Week 7: Athens (5-1)(1-0) @ Alexander (3-3)(1-0)

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

A-Town Big Dog
S

Week 7: Athens (5-1)(1-0) @ Alexander (3-3)(1-0)

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens picked up win number five against Wellston last week while Alexander outlasted Vinton County to even their record on the season. Thoughts or predictions?
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Week 7: Athens (5-1)(1-0) @ Alexander (3-3)(1-0)

Post by Steely Dan »

Even if Alexander plays a perfect game (no turnovers or penalties), I do not see the Spartan's offense having much success against the Bulldog defense. Alexander is also going to have difficulty defending against Athen's passing attack, I just don't see them being able to contain Athen's outstanding QB and those shifty receivers. Alex plays a mistake free game, I'll say Athens by 14. Alex plays error-prone again as they have in numerous contests this year, big ugly, Athens wins going away.

So, I'm picking Athens. Good luck to both teams, play hard and injury free.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I haven't seen Alexander at all this season and the fans on here haven't been saying much about the team or key players on it, anyone have some insight?

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Athens Big

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Athens 70- Alex 7
Too much offense for everyone in the Ohio to prepare for in just 1 week.
Athens makes it 1 step closer to back to back league titles and a home playoff game.

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

You thinkn like my score gecko so i will go with 66-6. Need down pour of rain all game so score can be lower maybe.Athens rolls through TVC and goes 9-1 makes playoffs, advances to 2nd rd before they play a team of their caliber.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Athens will win easily.......

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Steely Dan wrote:Even if Alexander plays a perfect game (no turnovers or penalties), I do not see the Spartan's offense having much success against the Bulldog defense. Alexander is also going to have difficulty defending against Athen's passing attack, I just don't see them being able to contain Athen's outstanding QB and those shifty receivers. Alex plays a mistake free game, I'll say Athens by 14. Alex plays error-prone again as they have in numerous contests this year, big ugly, Athens wins going away.

So, I'm picking Athens. Good luck to both teams, play hard and injury free.
14 by the end of the 1st quarter? Maybe

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

With all the hype and excitement about just how well The dogs are doing this season, and with Alexander struggling like they are with a young team , I'm a little surprized that this game actually had a poll to see who wins ....
I'll will be rooting for my Spartans no matter what the outcome and hoping for a good injury free game.
I am glad to see a county team putting up awesome #s from their O, but sure wish it was the Spartans.
Good luck to both teams

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Athens big here. Lets not kid ourselves (like nelsonbuchtel) no one will beat Athens this year in the league.After seeing them play their offense is pretty good even for teams D-3 the defense however is not they will have to out score people in the playoffs. Good luck to Alexander tho I would love to see a upset here. The BIG fish will eat the little fishes in this small pond. :oops:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

boilermaker wrote:Athens big here. Lets not kid ourselves (like nelsonbuchtel) no one will beat Athens this year in the league.After seeing them play their offense is pretty good even for teams D-3 the defense however is not they will have to out score people in the playoffs. Good luck to Alexander tho I would love to see a upset here. The BIG fish will eat the little fishes in this small pond. :oops:
Was Athens the little fish, middle fish or big fish when it beat Jackson, Warren and Watkins Memorial?

just curious.

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

I say middle fish! Now that league is in play they grew to big fish. :o

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Those schools are your size , read my post . Warren is the only one you handled easily . Had to out score the other two . Warren is not very good for their size. YOU ARE A Big school compared to all but VC and they are a county school. Just a observation .

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Yea, we see how well the Big Fish of the SEOAL (Logan) has been doing the past 3 years...(although I will give them props for getting that monkey off their back winning game one on the season and breaking that 13 game losing streak.)

Don't care what Division these teams are whether it is DIII or DIV or DV. The only Division that matters is THE OHIO DIVISION...

These schools hate each other, have had some great battles recently and are both trying to get a League Title and Play-Off trip...

Coach Adams will have his Dogs pumped and focus and I would not expect anything less from Coach Arno and his Spartans...

Should be a full house out there in Sparta!

nybucksgrad06
JV Team

Post by nybucksgrad06 »

This game won't be close, Athens has to much offensive power for alexander this game will be over by halftime!

I do hope for an injury free ballgame for both teams! Go TVC!

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

It's funny how people use the Big fish excuse in southeastern Ohio when it's really not much of a factor down here. It's the current talent level you build upon and the coaching of the players that really matters. Athens does not have a roster of super sized athletes. Just your average SE Ohio teenage sized football players.

From various posts:
Athens wins over Warren (the bigger fish) but Warren is just not good for it's size.
Athens wins over Watkins (the bigger fish) but our defense was lacking so we had to outscore them.
Nelsonville wins over Logan (the bigger fish) but it's because Logans program is down.
Nelsonville (the bigger fish) loses to Trimble and NC (the smaller fishes) because not all of their players were eligible. etc.etc.

Nelsonville is and has been a prime example of well coached and talented athletes, they are 3 divisions below Logan, yet Athens is only 2 divisions above the smallest teams in the TVC.

Did Wellston D4 win over Rock Hill D5 (currently 0-6) because Wellston is the bigger fish or did Wellston lose to Oak Hill D5 (currently 5-1) because of talent? The Big fish theory just doesn't jive in SE Ohio, only to those looking for excuses.

Athens is just having a current run of talented extremely well coached players.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

boilermaker wrote:Those schools are your size , read my post . Warren is the only one you handled easily . Had to out score the other two . Warren is not very good for their size. YOU ARE A Big school compared to all but VC and they are a county school. Just a observation .
Somebody is still mad.....................

you can run your mouth about us after we drop the hammer on you guys this week

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridiron fan »

Food for Thought.

Strength of Schedule Rating (source: Drew Pastuer's http://www.fantastic50.net/Ohio.php website)
Logan: .622
Jackson .587
Gallia: .560
Athens: 0.517
Warren: .424
Meigs: .381
Wellston: .376
Vinton County: .341
Nelsonville: .307
Alexander: .195
Trimble: .143
Federal Hocking .032

* Strength-of-schedule is based only on previous regular-season games against OHSAA opponents, not including future games, playoff games, or contests against non-OHSAA teams.

catsandbucks
Riding the Bench

Post by catsandbucks »

Athens will not win by less than 30 points the rest of the season until the last game. Athens is improved but TVC is bad bad bad. Like always, we will see how good A-town is when it comes to week 11.

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridiron fan »

Like always? Athens has only reached the playoffs twice in the schools history. Maybe that should read A-County instead of A-town?

Personally, I'm pulling for any Athens County team to advance beyond round 1 of the playoffs.

Return to “Football”