Past players

ptowntrojan_61
Waterboy

Past players

Post by ptowntrojan_61 »

I am working on a presentation for shawnee state university about the benefits of having a college football program and I would like to see how many good athletes that shawnee has let slip through there fingers due to the lack of one.
I mostly would like to see players from about ten years back if you could list just name, pos, and college they attended.
Please and thank you

ptowntrojan_61
Waterboy

Re: Past players

Post by ptowntrojan_61 »

come on SEOP members i need these names i know there has been some good ones.
anyone from the area from any school

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Luke Keller from Valley. He graduated last year and now plays football at Morehead state. I know that he really considered playing baseball at Shawnee, so if they would have had a football team it would have been a real possibility!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Darius Lewis RB Ironton went to Marshall. I think KCU has 2 Ironton guys on the team right now Webb and Spologaric (sp) OL. I know theres more, but I cant think of them.
It hasnt been in the past 10 years, but I went to a small school in Canton, Walsh University, and my freshman year was the 1st year they had football. Our incoming class of freshman were largest ever up to that point with like 250 some kids. I played 4 years up there, but every year we would have bigger and bigger incoming freshmen classes. That was in 1995 when I was a freshman, by teh time I left in 2000 they had built on and had expanded with 3 new dorms with plans to expand even more. Recently they got an outdoor turf practice field as well as a new science center, dorms, and a few other things. A football team brings in money from tution as well as donors giving more.

bd452
Waterboy

Post by bd452 »

While your making the presentation maybe you can tell them how you plan to raise the $1.5 million PER YEAR that it takes to run a college football program. Also, since NAIA football teams get 24 scholarships, you better not forget about Title IX. You'll have to have a plan to add about 5 women's sports to equal things out. There's another half million easy. So now you need to tell them how you plan to raise the $2,000,000 per year to get this footbal team up and running.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You dont have to add womens sports if you add a football team. The money will come from tution from the new players. Also alumni will love to donate money to help out the football team.

bd452
Waterboy

Post by bd452 »

tigercannon71 wrote:You dont have to add womens sports if you add a football team. The money will come from tution from the new players. Also alumni will love to donate money to help out the football team.
You don't have to add women's sports but you do have to keep men's and women's scholarships equal. You can't just hand out 24 extra women's scholarships to existing teams. It doesn't work like that. There are caps on amount of schoarships a basketball team can have. That's why you have to add the sports, to add the schoarships. Either that, or take away from existing men's teams.
Shawnee State is a state funded institution whose budgets was drastically cut just like every other state run organization. State universities cannot survive off tuition payments alone. it takes state and federal funding. And bigger state university budget cuts are coming with a new house bill that funds state universities based in their number of gradutes, not enrollment. Oh yeah, the national avg is 25% of incoming freshmen will go on to graduate. Shawnee being open enrollment is drastically lower.
As far as money from tuition from new players. Your still about $1.5 million short. Maybe you can get that from the alumni. It is a booming economy right now.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

bd452 wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:You dont have to add womens sports if you add a football team. The money will come from tution from the new players. Also alumni will love to donate money to help out the football team.
You don't have to add women's sports but you do have to keep men's and women's scholarships equal. You can't just hand out 24 extra women's scholarships to existing teams. It doesn't work like that. There are caps on amount of schoarships a basketball team can have. That's why you have to add the sports, to add the schoarships. Either that, or take away from existing men's teams.
Shawnee State is a state funded institution whose budgets was drastically cut just like every other state run organization. State universities cannot survive off tuition payments alone. it takes state and federal funding. And bigger state university budget cuts are coming with a new house bill that funds state universities based in their number of gradutes, not enrollment. Oh yeah, the national avg is 25% of incoming freshmen will go on to graduate. Shawnee being open enrollment is drastically lower.
As far as money from tuition from new players. Your still about $1.5 million short. Maybe you can get that from the alumni. It is a booming economy right now.
Why can't they be non scholarship like morehead state and some of the other schools?

bd452
Waterboy

Post by bd452 »

I was actually just simplifying things when referring to scholarships. But real facts with Title IX, for every male athletic opportunity their must be an equal # of female athletic opportunities, scholarship or not. So basically every dollar the school spends on football it must spend on women's athletics. It's actually worse than I stated and a whole lot more complex. If you add 75 football players, you better add 75 women's athletic opportunities also.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You forget one important thing. Football is king in college sports. You get it the money will come. The entire university will benefit for a football team. I've seen two Universities prosper and grow from starting a football team. You don't have to add girls sports or anything. By football bringing in more money for the school all sports boys and girls will be able to get more funding. It's a win win for everyone involved.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Would really be neat to see SSU start a football program. Get the NFL and private citizens on board to help revamp Spartan Stadium and they'd have a monster of a field. I always thought what would essentially be a "scioto county all-star team" would be of great interest to our sports crazed area! Could really have a lot potential fan support and bring the area together. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

piratepride05
Freshman Team

Post by piratepride05 »

Go back and find All-Ohio Teams and look for those players from the area. I bet most of them could've played college ball if they didn't.

From my era:
Marcus Williams - OSU
Tyler Lang - OU
Blaike Smith - Mount Union
Long snapper for Portsmouth 2002-2004(can't remember his name)
Cadogan's
West has Trevon playing at MSU and another player at OSU
Luke Slone could've played college ball (not sure why he didn't)

There are a few Burg players that play/played at KCU

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Take a look at kids from Pike, Ross, Jackson, Lawrence and Scioto Co that is where a large number of kids come from that attend SSU.
Not to mention Across the river in KY and WV. If you added Football include Gallia also.

Return to “Football”