Week 7: Nelsonville-York (4-2, 1-0) @ Wellston (2-4, 0-1)

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

nybucksgrad06
JV Team

Re: Week 7: Nelsonville-York (4-2, 1-0) @ Wellston (2-4, 0-

Post by nybucksgrad06 »

LET'S GO BUCKEYES!

Hoping for an injury free game!

BUCKS WIN BIG!

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

NY BUCKS wrote:Out of all teams in the tvc ohio ...wellston ( coalton ) Yellow rockets..is one of hardest places to play you have to score 6 times to to get 1 td..lets see tonight how many get called back...Sorry the truth is the truth...
told ya TRUTH ........STATE NEEDS TO STEP IN

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

score?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

NY BUCKS wrote:Out of all teams in the tvc ohio ...wellston ( coalton ) Yellow rockets..is one of hardest places to play you have to score 6 times to to get 1 td..lets see tonight how many get called back...Sorry the truth is the truth...

I agree 100%. Ask Gallia Academy why they dont play Wellston anymore.

buckeye_nut
Waterboy

Post by buckeye_nut »

With emotions high, because of the Young boys..lets just say the refs took over......ill go on record to say...between the two teams there was 40 flags for 400 yards, if not more....game lasted till after 10pm!!

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Look at the time of my first post on this game.. The league and the STATE needs to STEP IN it's starting to look like if we can't beat ya were gonna cheat ya..Truth..is the truth..Everytime NY PLAYS AT THAT DUMP..

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

What was the final score? Or at least, who won?

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

N-Y 33
Wellston 6

I believe that is the score I heard on the radio.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I have seen a couple different posts that said it was a state record for penalties or penalty yards tonight. Someone even said they announced it during the game. If that is the case Wellston and the TVC should be embarrassed about the whole situation. That is not fair to the kids on BOTH teams. It hurts the game and it hurts the reputation of the kids who had no part in choosing the officials for the game. Neither team probably has dirty players. They have players who play hard, and if a flag is thrown on a hustle play, then the kids are not going to try to make those plays anymore, and that is not fair.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

NY BUCKS wrote:Look at the time of my first post on this game.. The league and the STATE needs to STEP IN it's starting to look like if we can't beat ya were gonna cheat ya..Truth..is the truth..Everytime NY PLAYS AT THAT DUMP..

It was just lipstick on a pig as some other poster said weeks ago.

Let me guess.....did one of the officials very overweight and have thick black glasses?

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Something. Has to be done.if. how many times does this have to happen before it turns into a brawl and people get fed up with this at wellston..

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

That is exactly why the schools shouldn't be hiring the refs, they should be assigned by the OHSAA.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Why doesnt their league have a coordinator who schedules officiating crews for the league games?

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Something not right..Every time we go there its the same thing...its getting. Old..

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

The game report of this game will appear in Sunday's Messenger.

It will also be online this morning at http://www.timesjournal.com.

As for the penalties:

Nelsonville-York had 13 for 135 yards with 6 of those being personal fouls.

Wellston had 12 penalties for 123 yards with 5 of those being personal fouls and 3 others were 10-yarders.

I'm contacting the OHSAA about most combined penalties in a single game to see if it meets any state records.

Also, thoughts and prayers go out to the 3 Wellston players which were injured on Friday, including the two carried out on stretchers.

Dylan Faught was screaming in pain on the Wellston sideline at the end of the first half. It was his hip in his kicking leg.

Ryan Matthews — Coach Hutchinson told me — suffered what he believed to be a broken tibia. They put the air splint on him before carrying him out.

3 Wellston players in 2 games carried out on stretchers. Unreal amount of injuries this year.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Allow me to get on my soapbox here for a moment...

In interest of full disclosure, I was not at this game so I cannot speak on specifics.

First, let me say that this isn't about NY-Wellston or its fans, but an issue statewide. The Nelsonville fans can claim its always been a problem, but I've heard the same thing for years from the SE Ohio area about Nelsonville, Jackson, Gallia, Ironton, Timbuktu, etc. etc. etc. Essentially every away team claims the refs are homers at every game. With the schools hiring the officials the onus is on them to pick qualified people. That I'll agree on, but just because they are bad referees doesn't mean they are homers. That is highlighted by the fact that both teams were heavily penalized, so when I see posts like "If we can't beat ya we're gonna cheat ya" I simply have to laugh. If that were the case wouldn't the penalties be lopsided? The penalty stats, and score, don't back the statements.

Secondly, while you may feel they were bad calls (and I have to take your word for it as I wasn't there) nothing can be done without bringing tape to the OHSAA. Without video proof they can't take anyone's word on the subject. Also, over the years I've been to many games where I have not had a rooting interest and nearly fall on the ground laughing at the crowds. I'll see a penalty, see the flag, hear the boo's and then inevitably hear someone yell, "We can't beat the refs too!" on a totally justified call. It happens at EVERY. GAME. I die laughing. On the flip side, I've seen some atrocious calls as well. At the high school level flags are to be expected, but some officials "let them play". However, by rule a lot of these flags are right. A lot of the issue comes to refs who are too "by the book" and some who are too forgiving and allow a lot to go on.

Lastly, it's the high school level. Referees are volunteers who get certified, etc. to go out on Friday night and officiate. Not every single referee is going to be good. Too many schools for the level to remain high. Should the OHSAA continue to seek ways to educate and license officials? Absolutely. But in order to show the OHSAA the problems you need documented proof, on video, and probably good suggestions on how to solve the issue. It takes money and time to do all of this and that is resources they probably do not have. It's just a sad truth.

Fast Edit: Also, this isn't just a football issue. I've seen and heard it all at basketball, softball, baseball, volleyball, etc. games. As above, far too many schools/games for their to be a wealth of "good' officials. Going to have some lackluster officiating at this level. It's a numbers game.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

NYF
Freshman Team

Post by NYF »

25 pen for 260 yards. Not counting the ones that were declined. Feel bad for both teams.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

260 yards by both teams that is no big deal. I remember a visiting team having close to 350 yards of penalties themselves. That was a game that did not have fights in it to add personal fouls. Even the radio announcers that were local to the home team were complaining about how bad it was.

rut151
Freshman Team

Post by rut151 »

Get the heck off of your soap box and STOP taking up for this gruop of idiots. Yes officials have time and money invested, yes we all understand that officiating football is a labor of love. they don't make enoungh to cover their expenses most of the time. Having stated all that, these clowns were flingling laundry like it was a style show and they were the trend setters! What was frustrating to both teams was the fact that they were flagging everything except incidents that could actually get a player injured. Then there was the official on the N-Y sidelines that could not take the typical sideline verbal abuse from the crowd and called for the police and a.d. Really! An official that got his fellings hurt from the crowd. No question that he lives with his mommy, has his butt powdered and watches cartoons all day.

Return to “Football”