SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton Football 2015

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

HE'S RIGHT YOU KNOW.

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

They threw the ball a lot in practice when Lutz coached.They do the same with Vass.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Again with lutz? Isn't vass the coach. Vince Lombard was good too at one time. This is a new football era. Embrace it.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

tigercannon71 wrote:I think you can take the losses in the state game into two categories 1. Crappy officiating 2. The other team was better. It has nothing to do with not having a more diverse offense or passing game. Ironton got there running the ball why change what you do when you get there. We've seen that time and time again teams are winning or get to championship game and goes against what got them there and they get beat. You stick with what got you to the dance.
I pretty much agree with you, tc71. (Hoping I get the years right :roll: ) No doubt Ironton has been the victim of some questionable calls. Certainly in 88(SVSM), 93(Wauseon), and 99(Perkins); I was at the 82(SVSM) game but offhand I don't remember how the officiating was in that one. That leaves 73(Benedictine) and 92(Lake Catholic) which were simply better teams.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I gotta agree with that. I remember lutz in the wauseon game about coming unglued.

If I am correct and correct me please if I'm wrong, I only remember him ever getting tossed from a game once in his career. That was at, and I know most people might be shocked, Greenup County.

The officiating was so bad the fans about came out of the stands. Right before half time he said one too many choice words and they tossed him. I'm thinking 1984. I just remember Pemberton, not sure first name got the team and crowd all fired up and we came back for a nice win.

I would love to hear the story coming from coach Lutz or Burcham. Never know, he might have seen that his team was so flat the only way to fire them up was to get tossed. He might have went over and told the official to throw him out that night. Coaches sometimes have to do what they know will work.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

This topic shouldn't be ironton 2015, it should be " remember when lutz coached here"
How in the world can vass succeed?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

[quote="wobycat"]This
Last edited by fbnut on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote:This topic shouldn't be ironton 2015, it should be " remember when lutz coached here"
How in the world can vass succeed?
you never want to be the man that folows a legend

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Until Coach Vass proves his self Lutz will always be in the picture.
The man cast a huge shadow over Ironton's football history.
Heck he is Ironton's football history.
It is up to coach Vass to become Ironton's future.
Sadly he has to compete with Internet Play-stations I-phones and the simple fact what kids still play high school sports specialize now in one sport.
I love Ironton football even living in New Mexico now I can't wait to hear the games on internet radio.
But a fact is at onetime Ironton kids and some surrounding communities wanted to be a Ironton football player.
That time seems to have past to a degree but give coach Vass a chance and support and he may build a future to be proud of.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

maniac66 wrote:Until Coach Vass proves his self Lutz will always be in the picture.
The man cast a huge shadow over Ironton's football history.
Heck he is Ironton's football history.
It is up to coach Vass to become Ironton's future.
Sadly he has to compete with Internet Play-stations I-phones and the simple fact what kids still play high school sports specialize now in one sport.
I love Ironton football even living in New Mexico now I can't wait to hear the games on internet radio.
But a fact is at onetime Ironton kids and some surrounding communities wanted to be a Ironton football player.
That time seems to have past to a degree but give coach Vass a chance and support and he may build a future to be proud of.

You're right with all that, plus I think it goes to the fact football now starts in like kindergarten with flag football. That's way to early. By the time kids get to high School they are burnt out and don't play anymore. There's a lot that could be done to fix the problems.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's a great point cannon.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Is Ironton going to any 7 on 7 camps? If so does anyone know the dates?

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

anybody hear how many kids have been in the weight room?

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

The big decline is Ironton is no longer the northern KY/Lawrence county all star team they were in the 70's/80's

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

jealous much.
I promise you that didn't go on in the 70's.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I agree that kids start way too early. 4th grade was early enough. Playing outside being a kid is needed way more than anything prior to that age.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

When I coached youth football 2/3/4 was the B-team, Though I discouraged having any 2nd graders And 5/6 was the A team.But great point about starting too early.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

If they don't start early you will lose them to S O C C E R. Soccer starts at 4 years old. There is nothing wrong with having flag football that young. The reason kids get burnt out on it is because you have coaches that don't know how to make it a fun game for them to play. I took over a as a cross country coach of a team of 4 boys and 3 girls and was told that people don't want to run cross because it wasn't fun and it was hard work. I agreed it was hard work but it could be fun too. After the first year the word got out that a new coach was in and he is making it fun to run. The second year I had two full teams with 14 boys and 14 girls (you know you have to beat the hallways in school sometimes, their not always going to come to you). It grew until the last year I coach and I had a total of 57 kids running cross. I made it fun to run and they became champs and state finalist and one state champion. The High School I coach at was not as big as Ironton, it is a small school in the Springfield area. Make it fun and they will come to play. Greenon.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You're not going to lose them to soccer. Heck I say let them play soccer til it's time to start playing football. I mean you let them play soccer at a young age it gives them a sense of teamwork, plus they get to run around have fun and learn how to move. Then when football time comes its off to play football. Look at Coldwater if I'm not mistaken they don't have flag football or pee wee football. Their football starts at junior high. I think they have done pretty well at not losing kids to soccer and their football team is always pretty decent.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've read several times that the MAC schools do not have soccer, at least not at the high school level.

Return to “Football”