyard brawl like any other minford west football game, all you people saying minford by 28 will be eating crow this game will come down to last play, its Soc 2 play.. Get it done West, we have the takent, Underdogs by a field goal 28-27

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:not putting nobody down, heck we are 0-5. Just hate to see good talent wasted. Siderman you seem to know the team well, not sure if your a coach or not, but what I said is based off what I see. Sorry that some of you can’t handle it.
Why you keep trolling the West threads, with all your nagging? My guess is you wouldnt know good talent if it hit you in the face..to much John Madden. Maybe Waverly could use some tips from you and your high powered offense. Just gets so predictable, all your nagging.

This game is going to come down to who makes the least mistakes. Good Luck both teams, be great to see West with the upset.

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

Never forget 2004, do not let history repeat itself....we all remember what happend the last time an undefeated Minford team played a .500 or barely under .500 Portsmouth West team.

Return to “Football”