athens

thebig29
Riding the Bench

athens

Post by thebig29 »

okay i just have a question on here and wanted some opinions from ya'll, why is athens in the tvc ohio? i just dont understand how they can play welston nelsonvill exc. (small schools) other than vinton. they get good seeds in the tourny, but really it prooves nothing beating up on small schools. i mean i would hope their record is at least 7-3 every yead i mean dang :12224

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: athens

Post by Raider6309 »

We play the Seoal. Played gallia, warren, and jackson. top 3 teams. We play in the tvc because it makes good crowds. Lost a game and still number 3 in region. Athens wants to play Logan but they don't wanna lose 100 to 0

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

RAIDER6309 wrote:We play the Seoal. Played gallia, warren, and jackson. top 3 teams. We play in the tvc because it makes good crowds. Lost a game and still number 3 in region. Athens wants to play Logan but they don't wanna lose 100 to 0
Let get the facts right! The bullpuppies canceled there football contract when the bullpuppies where to play logan after they left the SEOAL. In fact they paid money to get out of the contract!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

RAIDER6309 wrote:We play the Seoal. Played gallia, warren, and jackson. top 3 teams. We play in the tvc because it makes good crowds. Lost a game and still number 3 in region. Athens wants to play Logan but they don't wanna lose 100 to 0
by "they" you mean athens correct?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Let him talk some smack guys after all his school got "thumped" for 30 plus years, so he deserves a little fun :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1987chieftains wrote:
by "they" you mean athens correct?
Logan couldnt beat Athens right now if they were spotted 30 points.....
Q

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Lol and Logan is a joke now. Gotta let us athens ppl have are fun. Kids now don't even remember Logan was good from 98 to 2009.

Ny92
Freshman Team

Post by Ny92 »

Watch what you wish for Logan will be back soon I'm sure

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

ny92 wrote:Watch what you wish for Logan will be back soon I'm sure
I'm surprised they got bad. They never beat u with skill. They always had the best line in seo.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

This dead horse wants to be buried. Who cares.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Yes, well put. The wheel turns and sooner not later IMO the roles will be reversed. I watch an awful lot of 8th-JV games and Logan is stacked up in junior high through sophomore on the gridiron. Add some athletes to a coaching change that will spark some intererst and some competition and whaaallaaa they will be a force to be reckoned with. Conversely Athens not so stacked in that age group and the stage is set for the the wheel to turn. Be an interesting game in 2013 if they played and a real interseting game in 2014. Enjoy your run Athens no one taking anything away from your accomplishments.

DICKAUKERMAN
Waterboy

Post by DICKAUKERMAN »

what you said is true doubleplay things run in cycles. they have some great talent now....

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan's new coach may have woken a sleeping giant. :122249

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

noreply66 wrote:Logan's new coach may have woken a sleeping giant. :122249
I really hope so, football in this area is much better when Logan is relevent.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

thebig29 wrote:okay i just have a question on here and wanted some opinions from ya'll, why is athens in the tvc ohio? i just dont understand how they can play welston nelsonvill exc. (small schools) other than vinton. they get good seeds in the tourny, but really it prooves nothing beating up on small schools. i mean i would hope their record is at least 7-3 every yead i mean dang :12224
I thought we were past this "dead horse" subject. I would think the trip to the regional finals would have been good enough to "prove" all they needed to.

catsandbucks
Riding the Bench

Post by catsandbucks »

The only thing "dead horse" was the Athens program before they moved to the TVC.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

catsandbucks wrote:The only thing "dead horse" was the Athens program before they moved to the TVC.
Think we need to give them their due, Athens may not have been a good program when they left SEOAL and entered the TVC but now they are no doubt one of the better programs in the area. It all goes back to the above statement IMO about cycles. Every school every so often has that run where a good group of athletes frosh through seniors come together and are the best in the area...then they cycle out of it until the next "special" group comes through. Unfortunately I think public schools will always cycle in and out of some successful years and some not so successful years. On the other hand (not to change the subject but to make a point) some private or catholic schools that can offer "scholarships" (aka recruit) can maintain relatively consistent programs. Their cycles are far and few between due to their ability to do this. IMO, that and a buck get you a cup of joe.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Yes, well put. The wheel turns and sooner not later IMO the roles will be reversed. I watch an awful lot of 8th-JV games and Logan is stacked up in junior high through sophomore on the gridiron. Add some athletes to a coaching change that will spark some intererst and some competition and whaaallaaa they will be a force to be reckoned with. Conversely Athens not so stacked in that age group and the stage is set for the the wheel to turn. Be an interesting game in 2013 if they played and a real interseting game in 2014. Enjoy your run Athens no one taking anything away from your accomplishments.
this is true. i have had the pleasure of watching the 7th, 8th and 9th grades play athens over the last several yrs. athens does have afew bright spots but not that many. but you never know, they are at the stage. some grow, some dont and some dont play anymore.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Athens Athletics are in tremendous shape right now because of many moves...

One was the move to the TVC-Ohio...
It created a strong County Build Up not only for Athens, but for Alexander and perrinial powerhouse Nelsonville-York...
The man reason the Athens program through the 1990's lost steam was because of inconsistencies..
-Coaching changes every other season
-Learning New Systems
-The losing started taking it's effect on the Athletes, as more and more started leaving the program
-The Community started losing love and support

Athens move to the TVC happened at a time when the right Athletes where prime for turning the program around...
I played in the SEOAL on one of the most talented Athens teams in the 2000's.
-We were successful because we had Coaching Consistency (same Coaches for 5 years under Les Champlin)
-We bought into the system
-We had a group of Athelete who loved football (Grant Gregory to name one)

When Athens played their first season in the TVC, they had the same above.
-They played almost the same schedule as we did when we were in the SEOAL, the only difference was the emphasis on League Games...

Ryan Adams has rebuilt the Athens Football Program from Top to Bottom...
-With a group of Athletes (mostly Sophomores) they reached the Sweet Sixteen...
-We are excited for the future, our program has been revived and The Athens Faithful are not sorry for switching leagues. (it is a part of life, look at the NCAA. How many schools have switched leagues?)
-League Titles are just one of the many goals the program has, as we have tasted the Play-Offs and plan on getting back there again!

Athens Athletics are in a great place...
Athens Baseball has been the most stable Program in the School. Winning league titles and winning in the Play-Offs while in the TVC. Athens still owns the most League Titles in SEOAL Baseball History with 24 and lead by a huge margin.
Athens Football has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen.
Athens Boys Basketball has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen. (Still Going!)
Athens Girls Basketball has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen.
Athens Wrestling is one of the best programs in the state, especially SE Ohio...
Athens Athletics are in a great place...

Timing is everything in life, and right now Athens ducks have been in a row...
We are enjoying the ups, all the hard work and sacrifice by the Coaches and Athletes paying off...it was our time, we had payed our dues

Being a former SEOAL athlete and now current coach in the TVC there is no reason to try and compare the Leagues...
As much bad blood from years of rivalry (Especially Athens vs. Logan), we don't want to see our former League teams struggle.
Southeastern Ohio Sports are much better life Atowndog mentioned when Logan is strong, which could be happening again real soon.

The Deadhorse conversation is done. It has been 5 years. The TVC has embraced Athens and everything it brings to the League! It seems to be the outsiders who just can't get over Athens leaving...remember Athens wasn't the first team and won't be the last to leave the SEOAL or any other league.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Well said ?mark and exactly correct...conversation over.

Return to “Football”