Playoff Requirements?

A-Town Big Dog
S

Playoff Requirements?

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I know its a bit early for playoff discussions but I have to ask a question to all posters, should all venues be allowed to host playoff games? As I have traveled around Southeastern Ohio watching football of all levels from 3/4 and 5/6 teams through Varsity I have seen many stadiums over the past few seasons and I always ask myself "should this venue be allowed to host a home playoff game at the Varsity level?" I have seen some well done stadiums like Oak Hill, Logan, Nelsonville, Athens, and Jackson and even some really nice natural surface sites like Warren and Vinton Co. to name a few but, I have also seen places like Trimble, Miller and, the old stadium at Meigs during our travels and I wonder how some of these places with less than ideal seating, obstructed views from the stands, poor field condition and virtually no parking are allowed by the OHSAA to be used as a host site for state playoff games. I know that teams work hard for the oppertunity to play at home week 11 and I understand why the OHSAA allows it but should there be minimum requirements like seating and parking to keep the game at a true home site or should the OHSAA be allowed to move a game site if those requirements can't be met? It should be noted that I'm not blaming some of these smaller schools from poorer school districts for this problem, I realize that every school doesn't have the funding necessary to make changes or upgrades and they do the best they can within their limitations.

The Enforcer
SEO

Re: Playoff Requirements?

Post by The Enforcer »

Yes, We at Trimble are praying for a Tornado!!!! LOL

I wouldnt have Trimbles field any other way, To Me it is Highschool Football, not these High Dollar Stadiums

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Bish so true ..a lot of NY Fans had to sit on Athens ..home side last year..no parking..Not very good food..
Last edited by NY BUCKS on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Enforcer wrote:Yes, We at Trimble are praying for a Tornado!!!! LOL

I wouldnt have Trimbles field any other way, To Me it is Highschool Football, not these High Dollar Stadiums
Sometimes I wish we could play one game a year on the old field in McArthur. :) I miss those days of being right over the field and nowhere to sit, or stand.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I love Trimble and the people there, many of my family members played and graduated from there but you have to admit seating and parking are lacking especially in a big game situation. Again I'm not knocking on these schools, just asking if there is a better way? I didn't start this to anger people but I knew some would take it the wrong way and get defensive just the nature of things on here, everone thinks the worst when reading a post.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

If the state. Would step in and move all games to a netural site no home game and no teams going 8 miles. And the team they play drives over 100 one way...to beat that they made the #1 team make the drive.....SEVERAL TIMES..

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

The playoff system now in effect is the fairest system they have had. The teams playing at home in week 11 have earned the right to be playing at home. That is why it's called a home field advantage. To the Victors goes the spoils!!!! If you want to play at home you need to earn it.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

noles_fan wrote:The playoff system now in effect is the fairest system they have had. The teams playing at home in week 11 have earned the right to be playing at home. That is why it's called a home field advantage. To the Victors goes the spoils!!!! If you want to play at home you need to earn it.
I agree, but some of the regions are spread out way to much. VC traveled almost 4 hours to their last playoff game. That's just ridiculous.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I love the home field advantage and think the kids should be rewarded for their effort but is it fair for fans who are in most cases already traveling a great distance to be forced into a location with no parking or seating at all? I guess I just feel that everyone paying the OHSAA for tickets should be entitled to a similar experience, maybe I'm in the minority.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

I think Gallipolis has some of the worst parking in southern Ohio. By the end of the year the field looks like a auction yard for livestock.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Ahh Road Trips are a good time, I enjoy them as a fan, get a group of your buddies, load up the vehicles and take off for an evening of playoff football.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

When Miller hosted week 11 playoff games two years in a row over a decade ago, bleachers were put on the track all the way around the field. They borrowed bleachers from several surrounding schools. I attended both playoff games and there was not an issue with seating or parking. Miller has a lot of empty grass space on the other side of the school and behind the school. Not sure where all people parked, but they all found a spot without parking on the state highway running past the school.

I have seen some grass fields that were a mess week 11. There was plenty of seating and parking though.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:I love Trimble and the people there, many of my family members played and graduated from there but you have to admit seating and parking are lacking especially in a big game situation. Again I'm not knocking on these schools, just asking if there is a better way? I didn't start this to anger people but I knew some would take it the wrong way and get defensive just the nature of things on here, everone thinks the worst when reading a post.
Parkng isnt an issue if You park on the school side and walk across the foot bridge

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Typical BIGHITS-
Always taking someone's post and twisting into fight between schools...

ATOWN Dog 2 simply asked a question and you go and make it about Athens vs. the World and your Arrogance reply shows your lack of intelligence.

To ANSWER the question that was posted:

No, I do not think the OHSAA should intervene in anyway preventing a Team that has earned a 1-4 Ranking in their respected Division/Region from hosting a Play-Off game. They have earned the right to have the advantage of playing at home, hosting the game at their venue, and enjoying what will be for most of them the best time of their lives. Also, it is great for a community.

Something the OHSAA does need to improve on are the Rounds after that. They need to look at the two schools who are playing each other respectfully and pick a destination equally between the schools (to the best of their ability and based of the facilities). Plenty of quality facilities in the State these days...

Lastly, Find it hard to believe it was hard for you BIGHITS and NYBUCKS to find a parking space when Athens has the three-level parking spaces by the school and the overflow lot over by the baseball field. Maybe the walk was just a little too much, heck it is even downhill, c'mon man!...and the last comment about the visitor side bleachers is just funny, they are the same size as the visiting bleachers a Boston Field...but that is enough about Play-Offs...it is only Week VI.

Ny92
Freshman Team

Post by Ny92 »

The new fields are great. Schools that have them should be very proud. I do love the old fields with their character and history though. Loved the hill top in logan and the stadium at meigs. Trimble is a different story though. i played on it many times and have attended many games even the field is bad.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I actually think when it gets closer to regional finals the state should try and hold them on some of the smaller college stadiums. Such as OU, Kent, Toledo, Miami just to name a few. Play the games on fridays not to interfer with the school games. You cant believe the atmosphere that would create. But it would never happen because the state cant make any money.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

top 4 earned the right to host, after that I'm not sure they shouldn't shedule the next games based on the proximity the teams are located from each other. Two teams 15 minutes apart driving 2 hrs to play other teams seems kind of silly.

fbfever9
Freshman Team

Post by fbfever9 »

questionmark wrote:
Something the OHSAA does need to improve on are the Rounds after that. They need to look at the two schools who are playing each other respectfully and pick a destination equally between the schools (to the best of their ability and based of the facilities). Plenty of quality facilities in the State these days...
? ,
the only problem is the new(er) rule that all playoff games after round 1 of the playoffs must be:
a) at a site that has turf
b) at a site that has applied for and been approved of hosting

I get the point though. I remember in 99 when Ironton (I believe they were a 6 seed), played Germantown Valley View (7 or 8 seed) in the regional finals ..... @ Cincy Princeton. 40 minutes for GVV, nearly 4 hours for Ironton.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

I think this is high school football. It's about the game, not the fans or field. Team's earns the right to host a playoff game. If it is good enough for the regular season, why would the playoffs be any different? Stop complaining and go (or not go) to the game. Besides the OHSAA and the schools don't need an excuse to spend more money..

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

The current set-up is perfect. 1-4 should get a home game.
2nd round should be at a neutral site with a little more effort given to equidistant travel for both.

Return to “Football”