athens

thebig29
Riding the Bench

Re: athens

Post by thebig29 »

questionmark wrote:Athens Athletics are in tremendous shape right now because of many moves...

One was the move to the TVC-Ohio...
It created a strong County Build Up not only for Athens, but for Alexander and perrinial powerhouse Nelsonville-York...
The man reason the Athens program through the 1990's lost steam was because of inconsistencies..
-Coaching changes every other season
-Learning New Systems
-The losing started taking it's effect on the Athletes, as more and more started leaving the program
-The Community started losing love and support

Athens move to the TVC happened at a time when the right Athletes where prime for turning the program around...
I played in the SEOAL on one of the most talented Athens teams in the 2000's.
-We were successful because we had Coaching Consistency (same Coaches for 5 years under Les Champlin)
-We bought into the system
-We had a group of Athelete who loved football (Grant Gregory to name one)

When Athens played their first season in the TVC, they had the same above.
-They played almost the same schedule as we did when we were in the SEOAL, the only difference was the emphasis on League Games...

Ryan Adams has rebuilt the Athens Football Program from Top to Bottom...
-With a group of Athletes (mostly Sophomores) they reached the Sweet Sixteen...
-We are excited for the future, our program has been revived and The Athens Faithful are not sorry for switching leagues. (it is a part of life, look at the NCAA. How many schools have switched leagues?)
-League Titles are just one of the many goals the program has, as we have tasted the Play-Offs and plan on getting back there again!

Athens Athletics are in a great place...
Athens Baseball has been the most stable Program in the School. Winning league titles and winning in the Play-Offs while in the TVC. Athens still owns the most League Titles in SEOAL Baseball History with 24 and lead by a huge margin.
Athens Football has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen.
Athens Boys Basketball has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen. (Still Going!)
Athens Girls Basketball has collected League titles and made it to the Sweet Sixteen.
Athens Wrestling is one of the best programs in the state, especially SE Ohio...
Athens Athletics are in a great place...

Timing is everything in life, and right now Athens ducks have been in a row...
We are enjoying the ups, all the hard work and sacrifice by the Coaches and Athletes paying off...it was our time, we had payed our dues

Being a former SEOAL athlete and now current coach in the TVC there is no reason to try and compare the Leagues...
As much bad blood from years of rivalry (Especially Athens vs. Logan), we don't want to see our former League teams struggle.
Southeastern Ohio Sports are much better life Atowndog mentioned when Logan is strong, which could be happening again real soon.

The Deadhorse conversation is done. It has been 5 years. The TVC has embraced Athens and everything it brings to the League! It seems to be the outsiders who just can't get over Athens leaving...remember Athens wasn't the first team and won't be the last to leave the SEOAL or any other league.
buddy, your struggleing mentaly

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

the big29 wrote: "buddy, your struggleing mentaly"

hmmm, I really am trying to determine who is struggling mentally lol...I know we aren't in a spelling bee lol, but if we were my money is on questionmark.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

THEBIG29,

Athens is just fine in the TVC....
They still play some of the SEOAL schools that used to be league games. The rest of the TVC-OHIO has 2 choices, get better or get left behind. Athens raises the level of competition. If NY (the smallest school in the Ohio) can compete then so can Alex, Vinton, Wellston, and Meigs..........
So get over it already

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

BIG FISH small pond and that is the truth :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

Boy Looks Like someone hit a nerve with ole "Thebig29" One Angry dude.

Either someone really pissed him of or he's off his Meds. And from the looks of his rants and the fact that he's about two years late to the "BIG FISH small pond" argument I'd put my money on him missing a few days of Meds

Might want to try one of these out. Help you keep track of things.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Big29- it is Education time!

Athens is DIII in Football...meaning they played in the DIII Play-Offs...
We did not beat the Worst DII school in the Play-Offs, because we did not play in the DII Play-Offs...

Athens went 9-1 this season earning the #3 Seed in the DIII Play-Offs.

Let take a look at their "Balanced" schedule that helped them earn that Play-Off spot.

DII - Watkins Memorial and Warren Local ...2 Wins of teams bigger than Athens...
DIII - Jackson and Vinton County...2 wins of teams equal size of Athens...
DIV - Waverly, Wellston and Meigs...3 wins of teams only one Division Lower than Athens...
D V- Alexander and Nelsonville-York...2 wins of teams two Divisions Lower than Athens, with Nelsonville-York being one of the best Division 5 Programs in the state.

Pretty Balanced schedule...played plenty of teams bigger, equal or close in size...

Add in, D III - #7 Seed Circleville and #6 Seed Shawnee as HUGE wins on the season...

YOU DO NOT EARN THE #3 SEED in the PLAY-OFFS without a QUALITY SCHEDULE and you DON'T WIN 1, let alone 2 PLAY-OFF GAMES WITHOUT A QUALITY PROGRAM!

*lastly, the NCAA comparison was not the comparison of school sizes. It was the fact that every league, at some point experiences realignment. It is the nature of this world....by the way, We At ATHENS love the TVC and everything is offers. We love traveling close to home for heated battles among County Rivals and do not apologize for the BIG CROWDS and/or any inconvience it brings to TheBig29 because of his disapproval. It will be funny when the state releases the new Division alignments and we find Athens as a DIV team in the new 7 Division Alignment...

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Maybe these "cycles" have alot to do with the cycles of OU coaching staff and their kids??????????

Just sayin............

MODERATOR 1
Riding the Bench

Post by MODERATOR 1 »

thebig29 ... your post are way over the line ... they will be deleted.

DICKAUKERMAN
Waterboy

Post by DICKAUKERMAN »

as i said before athens is in a special place with talent right now. 2 years from now.......i've been watching teams down here for many years. they have a great group of kids. but remember, what comes around goes around. enjoy what you have right now. don't forget to be respectful to the teams you play.

NYF
Freshman Team

Post by NYF »

The numbers that went around last year and from what I have seen leaves Athens in D3 by 8 or so kids. No matter how you look at it, they are winning. Winning does a lot for the school the city let alone the new kids that start to play sports. Give credit to the bulldogs, they are winning just about every league championship plus they are now winning playoff games in every sport. TVC has done them well!

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

BIGHITINC- You act like Athens has a say in who the next Ohio University Coaches will be. It's not like our administration is on the Ohio Board or Athletics Committee and recommend that they choose coaches who have sons...
But you are right, some of the Athletes on the recent winning Athens teams have been players whose fathers happened to Coach for Ohio. Grant Gregory made up just ONE of the kids who played from 2001-2003 team that won 18 games in those 3 years. Joe Germano again was ONE kid of the 11 on the field during the 2009-2010 seasons that won 14 games. This past season, we happened to have TWO kids in Joe Burrow and Trae Williams whose fathers are Coaches, and that team won 11 games.

I can see your correlation that we have had success recently with kids whose fathers are Ohio Coaches, but you need to remember they are only one or two players on some very talented teams...

DICKAUKERMAN- if anyone knows cycles, it is Athens. The 90's almost made everyone forget about some very talented teams from the 80's. The 2000's were mixed with some talented teams and some not so talented teams. And the current team, has def. given Athens fans some long overdue reasons to cheer on Friday Nights but ask anyone, we know our past, and we know that it takes a program to keep things moving forward and I feel we finally have that in Ryan Adams and the coaching stability he has brought with him in his staff.

NYF - yea, I'm not sure on the numbers. But from what I have found on how they are rebalancing the Divisions it will be very close for teams like Athens, Jackson and Gallia Academy from being DIII and DIV...

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Being in a league encompasses all sports.
Athens has distinct advantages over all the other school districts in the league.
Just look in the trophy case at all the league trophy s and tell me which ones are the most exciting.
The ones bearing SEOAL or the multitude of TVC trophy s?????

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

To the Athletes that won the league Championships the ones they won are the most exciting. And in the end that's all that matters. To suggest otherwise just belittles those athletes who have experienced success over the past 5 seasons.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Gotta love a thread where the folks who can't stand Athens get to vent their frustration ... hope you all feel beter now ... its good for the soul to let all that anger out ... :)

I really don't care if Athens was playing in the TVC, SEOAL, MVL, SVC ... whatever ... they have hosted back-to-back playoff games and made it all the way to the Elite 8 last year ... there is NO ARGUMENT to be made here, their success on the field speaks for itself.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When I found out Athens was leaving the SEOAL I was upset because when the league went to 10 teams it seemed to me the league was perfect. I knew Athens was down in some sports, but being Athens I knew the talent would come back and I guess I was wanting them to stay and wait for things to happen. At the time I felt Athens was taking a step back when joining the TVC but over the last few years they are equal or in a some cases are showing they are better than the SEOAL. Right now in the TVC Athens is at the top of every sport in the league where the other teams just might be in a couple. Someone can give them a run for their money in each sport but there's no team that can be with them in every sport. Athens is a Southeastern ,Ohio team and no matter what when they are trying to advance in a sport i will be behind them.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Pardon me while I chuckle, :lol: :lol: :lol:

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

noreply66 wrote:When I found out Athens was leaving the SEOAL I was upset because when the league went to 10 teams it seemed to me the league was perfect. I knew Athens was down in some sports, but being Athens I knew the talent would come back and I guess I was wanting them to stay and wait for things to happen. At the time I felt Athens was taking a step back when joining the TVC but over the last few years they are equal or in a some cases are showing they are better than the SEOAL. Right now in the TVC Athens is at the top of every sport in the league where the other teams just might be in a couple. Someone can give them a run for their money in each sport but there's no team that can be with them in every sport. Athens is a Southeastern ,Ohio team and no matter what when they are trying to advance in a sport i will be behind them.
What have you been drinking or smoking!

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Noreply- I'm sure all of us SEO people were cheering for Warren over St.V/St.M in the Basketball Game as well...

We love battling each other, but we also like seeing our fellow SEO teams do well!

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Of course the TVC is great as far as Athens is concerned. They are pretty much winning everything. The question going forward will be how much longer the other TVC schools continue to let one school with such a distinct advantage win all the league titles?

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Daniel Larusso wrote:Of course the TVC is great as far as Athens is concerned. They are pretty much winning everything. The question going forward will be how much longer the other TVC schools continue to let one school with such a distinct advantage win all the league titles?
Wisdom beyond your years Danielson,,,,,You have learned well..............

Return to “Football”