2015 SOC 2 - Predictions, discussion, thoughts?

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Re: 2015 SOC 2 - Predictions, discussion, thoughts?

Post by Texas 2 »

Why won't the SOC let Jackson in your conference?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Jackson is not a good fit for the SOC because they are 1.5-2 times the size of all the other schools. Although if you look at all sports, they would not be the favorite across the board by any means, but for a conference to invite a team in that would immediately be the largest school is somewhat intimidating to some. Jackson has a lot to offer the right conference (good facilities, good gate, accessible location) but honestly, the SOC is a strong established conference that is not "in need" for additions. Jackson needs/wants a conference, the SOC doesn't need additional members right now. Heck, even Ironton St Joe applied recently and from my understanding was shot down by a wide margin and they were a good fit for the smaller division of the SOC. I think their biggest drawback was their facilities.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

I look for excitement again from the SOC2 again this year. Out of conference scheduling pays off big when the playoffs come knocking. Coming from a biased West fan I think people are going to overlook the Senators, and I hope that holds true. They will be in the mix of it.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

The conference needs more teams in it . From what I hear the coaches are struggling to find games . Everyone wants the big games but having to travel 2 to 3 hours away is not feasible to every school . Especially now since they have to find 6 non conference games . And everyone within 45 minutes is in a 7 team conference . So that only leaves weeks 1-3 open for the soc 2 teams to find a game. Someone does need added to the conference .

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Can't believe that the big bad SOCII is skeered to add Jackson to their league. Put on your big boy pants and add them to your league. Don't be Skeered :122246 :122246

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Adding a D3 school to a D5 conference isn't about being scared, it just isn't smart. Why don't they put their big boy panties on and head north to a conference?

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Come On Man - It's Jackson :122245

Sounds like you're all Skeered to me.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

What good would it do for Jackson to play a bunch of D5 and D6 schools? Does it help Jackson? The SOC is pretty healthy right now. Is there any reason they should add Jackson?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

nutronron2012 wrote:What good would it do for Jackson to play a bunch of D5 and D6 schools? Does it help Jackson? The SOC is pretty healthy right now. Is there any reason they should add Jackson?
100% agree. I don't think it would be good for Jackson.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Yeah, if the SOC II is gonna add someone, I can only see Northwest and/or Oak Hill being moved up unless the SOC expands and adds Ironton and/or Portsmouth in all-sports to SOC II, but it seems unlikely that the SOC would expand. Jackson at this time definitely is too large to join the SOC considering Jackson's boys enrollment is around 85 boys more than Minford and around 100 boys more than Northwest and Waverly. If Jackson's boys and girls enrollment were more around or less than 250 each, then I believe they may be considered by the SOC.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Jackson has applied to be in the SOCII so why would you be worried about what is good or bad for Jackson. The bottom line is that the SOCII is Skeered of competition. It's Jackson, it's not some state powerhouse. They are located 30 minutes up the road. Make your conference better, the SOCII is interested in adding Northwest or Oak Hill ?? That explains my point :lol: :lol:

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

NW was just bumped down to SOC 1 why would they look to add them, that's goofy? If the SOC ll would add any teams now is the time to add Portsmouth and or Ironton before it even considers Jackson. Closer and great gate in all sports.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

I think you're missing the point blackjack. Jackson is currently D3 by 25 boys. Minford may end up back at D5 and everyone else in SOC II is currently D5 except Valley (D6). How does competing in a primarily D5 conference benefit Jackson? I agree that it would be competitive and I think it would be nice to see Minford play Jackson like already Burg does in a non-conference game and those 2 games would be good for Jackson, but they don't benefit from playing Valley, Waverly, or West. And I wasn't implying that SOC II should or would be moving up Northwest or Oak Hill, I was only saying that that is the only move I see happening because the SOC obviously for some strange reason doesn't want Portsmouth and probably wouldn't want Ironton either.
Personally, I think it would be nice to see Portsmouth in SOC II as a 6th team in football and in place of South Webster in all other sports, where you drop down Webster to SOC II and add Ironton St. Joe to SOC I and split the main sports in SOC I into 2 divisions. Then Western, who's boys fall sports are only golf and cross country, add football to be the 8th team in SOC I football. That way the football divisions are even numbered (JV would be balanced 6-6), football scheduling is easier, SOC I cuts down on traveling a little bit in its main sports while maintaining or gaining more competitiveness, and SOC II would definitely be more competitive in all of its sports.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Honestly, I think what could possibly happen is that Eastern enters the SOC I in the near future, Oak Hill possibly even Northwest moves up to SOC 2. Eastern is already an SOC school in other sports, I think would be a better fit for that league.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Eastern is entering the SOC I in football this year. I think they will do very well immediately.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

The talk of SOC II expansion is fantasy, unless a team moves up from SOC I. Portsmouth was the most logical option and they weren't added. As most of us regular trolls know, they have moved on to the OVC...So, have at it boyz and girlz...Freedom of speech and expression rules....As for the league title, it is wide open for the taking with 4 teams battling it out for the crown...not sure about Waverly....

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

CoachC wrote:Honestly, I think what could possibly happen is that Eastern enters the SOC I in the near future, Oak Hill possibly even Northwest moves up to SOC 2. Eastern is already an SOC school in other sports, I think would be a better fit for that league.

Northwest wont be competitive in the SOC II......history already proves that.

Oak Hill threatened to leave the SOC for another conference if made to move up to the SOC II in football. So thats not happening.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

so it looks like to me you can pick what division you want to play in, oak hill and northwest in div 2 in every other sport, but hey not football its too rough, yet oak hill plays Burg Minford and have played ironton in football, so heck with the other div 2 teams let them have the problem of trying to find 6 non conference games especially during last few weeks of season. to me the soc conference charter is being manipulated or it needs to be redone, to many athletic directors saying you scratch my back I will scratch yours.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

For the life of me I will never understand why the SOCII didn't at least add Portsmouth. As both schools are D-5, Ironton would also be a good fit. Both are close with good facilities and would bring great gates. I agree with the above poster most teams within an hour are part of a 7 team conference, so that leaves the SOCII teams looking for 6 games. As I've heard many theories and some are accusing the SOCII schools of being racist, does anyone know the REAL reasons why PHS wasn't allowed into the SOCII?

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Vladimir wrote:For the life of me I will never understand why the SOCII didn't at least add Portsmouth. As both schools are D-5, Ironton would also be a good fit. Both are close with good facilities and would bring great gates. I agree with the above poster most teams within an hour are part of a 7 team conference, so that leaves the SOCII teams looking for 6 games. As I've heard many theories and some are accusing the SOCII schools of being racist, does anyone know the REAL reasons why PHS wasn't allowed into the SOCII?
Because they used to run the score up when they played SOC schools back in the 80's and 90's (when they were very good) and screamed "We dont need the SOC....we belong to the mighty SEOAL".

People didnt forget that, so they blackballed them when they begged the SOC to let them in when the Mighty SEOAL fell apart.

I am in agreement with you, Portsmouth would have been a great addition to the SOC II. I'm still not sure why the Portsmouth vs Minford series only lasted only 2 years.

Return to “Football”