Rule for spotting ball on missed field goal

Westfan
SEOP

Rule for spotting ball on missed field goal

Post by Westfan »

I was watching a game a while ago and their were several missed field goals. I guess I thought they used the pro rule where the ball was spotted where it was kicked on a miss. But it goes to the 20. What if the kick doesn't make it to the end zone? Where is it spotted?

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Rule for spotting ball on missed field goal

Post by Dundas »

A few years ago I was at a game where a fg attempt landed short and the ball died at the 1 yard line. The referees spotted the ball on the 1 yard line. No one in the stands really knew if it was right or not. I'm assuming that's the rule though.

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

It happend in the Unioto/Huntington game last week.....I was wondering why it went to the 20! I just assumed we had replacement refs! :aaaaa21

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Post by svcbaseballfan »

If the ball is inside the 20, it goes to the 20. If it is outside the 20 it goes to the previous spot of the ball. I'm not sure though on a ball not making it to the endzone. I'm assuming thats just a bad decision to kick it in the first place.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

svcbaseballfan wrote:...I'm not sure though on a ball not making it to the endzone. I'm assuming thats just a bad decision to kick it in the first place.
This is now one of my favorite segments of any quote I've ever read on this site! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It was Jonathon alder. They had a heck of a kicker. Just short on a 57 yarder. Ball was spotted at 20. My question is why wouldn't you.try it? That's better than a punt and if it's like a kickoff, they can't return it from the endzone correct?

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

svcbaseballfan wrote:If the ball is inside the 20, it goes to the 20. If it is outside the 20 it goes to the previous spot of the ball. I'm not sure though on a ball not making it to the endzone. I'm assuming thats just a bad decision to kick it in the first place.

this is incorrect. if the ball crosses the plane of the goalline and is no good, the result is a touchback and the ball is spotted at the 20. if the kick is short of the goal line, it is treated just like a punt. it can be returned by the defensive team, or downed by the kicking team. in that case, change of possession first down at that spot for the defensive team.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

svcbaseballfan wrote:If the ball is inside the 20, it goes to the 20. If it is outside the 20 it goes to the previous spot of the ball. I'm not sure though on a ball not making it to the endzone. I'm assuming thats just a bad decision to kick it in the first place.
Wrong. This is an old NFL rule, not NFHS, which governs high school football in Ohio.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

eagledad wrote:

this is incorrect. if the ball crosses the plane of the goalline and is no good, the result is a touchback and the ball is spotted at the 20. if the kick is short of the goal line, it is treated just like a punt. it can be returned by the defensive team, or downed by the kicking team. in that case, change of possession first down at that spot for the defensive team.
This is correct.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

If you catch the field goal try in the endzone can you return it or is it dead like a kickoff?

I don't know why you would want to, but can you return a punt from the endzone?

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

siderman wrote:If you catch the field goal try in the endzone can you return it or is it dead like a kickoff?

I don't know why you would want to, but can you return a punt from the endzone?
Any kick going in the end zone is a dead ball and cannot be returned out of the end zone, this includes punts, field goals and kick-offs. This is high school that is regulated by the National Federation rule book. There are a handful of states that use NCAA rules, but Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia don't. The only thing that can be returned out of the end zone are interceptions and fumbles that roll/fly/bounce into the end zone.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

So if the field goal is short of the endzone it could be caught and returned? lol. In high school, it has probably happened somewhere.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Minford a few years back this happened, the field goal attempt was from the 10, it missed wide left, but the refs gave Piketon the ball at the 10 and it went out of the back of the endzone. Later that next week, a ref told me something I still remember, a field goal in high school is just a PUNT, that can score! lol

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

A FG is a scrimmage kick, The rules are exactly the same for a FG as a punt exxcept it can score. If the ball rolls dead at the 3 yd line that is there where the offense takes over. If the ball crosses the Goal line it is a touch back and can not be returned. If it is caught in the field of play the Defense can return it just like a punt and that is why we teach the FG unit to cover the kick like a punt.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Why aren't we kicking/trying more field goals? I thought all those 4th downs we've been going for was to try and not give the ball the extra 7 yards, at the same time you may get lucky and hit a few? Now I read this. It's stupid not to kick it.

Like last week, West had fourth and real long at minford. No chance to make it. The Dials kid can kick it 50 yards easily (he kicks 45 yarders warming up). Why no try. Worst case you give them the ball on the 20.

We had Auger for 4 years. Never let him kick fg's. He drilled one in the cold in the playoffs from 45 that would have been good another 10 to 15 yards. And we never used him.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

I thought the kicker for West was injured?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

He is now. But he was fine Friday.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

a missed field goal is a touchback if the ball breaks to goalline plane, if the ball falls short of the goalline you rule it as a punt.
it does not matter where the ball is kicked from as to where it is placed, a touchback is always spotted at the twenty.
hope this clears it up for those wondering.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

siderman wrote:He is now. But he was fine Friday.
i heard he strained his groin trying to kick a 65 yard field goal. :roll:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

KVDW wrote:
siderman wrote:He is now. But he was fine Friday.
i heard he strained his groin trying to kick a 65 yard field goal. :roll:
no smart mouth, he broke his leg badly playing soccer

Return to “Football”