Riding the Bench

Portsmouth(14) @ (32)West

Post by Volunteer »

Who ya got?

Nut
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) @ Portsmouth West (1-0

Post by Nut »

I believe the Trojans win this by 2 touchdowns or more. The Ol and Dl will dominate this game.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

I'd like to see West get the victory in this one. They need to clean up their pass coverage. Fairland seemed to move the ball but had a great QB/WR combo. Up the middle needs to tighten up a bit as well.

Offensively, the QB for West has to do a better job getting rid of the ball when he sees his WR open. Too many times he would wait too long and the WR would then be covered, forcing him to scramble. He has to get rid of the ball when he doesn't have an option to throw when scrambling. He needs to throw it away and live to see another down.

Portsmouth will need to find a way to run the ball without the Parker RB. Word I was given is that he is out with a dislocated elbow. They will need to figure out a new way to move the ball on the ground.

Portsmouth line may prove to be the difference maker in this one.

If West shows up to play defensively, we could see a great game. If not, well, Portsmouth could march up and down the field.

I'll say Portsmouth 28, West 17

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth will have to focus on 4 things that are within their control. First, the Trojans must minimize penalties which were way too frequent vs. Valley. Second, the offense will have to be efficient without RB Talyn Parker. Third, can the PHS defense, which had a very good game vs. the Indians, bring that same level of play to the Rock? Fourth, Portsmouth must cover kickoffs better after allowing a long return for a TD by Valley's Gabe Streeter.

The Trojans are far from a finished product like everybody else, but are showing positive signs of being a good football team that could land themselves in the playoffs if some things are cleaned up.

Both teams have the opportunity to start 2-0. West will come out spirited for sure, especially with the game being on their home field.

GO TROJANS!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I thought Portsmouth D played very well vs Valley. They are very balanced on offense and I think they get better week to week.

Porstmouth 28
West 14

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

portsmouth 28-14

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Ptowntrojan61
Waterboy

Post by Ptowntrojan61 »

Portsmouth may have one of if not the best QB in the county.Kelly(Ports QB) has plenty of weapons to throw to including D. Parker Talyns older brother. I don't see West being able to stop the passing game of Portsmouth and don't forget that Kelly is also a dual threat that can run the ball on you. as far as the running back situation Johnson came in for Parker after he got hurt nd did a great job at picking up on his end. Johnson ended with 107 yards rushing.
Portsmouth main focus on defense is to keep barry in front of them. I seen it a few times where fairland would lose him in coverage and he would get a nice pass to him. Heard is a small quick back so Portsmouth will need to make sure they keep hands on him and don't let him get passed them.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

West needs to make Ports QB one dimensional. Keep him in the pocket and not let him beat them with his legs.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

noles_fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 pm West needs to make Ports QB one dimensional. Keep him in the pocket and not let him beat them with his legs.
Good thought but probably easier said than done. I saw Kelly play against Waverly and Valley. He's quick and he's fast. Not to mention pretty good size. I couldn't have been more impressed with him. Oh, he can pass on the run too. Tall task for West but good luck.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Kelly is impressive.

I think both offenses will have trouble stopping the other. I expect an exciting game.

Ptowntrojan61
Waterboy

Post by Ptowntrojan61 »

Westfan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 am
I think both offenses will have trouble stopping the other. I expect an exciting game.
West will be lucky to score 2 touchdowns. I see west struggling to to keep the qb off the ground and really get anything started on the ground. Portsmouth defense is much better up front than Fairland is

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Portsmouth by at least two touchdowns.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

toast wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:56 am
noles_fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 pm West needs to make Ports QB one dimensional. Keep him in the pocket and not let him beat them with his legs.
Good thought but probably easier said than done. I saw Kelly play against Waverly and Valley. He's quick and he's fast. Not to mention pretty good size. I couldn't have been more impressed with him. Oh, he can pass on the run too. Tall task for West but good luck.
Oh I know it will be a very tough task indeed. But that is what needs to be done to come out with the W.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I like the Trojans in this one but the Siders will make this a game I think.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

If we get the 1/2 - 3/4" of rain that is being forecast, I think Portsmouth's line size will give them the edge.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think Portsmouth has the edge in about every area. But rain can cause turnovers and then it's anyone's game.

OVCFAN83
Waterboy

Post by OVCFAN83 »

Look for West to keep this one close because of the weather. Turnovers going to play a big part in this one. Dry field Portsmouth by 3 TD though.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Loll,not sure how to weather can only hurt one team both have to play in it both teams could have. Problems holding into the ball Portsmouth has a good size full back that may benefit from a wet field. Not sure about west only problem would be the passing game and from what I've read neither team has one

tobehonest
Waterboy

Post by tobehonest »

West 20-13

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Trojans 27
Siders 20

Return to “Football”