Sciotoville East New Head Coach?

ddp
Riding the Bench

Re: Sciotoville East New Head Coach?

Post by ddp »

east will always be east a few wins a year at the most nothing more .

what I hear= Barrick takes over basketball coaching= bailey wants the football job and bailey is the AD so guess what?

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

Tartanblue wrote:If true that TG is leaving for another job, I wish him the best of luck. He is an East guy but you also have to look at opportunities when given a chance. Also if it is true East has a chance to make a big step forward in the program with the right hire and the talent they have returning. For me personally I would like to see Shaffer get the chance to take over. He is someone who knows the kids and their ability and will put them in the positions to win games and bring back SOC I titles and playoffs chances for the Tartans.

you say a BIG step forward, you think TG is holding them back?

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

alabama mike wrote:TG is a class individual and man. He was born and raised in Sciotoville and bleeds Tartan Blue! He is a man if integrity and principles and a role model that any parent should be thankful to have as a head coach. IMO, it is not right or fair to him or his family to put this type of stuff on here but that is my opinion.

One of the problems that a coach has to deal with at a small school is that if one guy gets hurt, you have to move 2-3 guys around to try and hide any weakness. If you lose 2-3 guys to injury, suspension or sickness for a game or two, it is going to be difficult to run more than a very simple base offense and defense. How many games did East play with its best 11 last year? If not TG, who is the great coach that will win 8,9 or 10 games a year?

In closing, I will say that yes, I know him personally and we ARE NOT related.
:lol:
Last edited by Axe N Shield on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

I heard sometime back that TG was going to South Point and that some of the boosters where asking about a outside candidate for the job. Only time will tell.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

freebee wrote:I heard sometime back that TG was going to South Point and that some of the boosters where asking about a outside candidate for the job. Only time will tell.
A outside coach would be great! But, every time they do something happens they end up leaving! Either something comes up with the coach or some kind of issue comes up with school board with the coach!

If they pick someone from outside to hire; the school board will insist that the new coach at least keep the assistants that TG had that are teachers! Because the coaching positions are part of their monetary packages! But, they will tell the public under the disguised reasons of "the kids are so use to certain coaches" or if the new coach isn't a teacher; "you need to have a teacher as a assistant to check on kids grades!" I can see their point on both of these reasons but, how about this; can't a teacher check on grades and report eligibility? Even better.. isn't that what your AD is support to do? And, as far as being use to coaches! It's football! Players are leaving there more so than coaches anyway! Going to bigger and greener pastures!

1987 Viking Alumni
Waterboy

Post by 1987 Viking Alumni »

Axe - Did someone hurt your feelings in Sciotoville? :122247

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am not a Language Arts teacher who specializes in grammar but WOW!!!! Can I offer you some suggestions?
Axe N Shield wrote:
freebee wrote:I heard sometime back that TG was going to South Point and that some of the boosters where asking about a outside candidate for the job. Only time will tell.[/quote}

A outside coach would be great! But, every time they do something happens they end up leaving! Either something comes up with the coach or some kind of issue comes up with school board with the coach!

If they pick someone from outside to hire; the school board will insist that the new coach at least keep the assistants that TG had that are teachers! Because the coaching positions are part of their monetary packages! But, they will tell the public under the disguised reasons of "the kids are so use to certain coaches" or if the new coach isn't a teacher; "you need to have a teacher as a assistant to check on kids grades!" I can see their point on both of these reasons but, how about this; can't a teacher check on grades and report eligibility? Even better.. isn't that what your AD is support to do? And, as far as being use to coaches! It's football! Players are leaving there more so than coaches anyway! Going to bigger and greener pastures!
Should be "an outside coach would be great."

How about "Every time they do, (comma) they end up leaving!

The school board will insist that the new coach at least (keeps) the assistants......

Most sentences don't start with the word "because". We use that to extend a sentence.....

Also, most sentences don't start with "but". Again, we use those to connect simple statements into a complex thought.

I think the term is "used to" not "use to".

Not sure what this symbol (") means??? That usually starts or ends a quote. It's not just thrown at the end of a word like punctuation.

Try this, "You need to have a teacher as an assistant to check on kids' grades!"

I think that is what the AD is "supposed" to do.

"And" doesn't start most sentences. That word is used as a conjunction. Search youtube.com for conjunction junction and you'll see what I mean. Plus it's "used" to coaches.

There are a few others but again, I'm not a grammar expert. It's just hard to read your constant complaints with so many grammatical errors.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:I am not a Language Arts teacher who specializes in grammar but WOW!!!! Can I offer you some suggestions?
Axe N Shield wrote:
freebee wrote:I heard sometime back that TG was going to South Point and that some of the boosters where asking about a outside candidate for the job. Only time will tell.[/quote}

Should be "an outside coach would be great."

How about "Every time they do, (comma) they end up leaving!

The school board will insist that the new coach at least (keeps) the assistants......

Most sentences don't start with the word "because". We use that to extend a sentence.....

Also, most sentences don't start with "but". Again, we use those to connect simple statements into a complex thought.

I think the term is "used to" not "use to".

Not sure what this symbol (") means??? That usually starts or ends a quote. It's not just thrown at the end of a word like punctuation.

Try this, "You need to have a teacher as an assistant to check on kids' grades!"

I think that is what the AD is "supposed" to do.

"And" doesn't start most sentences. That word is used as a conjunction. Search youtube.com for conjunction junction and you'll see what I mean. Plus it's "used" to coaches.

There are a few others but again, I'm not a grammar expert. It's just hard to read your constant complaints with so many grammatical errors.
Nice to see that we have a "Grammar Cop" on here! I noticed you said that your not a Language Arts teacher. That means you could be a teacher at Sciotoville! Because you can teach many classes there and have a degree in Basket Weaving and teach History or Mathematics! Just get hired as a cook and cozy up to certain people and you will be a Professor or Neonatal Nurse Practitioner in one to two short years!

Here is a suggestion for you to consider! Maybe, you could check with the School of Choice and, see if you could scour their State Report Card and maybe come up with some solution to the plunging status within the county! I don't believe that even Portsmouth City Schools at their worst appeared to be so grim or desolate!

fhs33
Waterboy

Post by fhs33 »

I wish there was a "LIKE" button on this site when someone makes a good point lol.

I also hate it when someone doesn't have a valid argument so they start attacking grammar in a sports forum. Sure it would have been nice if it was all correct but we all still got the point of what was bein said.

Axe is right though. You could bring in ANY coach at East and they are going to struggle right. Not until something happens that makes good kids and parents actually want to be part of the program.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

East will go 8-2 at worst next year as long as TG ain't calling the shots, they have some talent in that building for a smaller school, it seems like the former folk that attended East high school don't want anything positive for the kids currently attending the school ....maybe because a lack of success themselves, I believe things are headed in the right direction, East will be relevant!!!! To be continued.....

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

91blue14 wrote:you start a thread about a new coach that's false advertisement in my opinion
So much for false advertising :122245

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

baitbuster wrote:east will always be east a few wins a year at the most nothing more .

what I hear= Barrick takes over basketball coaching= bailey wants the football job and bailey is the AD so guess what?
East won't always be East, look at the basketball team right now(they brought in barrick to help), football team is making changes(time will tell), they got a new baseball coach(lets see what he will do), to say they will always be the same is to say that every kid has the same talent level and every coach is the exact same, NOT TRUE.....sorry you must not have been any count but don't discredit these kids that are still trying to live out their dreams.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Buckeye-4-Life wrote:Why would there be??
I guess someone thought there needed to be lol

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

buckeyes911 wrote:
baitbuster wrote:east will always be east a few wins a year at the most nothing more .

East won't always be East, look at the basketball team right now(they brought in barrick to help), football team is making changes(time will tell), they got a new baseball coach(lets see what he will do), to say they will always be the same is to say that every kid has the same talent level and every coach is the exact same, NOT TRUE.....sorry you must not have been any count but don't discredit these kids that are still trying to live out their dreams.

not trying to discredit the kids , not their fault why a new baseball coach? what did the old one get himself ":IN": TO?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

baitbuster wrote:
Tartanblue wrote:If true that TG is leaving for another job, I wish him the best of luck. He is an East guy but you also have to look at opportunities when given a chance. Also if it is true East has a chance to make a big step forward in the program with the right hire and the talent they have returning. For me personally I would like to see Shaffer get the chance to take over. He is someone who knows the kids and their ability and will put them in the positions to win games and bring back SOC I titles and playoffs chances for the Tartans.

TG took over a program that needed to be worked on with multiple coaching changes over the years before him, and began to turn things around.Now they need a coach that can get them over the hump and win a playoff game

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

Tartanblue wrote:
baitbuster wrote:

TG took over a program that needed to be worked on with multiple coaching changes over the years before him, and began to turn things around.Now they need a coach that can get them over the hump and win a playoff game

so you ARE saying he was holding them back by not being able to win a play off game

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

He only coached in one playoff game against SCC and lost to a team that was well coached and made the right adjustments when needed. You can try to read into my posts all you like. The facts are he turned righted a ship that was on the verge of sinking had a couple down years which can be expected for such a small school, and last season had a team that was talented but didnt perform to many peoples expectations that were placed on the team once they had a D-1 commit. Should they have made the playoffs it is debatable, did they make the playoffs no they didnt but a win or two more they would have been in.

I went to East, graduated from there but also am realistic. There are people that get on here and want to bash programs for reasons that are their own, there are people that see nothing wrong with their programs, and those who have unreal expectations for their team. Lets be honest here...from the time i was there and since no matter the sport there have been teams in the league that people want to take a back seat to...for the longest time in football it was Valley before they moved up. This next hire needs to be a person who is wanting their team to be in the drivers seat and is not just happy winning the conference, but a person who wants to win it all. I personally have my choice of who it should be but that is up to the board when they make a hire. However, one thing i can say is that whoever is hired will be getting a team that is very talented now and will have talent coming through the next few years. Also who ever is hired should be able to bring in their own people if wanting to do so.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

buckeyes911 wrote:East will go 8-2 at worst next year as long as TG ain't calling the shots, they have some talent in that building for a smaller school, it seems like the former folk that attended East high school don't want anything positive for the kids currently attending the school ....maybe because a lack of success themselves, I believe things are headed in the right direction, East will be relevant!!!! To be continued.....
That will never happen unless they play a cupcake non-league schedule! And, then it is a reach!

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

Tartanblue wrote:He only coached in one playoff game against SCC and lost to a team that was well coached and made the right adjustments when needed. You can try to read into my posts all you like. The facts are he turned righted a ship that was on the verge of sinking had a couple down years which can be expected for such a small school, and last season had a team that was talented but didnt perform to many peoples expectations that were placed on the team once they had a D-1 commit. Should they have made the playoffs it is debatable, did they make the playoffs no they didnt but a win or two more they would have been in.

I went to East, graduated from there but also am realistic. There are people that get on here and want to bash programs for reasons that are their own, there are people that see nothing wrong with their programs, and those who have unreal expectations for their team. Lets be honest here...from the time i was there and since no matter the sport there have been teams in the league that people want to take a back seat to...for the longest time in football it was Valley before they moved up. This next hire needs to be a person who is wanting their team to be in the drivers seat and is not just happy winning the conference, but a person who wants to win it all. I personally have my choice of who it should be but that is up to the board when they make a hire. However, one thing i can say is that whoever is hired will be getting a team that is very talented now and will have talent coming through the next few years. Also who ever is hired should be able to bring in their own people if wanting to do so.
Todd has had more than one playoff game experience with coaching! He has also had experience as a assistant!

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

If Sciotoville truly wanted to make the right move for the Head coaching position they would hire someone who has no ties to East in the past! You have had in the last 30+ yrs. People who have graduated from East at the helm! Corriell, Smith, Davis, McCafferty, Davis (Round 2), Hall, Bond, Todd. That's 6 out of the last 8 coaches that graduated from East over the last 30+ years. The only East Graduate that has made to playoffs more than once is Davis; who started coaching there in 1982 and had a couple years off and then back again after McCafferty was let go for reasons that was not disclosed! And, then he goes to Chillicothe area and is busted for drug use! I believe it was similar circumstances here and just passed on to the next district! A lot of that happens in all districts though. Hope the next choice doesn't have a similar problem up on the hill! Hall was only here for one year and had success after Davis left and Hall had probably one of the top 3 or 4 teams in East history!

So, with that being said; East has made the playoffs 4 or 5 times ever and, has lost in the first round every time! To stay with a East affiliated person as the Skipper would be status quo. The program is on its last legs and if the School Board wants to continue to go down that same path; then less than mediocre is what you will get! Larry Hall applied for the Head coaching position at East in 1982! East went with Darryl Davis. A Sciotoville graduate! Coached for 20+ yrs there! Had just under a .500 winning percentage. And, we all know what happened there. Todd played for Darryl (his father-in-law) and coached with him as a assistant! I wonder where East would have went if Larry Hall had gotten the job instead of Davis? Maybe, a few playoff wins and maybe a few more times as well!

Oh well! Ralph, maybe they could get you as an assistant this year if they get your choice as coach! As for me, I might pull a Darryl! You never know who might be across the field from you! Especially, if it's in house selection!

Prediction: East School Board will select someone who is already there because they won't want to put the effort in to find a quality coach or spend the money!

Return to “Football”