Ohio vs.WV

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ohio vs.WV

Post by Raider6309 »

Raiderball wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:
Raiderball wrote:I'm not going to take the time to look up population numbers but Athens = Morgantown? Parkersburg and Beckley = Marietta and Chillicothe?
If you go from Portsmouth to Circleville to Zanesville to Wheeling or just south of Wheeling... we are more like WV than the rest of Ohio whether you want to admit it or not.

I still want to know who those other 3 Ohio schools are that are going to beat WV... LOL
So the top team in wv losing 60 to 14 means nothing. Southeast ohio has very little population and kills so called powerhouses from cities with 100k ppl in wv. We know we aren't Cleveland, youngstown, cbus, or Cincy. All of southeast ohio is smaller than one of those cities. Those cities have 2 or 3 catholic schools and rest are average. Like I said, put athens skill on Trimble and u win state 3 years in a row. Wv of 3million is way behind seo of 500 or 600k
Name one city in WV with a population of 100,000.

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-WestVirginia.html
charleston has 300k
huntington has 286k

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

^^^^^
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntingt ... tical_Area

According to the above link, the 286k describes the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton area.

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

Charleston and Huntington each have a population of roughly 50,000.

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

efarns wrote:The fair comparison would be to rank all of WV against Ohio's southeastern schools. Even then, on average, I'm pretty confident that Ohio is stronger overall. Once you get past a few strong programs like Wahama, West Virginia football gets pretty thin pretty fast.
I unfortunatly have to agree that Ohio is a stronger high school football power than West Virginia High School football. I am a grad of a AA WVa high school which won the state AA football championship in 1976 we beat Belpre that year who won the TVC, beat Warren that year or the year before. No matter, there was a very small school called Paden City who was a lot like Wahamma today, they seemingly could beat any team any where for a while. Over-all one must look at the DI prospects that come from each state; Ohio is one of the leaders in the entire nation, the Buckeye state has players on most major college rosters, or at least are heavily recruited.
I always root for the team from the Mountaineer State anyway.
I ask you what is a Buckeye? Answer: Just another worthless NUT! Just my $0.02 worth.

:aaaaa99 "A BIT OF A RATTLE SNAKE"

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

cable_hogue, Ravenswood is a far cry from what it was in 1976. It took a big hit on people leaving in the early eighties and now since Century Aluminum has shut down it is even a smaller town. I think seven describes what a Buckeye is. Seven national championships. How many does the Mountaineers have? :mrgreen:

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

Hopper 11 wrote:cable_hogue, Ravenswood is a far cry from what it was in 1976. It took a big hit on people leaving in the early eighties and now since Century Aluminum has shut down it is even a smaller town. I think seven describes what a Buckeye is. Seven national championships. How many does the Mountaineers have? :mrgreen:
Frankly I do not care for West Virginia Mountaineers football either, actually would root for OSU if they played. :mrgreen: I played at Pitt, I went the same 4 years as Mark May of ESPN fame, Ricky Jackson, and also played 2 years with Dan Marino; by-the=way I think Pitt has won a couple of national championships in the schools history, one the year when Ravenswood won state.
I was recruited by Johnny Majors, but he went to Tennessee couple days after I signed my letter to attend THE GREAT UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURG PANTHERS. Jackie Sherrill was the head coach after that, but I played directly for the greatest linebacker coach to ever blow a whistle Foge Fazio.
My family lived in Ravenswood while my father worked for a shaft and slope company that traveled all over the W Va and Kentuck coal fields. The only reason we lived there was my dad had realitives living in the town. I loved it and enjoyed going to school there. We won the state the last year before W Va switched to a 3 class system. It was ony A & AA since the 40's (I think) then it was "A" "B", "C".
Parkersburg was AA, but went to AAA when the smaller schools went to "A" we stayed "AA", and this year was the first appearance in the state championship game since we won the title in 1976, but the basketball team has done very well!
I must have been misled, I was told that a Buckeye was a non-edible nut called a horseshoe chestnut! :aaaaa86

:aaaaa99 "A BIT OF A RATTLE" SNAKE

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

It seems to me that, teams in WV that are centered around towns are about as successful as teams with similar geography in Ohio. But there are several WV school districts with small populations spread over a pretty big area. You don't see many successful sports programs built that way. When we see your 8-2 football team padding its win total against the Gilmer and Calhoun Counties of the world, you can understand why we might be skeptical about how good your team really is.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

cable_hogue, I can;t say anything bad about Pitt since I am a Dolphin fan and they produced the greatest QB of all time in Marino. I wouldn't mention that you played with Mark May on this site. He is not well liked he is a Buckeye hater. My friends from Ravenswood and I always had a lot of fun going at each other about the Buckeyes and Mountaineers.

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

Hopper 11 wrote:cable_hogue, I can;t say anything bad about Pitt since I am a Dolphin fan and they produced the greatest QB of all time in Marino. I wouldn't mention that you played with Mark May on this site. He is not well liked he is a Buckeye hater. My friends from Ravenswood and I always had a lot of fun going at each other about the Buckeyes and Mountaineers.
You are correct about May Day, he hates every school except the members of the Big East. I never knew him that well most considered him a New York smart ass! Dan Marino was not only a great QB; he is a better person. I can't imagine how I forgot to mention Mean Joe Green as a team mate he was fierce, he was feared even in practice; glad I was on defense also!
If you have friends from Ravenswood you may know who I am. I started LB there for 4 years, was all state 2 times, and we beat Big Creek for the West Virginia AA state championship in 1976. During the winter break in 1976 my father moved us to a small Pittsburg suburb Called The Wexford Flats in PA where I graduated high school, (when people ask me where I went to high school I say, "Ravenswood W Va.") I played at Pitt 4 years, 2 years as a starting linebacker and my hometown is listed on the roster as Wexford PA not RAVENSWOOD WEST VIRGINIA, but all-in-all I am mostly known for one touchdown saving tackle on South Carolina's George Rogers (1980 heisman winner) in the 1980 Gator bowl. We won 37-9, and some saw us co-national champs, but we were officially ranked #2 in AP poll. We lost one game that year, we got our butts kicked by Florida State in a down pour 36*22.

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Remember playing against QB named Ritchie a RB named Hall and a FB/LB named Jelic. I believe Fred Taylor was the coach. Ravenswood had a good team . Warren Warriors went down there and won 8-7.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

@Cable, did you mean Hugh Green?

@Native Warrior, Joe Jelich 6'1 225 MG, from Ravenswood. 4 year letter winner at WVU, 75-78

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Doesn't suprise me that Jelich played at WVU he was a beast. I guess my point is that a average Warren team beat one of West Virginia's finest on their home field. It is all about numbers and level of competition. Weat Virginia has 153 schools compared to 896 Ohio schools with boys sports and 142 to 873 in girls atheletics. It is what it is !

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

[quote="Raiderball"]@Cable, did you mean Hugh Green?

Yes I did ! I did meet Joe Greene when I was on Steelers practice squad in 1981 and 1982 (Mean Joe retired at the end of 1981 season). After two years of getting my socks knocked off for 3 hours a day for 6 months, I realized I was not going to make the roster too many great linebackers on that team; even after Ham retired in 82. I decided it was time to enter into the field I was educated for.
By-the-way Hugh was a mean Green too! First defensive player to finish second in the Heisman voting, and he out played the actual winner in the Gator Bowl that year.
Most folks don't remember that Hugh played defensive end for 3 seasons in college because they recall him as such a great linebacker for Tampa Bay and Miami in the NFL.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

With no disrespect intended, if Wayne wins a state title but has to worry about playing Chesapeake....I would love to see how many titles the tigers would have. With that being said, I think Ironton on a average year could compete if not win the championship on a year to year basis!

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

Chesapeake has beaten Wayne once in 13 years...in a sort of flukish game in 2011 where both teams turned the ball over a ton (10 combined I think). It was 97 degrees at kickoff...both teams struggled. That said, most of the games have not been close.

That Chesapeake team matched up perfectly with its size. It also thoroughly outplayed St. Clairsville in the playoffs and frankly should have won the game.

Generally speaking, Wayne hasn't worried much about Chesapeake over the years.

2000: Wayne 30, Chesapeake 22 (2 OT)--Wayne went 13-1, losing 14-6 in WV title game.
2001: Wayne 10, Chesapeake 9--Wayne went 9-1, losing 14-12 in the first round of the playoffs.
2002: Wayne 41, Chesapeake 0--Wayne went 10-3, losing 10-0 in the semifinals. Chesapeake made the D-V regional final.
2003: Wayne 22, Chesapeake 12--Wayne went 8-4, losing 24-16 in the quarterfinals.
2004: Wayne 22, Chesapeake 8--Wayne went 13-1, losing 69-24 in WV title game.
2005: Wayne 44, Chesapeake 6--Wayne went 12-1, losing 22-7 in semifinals.
2006: Wayne 34, Chesapeake 12--Wayne went 12-2, winning state championship.
2007: Wayne 28, Chesapeake 0--Wayne went 12-1, lost 21-14 in semifinals. (Wayne threw for 150 yards and 3 TD passes in first half of this game, didn't throw second half)
2008: Wayne 39, Chesapeake 21--Wayne went 11-2, losing 42-12 in semifinals (Wayne was up 39-0 at half).
2009: Wayne 40, Chesapeake 14--Wayne went 13-1, losing 27-7 in state championship.
2010: Wayne 20, Chesapeake 14--Wayne went 9-3, losing 54-8 in quarterfinals.
2011: Chesapeake 14, Wayne 8--Wayne went 12-2, winning state championship (made a personnel overhaul 5 weeks later of shuffling players around...have averaged 50 ppg since and no team has been within 18...and only one within 27 during that run. Chesapeake faltered at Coal Grove but played great at St.C'sville).
2012: Wayne 58, Chesapeake 12--Wayne went 14-0, winning state championship (Was 40 or so to 6 at half).

Point being...a few close games but not really a struggle except for 2010 and 2011 the past 13 years.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I remember Hugh Green playing at Pitt and in the NFL. He was a good one.

Texastomcats
Freshman Team

Post by Texastomcats »

Wahama needs to stay in there own state. Why in the world would we ever let another state into our league is beyond me. Ohio and WV rules are different. Also I can guarantee if they would have to play there playoff games in Ohio Newark Catholic would beat them straight up. As for who has the best teams in Ohio and WV hands down Ohio all the way.

Titletown TVC
JV Team

Post by Titletown TVC »

Sorry about your luck tomcat pride. I can see why your feathers are ruffled though. Trimble used to run all over that sorry arse division until the white falcons showed up and took their candy. Now everyone cant wait to show us the door.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

How has Wahama faired against NY in the scrimmages? Maybe Wahama should move to the Ohio Division

Titletown TVC
JV Team

Post by Titletown TVC »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:How has Wahama faired against NY in the scrimmages? Maybe Wahama should move to the Ohio Division
I have an idea. You post a pic of the trophy you guys got for winning that scrimmage. Here is ours:

Return to “Football”