Week 9 (1-7) Waverly @ (7-1) Minford

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Week 9 (1-7) Waverly @ (7-1) Minford

Post by NewEra »

Bounce wrote:As everyone knows Minford has a very talented group of skilled players coming out of the backfield but when the defense adjust and puts the brakes on the run your passing game is cold. You can't ask your WRs or RBs or QB to get a passing game gone when it is limited. No doubt you will have issues with it at times but that is part of the game. Minford has the talent to make things happen
Agreed, we have to put the foot on the gas pedal, and go all in on offense. Cannot just throw on 3rd and 7,etc. Put your boot on their throats and get after them! I know for a fact this coaching staff has the offensive knowledge base as well as innovation to open it up, just gotta believe in your skill players. This team can open it up! I think they will figure it out. As fast as he is, I would still like to see Joyce get a touch in space, couldn't hurt. I also feel Clark and Justice could work the slants well.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

MinFalcon wrote:Falcons just work on things for the playoffs in this one.
This Waverly team is not a team to lay down on. Their QB is for real. The best way to beat them is to get a pass rush on the QB everyplay. If Waverlys QB gets time to throw he will find an opening. Waverly played Valley tough for 1 half. In the second half Valley rushed the QB on just about everyplay and that kept him from looking for recievers and on the run. But give him time and he will eat you alive. He can thread the needle and hit guys that arent even open.

A-Bomb
Riding the Bench

Post by A-Bomb »

waverly not as bad as their 1-7 record indicates...but there is a reason they're 1-7 and minford is 7-1....i expect a close game til midway through...also predict the falcons to pick up huge chunks of rushing yards in this one

minford 34

waverly 20

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

minford needs to scrap the passing mindset and get back to what they do best....run the football right down waverly's throat. they might be a good passing team next year once the qb gets more experience but for this year let the horses in the backfield eat.

berry having one touch of the football the first half vs burg was crazy. let him, carter and justice do what they do best. sure take the occasional shot downfield or a short safe pass now and then on first down or second and short....but run the football. they are good at running the sweeps and powering up the middle on the traps and counters.

and let carter at noseguard blitz on every play. he was in the backfield all night at burg when he was blitzing. waverly wont have a center or guard that will handle him all night.

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

Its hard to get an offense going when you cough up the ball every other play. Minfords offense against Burg was terrible because we had too many turnovers....the plays were there just up to the kids to execute. Also Badboy I dont think I have ever heard of a noseguard blitz. Im pretty sure his job is to get into the backfield every play. Minford will get back to what makes them a solid team this week and rack up the rushing yards while keeping Waverly off the field. When Waverly does have the ball I think Minfords secondary is probably the most athletic in the league and should keep Waverly in check.

Falcons-42
Tigers-21

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Badboy wrote:minford needs to scrap the passing mindset and get back to what they do best....run the football right down waverly's throat. they might be a good passing team next year once the qb gets more experience but for this year let the horses in the backfield eat.

berry having one touch of the football the first half vs burg was crazy. let him, carter and justice do what they do best. sure take the occasional shot downfield or a short safe pass now and then on first down or second and short....but run the football. they are good at running the sweeps and powering up the middle on the traps and counters.

and let carter at noseguard blitz on every play. he was in the backfield all night at burg when he was blitzing. waverly wont have a center or guard that will handle him all night.
This is a good post, however in this day and age vs good football teams, burg, playoff teams, etc... you cannot have a run pass ratio of 80/20, just can't do it, if you want to be at the next level. You are absolutely right about Berry having one touch in the first half and 3 in the whole game... are you kidding me? He IMO should be the featured back. I would say this team would be great with a 60/40 ratio with Berry getting the most carries followed by Carter and Justice. Everyone is really confused as to why Berry doesn't get the ball more, and this includes OTHER staffs. I spoke to one individual and ask "Can we play with Ironton" the answer was defensively Yes, but offensively No. But to the staff's defense, which I have said it 100 times, this is a GREAT coaching staff, and we in Minford are blessed to have them, this year's team offensively is like a puzzle, they will figure it out, just in time for weeks 10-13 ;-)

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

Badboy wrote:minford needs to scrap the passing mindset and get back to what they do best....run the football right down waverly's throat. they might be a good passing team next year once the qb gets more experience but for this year let the horses in the backfield eat.

Another question to be certain, was Minford spying the QB vs. Burg?

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

It kills me how every fan at every school thinks you have to have a 60/40 run/pass ratio to win games. THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL. Teams win at state ALL THE TIME with less. Also, Minford WOULD have an EFFECTIVE offense running right down Ironton's middle, that is a weakness for their defense. Hexk, Ironton has a suspect defense period.

Minford 35 Waverly 14

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

urban buck wrote:It kills me how every fan at every school thinks you have to have a 60/40 run/pass ratio to win games. THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL. Teams win at state ALL THE TIME with less. Also, Minford WOULD have an EFFECTIVE offense running right down Ironton's middle, that is a weakness for their defense. Hexk, Ironton has a suspect defense period.

Minford 35 Waverly 14

Yes this is HIGH SCHOOL, but this is Minford, Ohio, West Portsmouth Ohio, Lucasville, Ohio, etc I feel a more Boise State approach is needed. Every team who takes the field in week 11. I do not believe you can ever get RINGS in being one dimensional in SOUTHERN OHIO. When was the last time a team before the 1990s got a ring in Southern Ohio in football? I am not saying any team this year could get one, but I am just saying, I believe we need to change our approach down here a bit in order to make a real splash in the OHSAA.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

NewEra wrote:
urban buck wrote:It kills me how every fan at every school thinks you have to have a 60/40 run/pass ratio to win games. THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL. Teams win at state ALL THE TIME with less. Also, Minford WOULD have an EFFECTIVE offense running right down Ironton's middle, that is a weakness for their defense. Hexk, Ironton has a suspect defense period.

Minford 35 Waverly 14

Yes this is HIGH SCHOOL, but this is Minford, Ohio, West Portsmouth Ohio, Lucasville, Ohio, etc I feel a more Boise State approach is needed. Every team who takes the field in week 11. I do not believe you can ever get RINGS in being one dimensional in SOUTHERN OHIO. When was the last time a team before the 1990s got a ring in Southern Ohio in football? I am not saying any team this year could get one, but I am just saying, I believe we need to change our approach down here a bit in order to make a real splash in the OHSAA.
AGREED :aaaaa41

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Then why do teams from other parts of the state win without this ratio of passing and rushing yards? Its hogwash. Every team you read about, if they lose, that is what all the armchair QB's say. It is obvious no one that comes up with this junk has ever been THE coach or had to work with REAL kids.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

NewEra wrote:

Another question to be certain, was Minford spying the QB vs. Burg?
yes, but by late in the 1st half they figured out who the spy was and in the second half they put a spy on the spy and cut him down every play.

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

urban buck wrote:Then why do teams from other parts of the state win without this ratio of passing and rushing yards? Its hogwash. Every team you read about, if they lose, that is what all the armchair QB's say. It is obvious no one that comes up with this junk has ever been THE coach or had to work with REAL kids.

Can't even respond to this :roll:

Ol_BoyMF
Waterboy

Post by Ol_BoyMF »

Minford doesnt have the QB to throw the ball as of now. RUN RUN RUN!

Minford 41
Waverly 21

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

Ol_BoyMF wrote:Minford doesnt have the QB to throw the ball as of now. RUN RUN RUN!

Minford 41
Waverly 21
I think our QB is very skilled when he has time, and is not in obvious passing downs.

Ol_BoyMF
Waterboy

Post by Ol_BoyMF »

i agree newera.... next year he will be were he needs to be

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Another terrible tragedy in Waverly - Beau Szoke (Freshman) was killed in an auto accident this morning and his sister Skye flown to a W.Va. hospital. She is in surgery right now. PLEASE PRAY FOR THE SZOKE FAMLY and the Waverly community.

I believe they are trying to cancel this game

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Such terrible news. Prayers for the young mans family and his sister.

Trivium5
Freshman Team

Post by Trivium5 »

Friday night will be about more than just football. As smurray mentioned. Waverly has had one terrible week. Losing two amazing people, way too soon. If the game does go on, everyone Friday night at Minford and surrounding areas, please, say a prayer for the Waverly community. They need it.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

So sad to hear this. My prayers from here in Jackson are going out to this family and community. Please keep us updated on Skye's condition.

Return to “Football”