2015 SOC 2 - Predictions, discussion, thoughts?

oneoak
Varsity

Re: 2015 SOC 2 - Predictions, discussion, thoughts?

Post by oneoak »

I haven't heard any rumors of Oak Hill wanting to go elsewhere. What league would it be? I like the league for everything but football. I think that we are too big for the SOC I, but the SOC II would be very tough for us. It's not just the size of the schools in the SOC II, as we are comparable. The SOC II in my opinion has been tougher than other area leagues with similar size schools.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

GoBucks1047 wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:St Joe was voted down a couple months ago by a count of something like 12-4, so I would guess their chances of ever entering the SOC are about 0%
Well I'm disappointed now. I mean St. Joe usually plays 10-12 games against SOC I opponents a season in basketball and traveling to Symmes Valley is a longer trip than St. Joe so it's not like they're traveling any farther for a game. What is the harm in them joining and getting Webster out of SOC II? Was it said why they were voted down?
I have no way to know what the thinking was behind the votes. Their facilities are outdated, outdoor fields are poor at best, mediocre attendance....so what does St Joe have that would better the conference in any way? If I was asked to vote, that is how I would approach it.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

oneoak wrote:I haven't heard any rumors of Oak Hill wanting to go elsewhere. What league would it be? I like the league for everything but football. I think that we are too big for the SOC I, but the SOC II would be very tough for us. It's not just the size of the schools in the SOC II, as we are comparable. The SOC II in my opinion has been tougher than other area leagues with similar size schools.
Personally, I think it was an idle 'threat' that they would leave if forced to move up to the SOCII in football. I don't think the TVC would want another small division team and if they joined the OVC, they would have to play Ironton, Portsmouth, Fairland, etc......so I really don't think there are any options to go elsewhere.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

oneoak wrote:I haven't heard any rumors of Oak Hill wanting to go elsewhere. What league would it be? I like the league for everything but football. I think that we are too big for the SOC I, but the SOC II would be very tough for us. It's not just the size of the schools in the SOC II, as we are comparable. The SOC II in my opinion has been tougher than other area leagues with similar size schools.
What good does it do for the Oaks to beat up on the small schools in Soc 1. Sure doesn't prepare them the playoffs. I think they should be in the soc2. Just ask Valley best thing they done was move up, look what is has done for their program. But the Oaks did share the 2014 soc1 gold football with Northwest.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

It was just chatter on a sports forum...Nothing to it as far as I'm concerned...Id be surprised if Waverly or Oakhill left the league...It seems Oakhill is in a better place than Northwest and I think the competition in the SOC II would elevate the program. Doesn't Oakhill already play the Burg, Ironton and Minford ? Adding West, Valley and Waverly to the schedule isn't that much of a leap, IMO.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

It might sound crazy, but, I think Piketon would be a nice SOC II addition. Geographically, they fit perfectly. SOC I, I would leave the same for now.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Burg plays Jackson every year. They don't care what Div they are.Its a challenge but great match up and look what happened last year.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

If nobody is added except for Eastern for football, I believe it means that Oak Hill, or Northwest must move up to SOC II. If Portsmouth and Ironton would be added however, both levels would be set to form what may be a conference with much more significance come playoff time. I don't mean just making it, I mean going deep into them. In basketball, there would still be the lopsided levels that require teams like South Webster and Oak Hill to be SOC II. I have always felt that if any Scioto County team in SOC II played a Lawrence County team, it should be Ironton. Just the gate payoff alone would boost the schools financial situations. It's time for the SOC to realize the bigger picture of gaining these two schools and what they bring to the table. I have heard about security needed for the bigger crowds because of past issues, but even that means jobs for off duty deputies, or others in that line of business. I am tired of seeing half empty bleachers at some games because of scheduling teams just to make a schedule. Make the conference games take up all but 3-4 games of your season and watch the level of play and possibly numbers of butts in the seats grow also. I hope to live long enough to see both Portsmouth and Ironton in the SOC.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Very good points. But if Ironton and Portsmouth left the OVC now what message is the schools sending out. The OVC went out and welcomed Ironton, Portsmouth and Gallipolis into the league I would hope they honor their commitment. Not saying the SOC is not a fine league but they had their chances and did not move on it.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

Coach C very good points , however it has been said that if oak hill is FORCED to move up they will leave the league. That is 100 percent true, Northwest will not come back up that has been stated also. However the deal was made for northwest to move down it was accomplished a year ahead of time !!! When you have that many D1 schools that get to vote on the D2 issues do you think they care what Wheelersburg Minford West and Waverly and Valleys problems are, bottom line is this The charter needs to be written again, no more INSIDER TRADING on hey you vote yes for us and and we will vote for you! The small schools don't care that those teams are now looking for 6 non conference games, now how are these teams gonna find that many games within reasonable distance, every league within 45 minutes of these teams is in a 7 team league, look on open date board at the SOC 2 teams looking for games , Valley still needs a week 5 and 8, west needs a 5 I think Minford finally picked up a game waverly just found one, Northwest is gonna take care of itself , bottom line

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

game day wrote:Very good points. But if Ironton and Portsmouth left the OVC now what message is the schools sending out. The OVC went out and welcomed Ironton, Portsmouth and Gallipolis into the league I would hope they honor their commitment. Not saying the SOC is not a fine league but they had their chances and did not move on it.
I agree. While I am a fan of the SOC, would I want Ironton and Portsmouth to jump ship on the OVC this fast and join the SOC? No, because that would make me wonder if they were going to turn around and leave the SOC just as quickly if another offer presented itself. As a Burg fan, I really don't care what conference they are in because we play them both anyway. If Waverly would make a decision to move to the SVC, which has been rumored for a couple years, then the option to add teams (or a major re-alignment) would be warranted, but for now I think the SOC is fine even with only 5 SOCII schools for football.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

4th n Goal wrote:
game day wrote:Very good points. But if Ironton and Portsmouth left the OVC now what message is the schools sending out. The OVC went out and welcomed Ironton, Portsmouth and Gallipolis into the league I would hope they honor their commitment. Not saying the SOC is not a fine league but they had their chances and did not move on it.
I agree. While I am a fan of the SOC, would I want Ironton and Portsmouth to jump ship on the OVC this fast and join the SOC? No, because that would make me wonder if they were going to turn around and leave the SOC just as quickly if another offer presented itself. As a Burg fan, I really don't care what conference they are in because we play them both anyway. If Waverly would make a decision to move to the SVC, which has been rumored for a couple years, then the option to add teams (or a major re-alignment) would be warranted, but for now I think the SOC is fine even with only 5 SOCII schools for football.
They wouldnt be fine for long if they went down to 5 schools in the SOC II. With the bigger conferences all across Ohio, finding enough non conference games would be a major problem. Some schools are already driving 2 hours away to fill gaps. It will never work with 5 unless schools are ok having open weeks, which means less computer points.

Obvious way to fix the problem:

1.) Stop letting the tail wag the dog. If it gets to the point that a school must move up to SOC II, give them the option to or let them go. To have a school threaten to leave if they cant beat up on the smaller schools in the SOC I all season is laughable. Show them the door. Cant have 9 in one conference and 5 in the other. Remove them and open that spot up for another school in the near future.

2.) When voting is required, split the conferences up. It makes no sense for SOC I schools to vote on a school potentially coming in to compete with the SOC II schools and vice versa. I never understood why they had a say so on each others divisions of the conference. Obviously there are certain issues that get voted on as a whole, but it seems like it would eliminate the fear of the small schools accepting a larger school in to the league who wont even be their competition in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Is the goal conference championship or state championship? If you load your schedule with teams just because of driving distance what do you do to prepare your team for the big boys in waiting up north? Since the 70s has the SOC had more than 3 schools in a single season that could have went the distance? Right now Burg has been top dog for the better part of 20 years, give or take a season here or there with West right behind them. Valley has done well the last 10 years along with Minford. Now how about the rest? Waverly has not been good since the 90s. I say gas up the bus and go play the big dogs.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Westsider1993 wrote:Is the goal conference championship or state championship? If you load your schedule with teams just because of driving distance what do you do to prepare your team for the big boys in waiting up north? Since the 70s has the SOC had more than 3 schools in a single season that could have went the distance? Right now Burg has been top dog for the better part of 20 years, give or take a season here or there with West right behind them. Valley has done well the last 10 years along with Minford. Now how about the rest? Waverly has not been good since the 90s. I say gas up the bus and go play the big dogs.

I've always wanted to see the burg play some big central or northern oh schools or some powerhouse schools from ky or wv

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I would like for valley to pick up oak hill on the schedule. I have enjoyed playing these new teams the last few years. The seating at Fleming county tho was embarassing. This year I think we play another ky team. I do agree tho that we need to add 1 more team. Portsmouth made the most sense but that ship has sailed.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

izladoom wrote:I would like for valley to pick up oak hill on the schedule. I have enjoyed playing these new teams the last few years. The seating at Fleming county tho was embarassing. This year I think we play another ky team. I do agree tho that we need to add 1 more team. Portsmouth made the most sense but that ship has sailed.
Looked at both Portsmouth and Valley's schedule on OHSAA's website and it says they're both still scheduled to play each other @ Portsmouth August 27th unless they've cancelled the series and I not seen anything about it. Oak Hill-Valley would be a great game to watch.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

I really don't understand why any school who doesn't field a team in a sport should even have a vote on the alignment for that sport. Football schools vote on football matters, Basketball on basketball, etc. When threats to leave are made, show them the door. Bullying to obtain a preferred outcome should always be met with swift retribution, no matter who it is. On the thought of playing teams up north, I'm not a huge fan of long travel guys, unless it's in the playoffs!

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

CoachC wrote:I really don't understand why any school who doesn't field a team in a sport should even have a vote on the alignment for that sport. Football schools vote on football matters, Basketball on basketball, etc. When threats to leave are made, show them the door. Bullying to obtain a preferred outcome should always be met with swift retribution, no matter who it is. On the thought of playing teams up north, I'm not a huge fan of long travel guys, unless it's in the playoffs!
Best post about the topic of SOC expansion!!!

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

If im not correct, didnt Valley used to play Oak Hill? I think a good idea for Valley would be for them to pick up a couple of small or large KY teams on their schedule. Like Raceland, Russell, Fairview, Greenup County, Lewis County, Boyd County or even Ashland. (This has continuously helped Ironton in past seasons for Computer Points.)

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

After thorough reading. Im going to make an early prediction on the SOC II.

1. Valley
2. Wheelersburg
3. Portsmouth West
4. Minford
5. Waverly

My #3 and #4 can be easily interchangeable.

Return to “Football”