Is the SEOAL a dead horse?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Is the SEOAL a dead horse?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i just don't see the seoal making it. too many different outlying leagues picking it apart geographically. but my self i like the league for ironton.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan isn't going anywhere. There was a brief flirtation with the MSL, but neither the league nor Logan were ever committed to making it happen.

Like I said, as long as Gallipolis, Jackson, and Logan are willing to ride it out the league will exist in some form.

Glad to have Warren and Portsmouth in the league as well. If the SEOAL can find one more member, they'll be in good shape for the long term with 6 teams. Lots of potential playoff points playing 5 non-league games if teams schedule right.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

An old topic. I would have read the last rites a couple of years ago. But where are these teams going to go if the SEOAL is disbanded? Like Mark Twain said, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

catsandbucks
Riding the Bench

Post by catsandbucks »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:
Roy Munson wrote:Athens will not come back to the SEOAL, why would they after being embarrased on a weekly bases? It is true the SEOAL is down from what it was but Athens would still bring up the rear year in and year out. They are better off in the weak TVC where they can halfway compete.

Ironton will not be back either after running away from the SEOAL not once but twice.

Vinton County is not dumb enough to jumpinto the SEOAL. They can't even come close to being respectable in the weak TVC.
Really? Last year we beat Gallia, Warren, and Chillicothe and lost to Jackson and this season we beat Warren and Jackson and lost to Gallia, hardly would be bringing up the rear. The only schools from the SEOAL we haven't played or beaten the last two years are Logan and Portsmouth and no rational thinking person would think that either would have beaten Athens either year.

How did Athens get their athletic programs back into shape to be able to beat SEOAL teams again? By beating smaller schools in the TVC. No doubt they could win the SEOAL this season but would they have all the success they have now if they had stayed in the SEOAL and kept having losing records.

I think we are all reading into it and Athens did not become better athletically by switching to the TVC, it was jut a coincidence that they switched right before they knew they had better talent coming.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It seems that when Athens started to put Ws up in the TVC more boys started to come out for the team and with the bigger numbers they found they had the talent in their hallways.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I remember this senior class being a really, really good pee-wee team clear back in the 6th grade (before AHS made the switch to the TVC) ... everyone thought they were gonna be good - regardless of what league they played in.

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

they are good and would have probably won the S.E.O.A.L....this year and maybe a 3 year run.......but come playoff time would be better off playing bigger schools cause sometimes they could go 9-1 and not make playoffs......and they are schedling S.E.A.O.L. teams anyways.......makes since to get back in the league...... 8) :!: :idea:

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

bird78 wrote:they are good and would have probably won the S.E.O.A.L....this year and maybe a 3 year run.......but come playoff time would be better off playing bigger schools cause sometimes they could go 9-1 and not make playoffs......and they are schedling S.E.A.O.L. teams anyways.......makes since to get back in the league...... 8) :!: :idea:
The one year (2009) that we went 9-1 and missed the playoffs finishing 12th, we were one of three schools in D2 R7 to have that happen along with New Philadelphia who finished 11th and Zanesville who was a member of the SEOAL finished 13th.
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Last year Athens (TVC) - went 10-0 and was the No. 2 seed in region 12.
Last year Jackson (SEOAL) - went 10-0 and was the No. 7 seed in region 12.

Why would Athens want - or need - to jump ship back to the SEOAL?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

93Bulldog wrote:Last year Athens (TVC) - went 10-0 and was the No. 2 seed in region 12.
Last year Jackson (SEOAL) - went 10-0 and was the No. 7 seed in region 12.

Why would Athens want - or need - to jump ship back to the SEOAL?
And those two teams met in the first round of the playoffs and who won? Seedings can be quite misleading, the Harbin system is certainly not fullproof. Why can Youngstown Ursuline make it in at 5-5 or 4-6, seeded #8 and NO ONE wants to play them? Just sayin'.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My point was Athens does just fine in computer points playing in the TVC ... they got in and hosted a game - that's all I was sayin.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

93Bulldog wrote:My point was Athens does just fine in computer points playing in the TVC ... they got in and hosted a game - that's all I was sayin.
Aka why would we leave when we can beat TVC Ohio teams every week 80-0.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Daniel Larusso wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:My point was Athens does just fine in computer points playing in the TVC ... they got in and hosted a game - that's all I was sayin.
:oops: Aka why would we leave when we can beat TVC Ohio teams every week 80-0.
Athens will not beat NY LIKE THAT !!! That has to be the dumbist post u put on seops

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

NY BUCKS wrote:
Daniel Larusso wrote:
:oops: Aka why would we leave when we can beat TVC Ohio teams every week 80-0.
Athens will not beat NY LIKE THAT !!! That has to be the dumbist post u put on seops
Says the guy that can't spell "dumbest." My mistake, Athens will beat every team in the TVC except Nelsonville 80-0.

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

:oops: Aka why would we leave when we can beat TVC Ohio teams every week 80-0.[/quote]Athens will not beat NY LIKE THAT !!! That has to be the dumbist post u put on seops[/quote]

Says the guy that can't spell "dumbest." My mistake, Athens will beat every team in the TVC except Nelsonville 80-0.[/quote]

That's hilarious Daniel!
This thread caught my eye, I didn't play in SEOAL and don't have kids in SEOAL. So it should be said that the future of SEOAL doesn't really matter to me. However, I have to ask, why would you guys want such a geographically large conf? Seems like the would get old pretty quick. Athletic fuel budgets must be huge, away game fan support seems like it would suffer the further the athletic locale. Long long nights for away games.
So what is it? The history? Rivalries? Habit?
Curious to know. Thanks

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Redcard wrote: This thread caught my eye, I didn't play in SEOAL and don't have kids in SEOAL. So it should be said that the future of SEOAL doesn't really matter to me. However, I have to ask, why would you guys want such a geographically large conf? Seems like the would get old pretty quick. Athletic fuel budgets must be huge, away game fan support seems like it would suffer the further the athletic locale. Long long nights for away games.
Curious to know. Thanks
Warren Local doesn't have much choice. The TVC doesn't want them and neither does the MVL. I have always thought the MVL would be Warren's best fit for all sports. The only gripe I have with the SEOAL is the travel. Other than that the Warriors have been very successful in all sports but football.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I said it before and will say it again and I do not it will be unpopular and disagreed with.
But I do believe Portsmouth is heading to the OVC and GAllia Acadamy is looking that way to.
Gallia can still play Jackson and try to keep Athens as football games.
Reason is Portsmouth is getting small as is every team in the river valley is.
Gallia is div. 3 but for how long when they can play schools closer to their size and compete in all sports still.
Coal Grove travels well as does Cheasapeak and Fairland can travel well to.
Times are changing and as much as I respect the SEOAL and wish Ironton was still in it I just don't see it surviving in the future.
Where does that leave Logan and Jackson as well as Warren I am sure that is being looked at now.
It's been well know Jackson as been looking at options for awhile so loyalty is not a issue with them.
Who knows they may try the OVC to know one know's the future there.
All we can do is hope for the best for the students when it comes to a head.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Redcard wrote: That's hilarious Daniel!
This thread caught my eye, I didn't play in SEOAL and don't have kids in SEOAL. So it should be said that the future of SEOAL doesn't really matter to me. However, I have to ask, why would you guys want such a geographically large conf? Seems like the would get old pretty quick. Athletic fuel budgets must be huge, away game fan support seems like it would suffer the further the athletic locale. Long long nights for away games.
Curious to know. Thanks
Where else are these teams, especially Logan, going to go? Not a lot of options to be honest.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Last year Athens #2 seed, Jackson #7 seed. Jackson (SEOAL) beat Athens (TVC) in the playoffs first round at Athens.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

frankly, i just don't see the legue making it without a major overhaul.i hope it strives and thrives though.

but the geographics of this widespread lead, in reference to outlandish fuel prices may just be it's waterloo.

Return to “Football”