Week 6: Wellston (2-3) @ Athens (4-1)

A-Town Big Dog
S

Week 6: Wellston (2-3) @ Athens (4-1)

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Thoughts?

thechosenone
Varsity

Re: Week 6: Wellston (2-3) @ Athens (4-1)

Post by thechosenone »

As much as it pains me to say this you as an athens fan knows whats gonna happen in this game. Athens way to much for the rockets.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dogs by a bunch!!!!!

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

IMO the Rockets crash and burn. Athen by a bunch.

Hugh Jase
Freshman Team

Post by Hugh Jase »

Athens should keep clicking along

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

Athens takes this one. I think Wellston coming in off a high scoring win will have them jacked up ready to play. It's hard to determine where the Wellston team is at this point considering who they have played so far. Their defense looks to be able to hold off a blowout and their offense seems to score against anyone, I just don't know if they have seen an offense that Athens uses, if not, Athens by a bunch.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Bulldogs roll in this one !!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Wellston's defense will need to be near perfect to slow down an Athens squad averaging 50 pts. per game and have put up over 60 three times and while the defense struggled the first two games giving up 50+ in each, they have only given up 14 points in each of their last three contests.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Athens big IMO

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Rockets will be practicing hard and ready to play.

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

athens lost to gallia 3-2 now and won over 1-4 watkins mem. 2-3 warren 2-3 jackon 1-4 waverly imo athens because they have not played any team with a winning record is still in question as to how good they really are.. but wellston is the only team untill week 10 that could even give athens any trouble but untill athens plays a team with a secondary defense they wont know how good they really are.. i do think they will be in the playoffs but will see a secondary that will match them and could end their run early.. athens def. is not great so any team that can score can stay in it and win..but good luck to both teams i say athens wins by 30 points unless wellston has a defense better then the waverlys and warrens and wat. mem... by the way it was nice seeing athens county go 4-0 last week

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You have to pay attention to who Gallia, Jackson and Watkins lost to ... some very stout competition!

Gallia could have played a soft schedule and be 5-0 - and then the perception changes dramatically ... they lost to an undefeated Ironton team 14-13 on the road at Tank Stadium (and could have won, they went for the 2-pt conversion and lost) ... they lost to an undefeated Licking Heights team, who is 2nd in Division 2, region 7!

Jackson lost to Athens (4-1), Granville (4-1) and Wheelersburg (4-1).

Watkins memorial has lost to Athens (4-1), Licking heights (5-0), Mifflin (4-1), Mt. Vernon (4-1).

* Looking at all the scores - almost all of them were pretty good games with the exception of Jackson/Wheelersburg.

AGAIN, RECORDS CAN BE VERY DECIEVING.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckeyeguy wrote:athens lost to gallia 3-2 now and won over 1-4 watkins mem. 2-3 warren 2-3 jackon 1-4 waverly imo athens because they have not played any team with a winning record is still in question as to how good they really are
Just to throw some 'fuel-on-the-fire' ... Watkins, Warren, Jackson are light years better than River Valley, Berne Union & Logan ......... :mrgreen:

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

buckeyeguy wrote:athens lost to gallia 3-2 now and won over 1-4 watkins mem. 2-3 warren 2-3 jackon 1-4 waverly imo athens because they have not played any team with a winning record is still in question as to how good they really are.. but wellston is the only team untill week 10 that could even give athens any trouble but untill athens plays a team with a secondary defense they wont know how good they really are.. i do think they will be in the playoffs but will see a secondary that will match them and could end their run early.. athens def. is not great so any team that can score can stay in it and win..but good luck to both teams i say athens wins by 30 points unless wellston has a defense better then the waverlys and warrens and wat. mem... by the way it was nice seeing athens county go 4-0 last week
I think many of the same things can be said about N-Y, two loses at home to D6 schools while the three teams they've beat have combined for a 1 point victory over Southern. That's all I'm going to say on this subject, lets keep the rest of this post on Athens/Wellston and leave the whizzing contest for week 10.
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:You have to pay attention to who Gallia, Jackson and Watkins lost to ... some very stout competition!

Gallia could have played a soft schedule and be 5-0 - and then the perception changes dramatically ... they lost to an undefeated Ironton team 14-13 on the road at Tank Stadium (and could have won, they went for the 2-pt conversion and lost) ... they lost to an undefeated Licking Heights team, who is 2nd in Division 2, region 7!

Jackson lost to Athens (4-1), Granville (4-1) and Wheelersburg (4-1).

Watkins memorial has lost to Athens (4-1), Licking heights (5-0), Mifflin (4-1), Mt. Vernon (4-1).

* Looking at all the scores - almost all of them were pretty good games with the exception of Jackson/Wheelersburg.

AGAIN, RECORDS CAN BE VERY DECIEVING.
Very true!

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Obviously Buckeyeguy, the records are not the full story...

The Schedule can be a tricky thing...but,

Athens is (4-1), played some very good teams (Galia, Watkins, Warren, Jackson, Waverly) Breakdown, (1 DI, 1DII, 2 DIII, 1DIV).
Athens has had to go to Watkins Memorial and Jackson and win in hostile stadiums...this is important because Athens will have to travel to Alexander, Meigs and Nelsonville this year...that is why Athens is at (t3) in the Play-Off Rankings and Galia, who beat Athens in Week I is at 6th...

By winning, Athens has found themselves in the driver's seat!
1. Currently sit Tied for 3rd in Division III, Region 12...win out and they host another Play-Off game.
2. Win out, they hold onto the Ohio Division Crown along with the Doc Kroner Trophy.
3. Have a favorable schedule to finish the season.

Athens gets a Wellston team on the rise, but the Rockets have to come to Athens. They have to face an offense that is clicking on all-cylinders and a defense that has sured up some holes from Weeks I & II that has everyone here in Athens excited to see where this team could go. No one expected these young sophomores to step up so early like they have, and many thought we would not see this kinda play until next year. We have not seen an Offense like this at Athens since the days Grant Gregory was under center, with wide-outs like Corey Champlin, Jeremy Sebring, Ryan Mingus and Chris Hewitt.

If i were a Defensive Coordinator, I would have a headache trying to gameplan against the Athens Offense. With Burrows arms and legs, and trying to decide how to cover 2 6'4 Wr's in the Luehrman Bros., what do you have left to try and cover the speedsters Schwartzel & McIntosh at Wr and Williams from the backfield. Athens must take care of the ball. When they have the ball, they are tough to stop.

Hugh Jase
Freshman Team

Post by Hugh Jase »

I really think buckeyeguy is for Ohio state buckeyes if you look back through his post. But is was interesting to see the athens poster ass-u-me he was and ny guy and jump all over d5 NY... Just a thought from someone with no one is this fight. I think the Urban picture should have sent the signal. Arent they the smallest team in the tvc div you are in.
Last edited by Hugh Jase on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Stuffing the run and stopping Pitts and Hewitt was easy for teams back in 2002, 2003 ... defending Gregory and those recievers was the tough part.

:mrgreen:

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

RB- didn't jump on anybody...
My post was just an opinion off of his post.

93BDog-
That hurts brother, just hurts...remember #2 was just as dangerous at slot as he was in the Backfield...

But, now I'm gonna ask you a question...

2003 (04 Class) vs. 2012...who wins?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Very tough question questionmark ... I do however think the 2003 team could do something other teams havn't been able to do versus Athens - and that's run the ball and grind down the clock ... and if the 2003 wanted too - they could probably score with the 2012 team point for point ... I'd say the 2003 team would win 64-52 ... lol

But then again, how proud would the senior dominated 2003 team actually be - since most of the skill players on the 2012 team are just sophomores ... :)

Return to “Football”